Strange question about TVs on Anthem.

This will sound very strange but I am on the Anthem in April and will be wanting to watch some videos that will be with me in my computer whilst in my stateroom ( nothing dodgy) I need to know what connections are on the rear of the TVs if any,  in the staterooms, USB, HDMI,Scart whatever so that I can see if it’s doable to watch on the TVs our not. (Some hotels have TVs specially made without any external inputs, maybe RCI do the same)

a photo would be best but a description will be more than good. 
thank you. 
Mike 

Hahaha!  I bring some small tools and ext. cord and hook up my Firestick.  That way DH and I are spared Cruise TV and can watch what we like.  HDMI, USB and Component all available.  I even bring along an IR adapter since phones stopped adding em a few years ago, just in case I have to change the input and can't from their wonky remote control.

Have fun!

2 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Hahaha!  I bring some small tools and ext. cord and hook up my Firestick.  That way DH and I are spared Cruise TV and can watch what we like.  HDMI, USB and Component all available.  I even bring along an IR adapter since phones stopped adding em a few years ago, just in case I have to change the input and can't from their wonky remote control.

Have fun!

Thank you for the remote control info to, I’d never have thought about that one or the firestick for that matter. Very useful response. 
thank you. Top tips🥳

4 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Have fun!

I keep hearing extension cords aren’t allowed.  I’d love to hear what kind/how!

I bring a standard 6' household extension cord and I never had to go to the naughty room.  I believe extensions with surge protection are not allowed.  I also carry a cheap universal remote to change the HDMI port.

To those who say "Why watch TV? You are on vacation!".  For some, that is a part of vacationing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sburrus4 said:

I keep hearing extension cords aren’t allowed.  I’d love to hear what kind/how!

3 hours ago, ridgecrest said:

I bring a standard 6' household extension cord and I never had to go to the naughty room.  I believe extensions with surge protection are not allowed.  I also carry a cheap universal remote to change the HDMI port.

To those who say "Why watch TV? You are on vacation!".  For some, that is a part of vacationing!

Extension cords are actually prohibited, but it's hit or miss whether they are spotted and confiscated.

• 7 months later...

To use the HDMI input you typically have to disconnect the TV from the ship's network by unplugging the RJ11 "telephone" type connector and then power cycle the TV.  Otherwise a remote control, even your own, can't change inputs as this function is locked out.  

On this class the TVs only have this data connection, they don't use a conventional signal input for the ship TV channels.   The RJ11 also allows you to look at your account and do interactive functions with the TV.  Once the TV has been powered up without the network connection you can change inputs.  IME I have had to physically unplug the power cord to the TV to cycle it after unplugging the RJ11, a soft power on hasn't worked for me.  

To get back to normal ship channels do this again - plug the RJ11 back in and power cycle the TV.

I did have two cabins on Anthem where the TV would not swing out.  I've done it before and know just how much force you need to apply but it simply didn't work in an interior VB cabin I had while it has worked in every balcony cabin I have had on this class.  Same with a JS - the wall mount doesn't swing away and I couldn't access the HDMI input.  This past January was the last experience with a TV that wouldn't swing in a JS.

56 minutes ago, steelersfan4ever said:

I never cruised on RC before do they give you many TV channels?

Not a whole lot. Sometimes they'll have the same movie on several channels but in a different language.

Channels include:

-Events coming up on the ship

-live video feed from the front of the ship

-videos of events that have already occurred during you cruise (IE: Love and Marriage game from the previous night)

-Shopping guides (advertising for ships store or shore shopping)

-old TV shows (they used to do this a lot years ago with shows like Ozzie & Harriet etc..)

-interactive guide to check your account

-movies on demand for a fee

-Live sports events

To give you an idea of what you are pulling against to swing the TV out here are some pics from Ovation.  Its designed to swing away so you can watch TV from the sofa so it's not like you are doing something they don't want you to do, at least in cabins that feature the swinging wall mount.

ov_tv-3.jpg

ov_tv-1.jpg

ov_tv-4.jpg

ov_tv-5.jpg

I brought a remote from home and I use my phone instead of bringing a Roku or Firestick so I can also play stuff I have on my phone and use other apps.  The Prime Video app has all the content a firestick can access and leaving the firestick at home means one less thing to pack and potentially forget in the back of the TV when debarking. 

ov_tv-6.jpg

This is how I watched a GoT episode.

ov_tv-7.jpg

Edited by twangster

3 hours ago, twangster said:

To use the HDMI input you typically have to disconnect the TV from the ship's network by unplugging the RJ11 "telephone" type connector and then power cycle the TV.  Otherwise a remote control, even your own, can't change inputs as this function is locked out.  

On this class the TVs only have this data connection, they don't use a conventional signal input for the ship TV channels.   The RJ11 also allows you to look at your account and do interactive functions with the TV.  Once the TV has been powered up without the network connection you can change inputs.  IME I have had to physically unplug the power cord to the TV to cycle it after unplugging the RJ11, a soft power on hasn't worked for me.  

To get back to normal ship channels do this again - plug the RJ11 back in and power cycle the TV.

I did have two cabins on Anthem where the TV would not swing out.  I've done it before and know just how much force you need to apply but it simply didn't work in an interior VB cabin I had while it has worked in every balcony cabin I have had on this class.  Same with a JS - the wall mount doesn't swing away and I couldn't access the HDMI input.  This past January was the last experience with a TV that wouldn't swing in a JS.

In the past we've been able to use our firestick but last time (2019) on Adventure we had trouble. Something to do with the new log on code for the ships internet Surf-n-Stream we were told by an Electrical Engineer onboard that came to our cabin. Suggested we bring a travel router next time...Thoughts on this ? 

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

In the past we've been able to use our firestick but last time (2019) on Adventure we had trouble. Something to do with the new log on code for the ships internet Surf-n-Stream we were told by an Electrical Engineer onboard that came to our cabin. Suggested we bring a travel router next time...Thoughts on this ? 

On Oasis in December I brought a Firestick, Chromecast and an AppleTv to do a test of which works best.  I couldn't get any of then to work with the captive portal. Despite having a browser installed on the Firestick I couldn't get it to pull up the Voom login portal.   it worked at the hotel but not on the ship.  It's an older Firestick though.

This is another reason why I just use my phone.  It works and I have it with me.  

On Anthem you will need a Samsung remote control in order to switch to the HDMI input that you connect to, and of course an HDMI cable. All the TVs also support Miracast, but you'll still need a remote to be able to maneuver on the screens to set that up.

Samsung appears to have a very consistent remote control interface, so a programmable universal remote is generally sufficient, or you can buy one of the many Samsung-specific replacement remotes.

I bought one from an ebay.com seller, specifically advertised as a replacement for model "AA59-00652A". It cost about $8.17 including shipping a couple years ago.

For convenience, I carry around a 15-feet Redmere HDMI ultra-thin cable I had purchased a long time ago; the Redmere brand refers to it using a tiny transceiver chip in the cable connector to boost the signal over extremely small cabling, much thinner than typical. The benefit is having a very lightweight but lengthy cable to use when traveling. Search on amazon.com for "hdmi ultra-thin redmere" and you'll see several options and will see what I mean regarding cabling size. All the TV's are just 1080p capable, so you also don't really need to worry about 4K-compatibility though most can support the slightly higher bitrates needed for basic 4K/60Hz speeds.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

On Oasis in December I brought a Firestick, Chromecast and an AppleTv to do a test of which works best.  I couldn't get any of then to work with the captive portal. Despite having a browser installed on the Firestick I couldn't get it to pull up the Voom login portal.   it worked at the hotel but not on the ship.  It's an older Firestick though.

This is another reason why I just use my phone.  It works and I have it with me.  

Thanks for your info.

But not interested in watching a movie on my phone.....if this is what you mean.

Wondering if a new firestick would make any difference?

3 hours ago, BND said:

Why do you need to watch them on the tv?  Watch them on your computer, then you don't have to worry about the connection.

Because...those of us that prefer to watch on a bigger screen :classic_rolleyes: