Princess wont refund me for cancelled trip

Veerraj

On 2/17/2020 at 10:08 PM, Veerraj said:

Will never sail with them again. Our cruise is scheduled in March. In light of the coronavirus, I requested a refund/ future credit to cancel my trip. This is a huge cruise company yet when it comes to a global crisis like the spread of the virus, the company is money minded. Instead of taking precautions to cancel future sailings while the outbreak is in effect, they rip customers off by not refunding and customers are forced to cancel at their own cost. Customers are cancelling without a refund as a precaution to help stop the virus from spreading further. Yet this company is focussed on generating revenue at the cost of well being of its customers and the world in general. The diamond princess belonging to this same company is stuck holding coronavirus infected customers. How does it expect future sailings to happen as planned. Where is social responsibility?

The agent for Princess cruises told me numerous times that my only option is to cancel the trip and receive 50 percent refund. As sailing was 1 month away, I had no choice but to cancel the trip on Feb 12 2020. 2 days later Princess announced that they would be cancelling this sailing. When I contacted Princess about the other 50 percent refund, they have refused to respond to me. I think it is only fair if they refund my remaining 50 percent as the ship wont be sailing anyway on March 12th out of Singapore.

If I do not receive the remaining 50 percent as a consumer I will take this further as this is not fair and I urge other customers who cancelled their trip due to the virus to fight for a full refund.

Why didnt you just wait for Princess to cancel?

8 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Why didnt you just wait for Princess to cancel?

I think you are seeing the issue through the lens of hindsight.  At the time OP cancelled, Princess wasn't cancelling all cruises.  I'm in the same situation with non refundable air tickets in April.  The airline hasn't cancelled the flight and I'm certainly not getting inside a metal tube with a bunch of other people anytime soon.  I'd rather lose my airfare than my health.  The OP had to cancel when he/she did or the cancellation penalty would have gone from 50% to 75%.  OP waited until the last day before the penalty would have gone up.  I'm not sure what the OP could have done differently other than purchasing CFAR insurance.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I think you are seeing the issue through the lens of hindsight.  At the time OP cancelled, Princess wasn't cancelling all cruises.  I'm in the same situation with non refundable air tickets in April.  The airline hasn't cancelled the flight and I'm certainly not getting inside a metal tube with a bunch of other people anytime soon.  I'd rather lose my airfare than my health.  The OP had to cancel when he/she did or the cancellation penalty would have gone from 50% to 75%.  OP waited until the last day before the penalty would have gone up.  I'm not sure what the OP could have done differently other than purchasing CFAR insurance.

Ok..Thanks for clearing that up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Yes that is absolutely correct. I got in touch with the Princess agent many times prior to cancelling however, I was told that they are keeping a close monitor and cruise would be going ahead. I even suggested cancellation for FCC however this was denied. I waited till the very last moment and opted for 50 percent refund vs 25 percent.

Later it was announced that Princess cancelled that very cruise and we would be receiving cancellation fees (so full refund) and 50% FCC. It has been over a month now and I havent received anything back. Now, I understand that there might be delay in processing payments so I emailed Princess and the agent called me to inform me that I would not be getting 50 percent of cancellation only 50 % FCC.

My problem is, they never email or giving anything in writing. They always call me after the emails. It is hard for me to get anything in writing on what this agent is saying. I email Princess customer relations but I get a call from the same agent.  It is like I am trapped , I can't speak to anyone else but this DEDICATED AGENT. I have no idea what to do now. 

13 hours ago, windsor26 said:

How did you manage this with the airline  or thru insurance?

Hello,

In September 2019 I booked the airline myself and separate from the cruise. I had taken travel insurance via my TA which covered the cruise but not the hotels or airfare. I had booked non-refundable airline tickets without insurance.

For most of January and 1/2 of February 2020, I was on a cruise for 42 days and I didn't contact anyone. During this time, I think if I could have cancelled the May 2020 voyage I would have but I didn't have that opportunity, but it's a good thing that I didn't).

When I got home, Princess contacted me to say my cruise in May was cancelled.

The airline (Air China) contacted me saying:
Dear Customer,
Your refund request has been reviewed.
Your refund will be calculated according to Air China's ticket rules and returned to the credit card you used to purchase the ticket.
Please be advised that, due to the current public health situation, your refund will be returned to your account within 4-6 weeks after Air China confirms receipt of your payment.

Not long after I returned home (like 2 weeks), my entire cruise fare (100%) showed as refunded on my credit card so I have this huge negative balance on 1 of my credit cards. Princess also gave me an additional 25% per person FCC.

I contacted no one to arrange any of these refunds.

Stay home for now, Stay well & Safe travels.

- WYB

Edited by WYB!

I booked Delta tickets directly thru their website.  I cancelled my flights on Friday.  I used twitter.  It was painless and easy. I used Delta's twitter feed; you get a personal agent who then contacts you thru twitter private messaging;  the agent took care of cancelling and refunding all my money as e-credit; which is good until May 2021.  I logged into my account and all the money showed up at e-credit.  This took me less than an hour.  Cheers

2 hours ago, Veerraj said:

Yes that is absolutely correct. I got in touch with the Princess agent many times prior to cancelling however, I was told that they are keeping a close monitor and cruise would be going ahead. I even suggested cancellation for FCC however this was denied. I waited till the very last moment and opted for 50 percent refund vs 25 percent.

Later it was announced that Princess cancelled that very cruise and we would be receiving cancellation fees (so full refund) and 50% FCC. It has been over a month now and I havent received anything back. Now, I understand that there might be delay in processing payments so I emailed Princess and the agent called me to inform me that I would not be getting 50 percent of cancellation only 50 % FCC.

My problem is, they never email or giving anything in writing. They always call me after the emails. It is hard for me to get anything in writing on what this agent is saying. I email Princess customer relations but I get a call from the same agent.  It is like I am trapped , I can't speak to anyone else but this DEDICATED AGENT. I have no idea what to do now. 

"over a month"...wow...sorry, but if you had said "over 90 days" we might have had a conversation.

Relax...take a walk, hug your SO or your kids, or both.   These are special times and there is no way that any large company like Princess (or any other cruise line) can make things whole as quickly as you  would like.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cancellation decisions, by cruisers, can involve some pretty complex calculations for many of us.  When we see folks criticizing decisions of others we cannot help but wonder how you could do that without having all the facts.  We will soon have to make our own decisions on two upcoming Princess cruises and there are lots of related issues including whether the ports will be open, major airfare expenses, differing deadlines, previously booked land arrangements, internal European air arrangements, etc.  And all that is for just a single month long trip.

Waiting for the cruise line to cancel sounds good in practice, but is not always the way to go.  Consider that some cruise lines have moved to a thirty day cancellation window, with no penalty, but the cruise line booked air is still being ticketed at 45 days.  For those of us who book international business class the airfare can be thousands of dollars and generally not refundable once ticketed.  And that is just one issue out of many.

And cruise lines are not always making any of this easy.  It can sometimes be near impossible to get through to a cruise line on the phone, and in many cases the person you reach either lacks the needed info or the decision-making authority.  To be blunt, it can be a nightmare at worst and a challenge at best.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Cancellation decisions, by cruisers, can involve some pretty complex calculations for many of us.  When we see folks criticizing decisions of others we cannot help but wonder how you could do that without having all the facts.  We will soon have to make our own decisions on two upcoming Princess cruises and there are lots of related issues including whether the ports will be open, major airfare expenses, differing deadlines, previously booked land arrangements, internal European air arrangements, etc.  And all that is for just a single month long trip.

Waiting for the cruise line to cancel sounds good in practice, but is not always the way to go.  Consider that some cruise lines have moved to a thirty day cancellation window, with no penalty, but the cruise line booked air is still being ticketed at 45 days.  For those of us who book international business class the airfare can be thousands of dollars and generally not refundable once ticketed.  And that is just one issue out of many.

And cruise lines are not always making any of this easy.  It can sometimes be near impossible to get through to a cruise line on the phone, and in many cases the person you reach either lacks the needed info or the decision-making authority.  To be blunt, it can be a nightmare at worst and a challenge at best.

Hank

Well said. I hope it works out for you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

"over a month"...wow...sorry, but if you had said "over 90 days" we might have had a conversation.

Relax...take a walk, hug your SO or your kids, or both.   These are special times and there is no way that any large company like Princess (or any other cruise line) can make things whole as quickly as you  would like.

Well they have stated that they won't be giving me back money only FCC. So a month 2 months 6 months that is what they are saying 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

Well they have stated that they won't be giving me back money only FCC. So a month 2 months 6 months that is what they are saying 

• Like 1

Anyone who books with Delta; they are waiving any change fees if you book on thier website by 31 Mar.   If you decide to cancel or change your flights they will waive any change fees up to one year.  I plan on booking a int‘L trip for Oct.  

45 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Anyone who books with Delta; they are waiving any change fees if you book on thier website by 31 Mar.   If you decide to cancel or change your flights they will waive any change fees up to one year.  I plan on booking a int‘L trip for Oct.  

One thing that many frequent travelers learn is the folly of many airline vouchers.  They generally come with restrictions such as only being good for one year from when you originally purchased the ticket.  Yes, it is might big of them to waive the fees you pay to use your own money.  But who knows what will happen in the next year with travel, cruises, and even the airlines.  Yes, a voucher is better then losing everything, but I prefer cash.  

We also have an International trip planned for October, but one would have to make the assumption that there will be international travel in October and that anything will even be open.  Sure that sounds negative and odds are things will be back to something akin to normal.  On the other hand, this virus is not going to disappear by October and there will still not be a vaccine.  I have no clue as to what this means and neither does anyone else.   But Dr. Fauci just said, this evening, that this virus is unlike anything ever faced by mankind.  

Hank

41 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

One thing that many frequent travelers learn is the folly of many airline vouchers.  They generally come with restrictions such as only being good for one year from when you originally purchased the ticket.  Yes, it is might big of them to waive the fees you pay to use your own money.  But who knows what will happen in the next year with travel, cruises, and even the airlines.  Yes, a voucher is better then losing everything, but I prefer cash.  

This is a concern for my family. If Hubby and I lose the $450 or so we paid for plane tickets to and from Seattle, we will be fine. It will suck, but we will be fine.

Our 21 year-old daughter used a significant amount of hard-earned (at her fast food job) money to buy a round trip ticket to visit her brother in Montana next month, after her school term ends. Her brother (24 year old teacher, making $30k a year) paid for a hotel in the city where Sis would have flown  to for the visit at the cheaper non-refundable rate. Obviously, this trip isn't going to happen. I'm incredibly grateful that my kids love each other, enjoy each other's company, and want to spend time together. I've got friends trapped in their homes with kids who are at each other's throats. 

Daughter got a "credit" from Alaska Airlines. I hope it will be worth something. Son has not yet been able to find out if the hotel has done like others and relaxed its refund policies. Neither will starve to death, but it's still hard.

7 hours ago, WYB! said:

Not long after I returned home (like 2 weeks), my entire cruise fare (100%) showed as refunded on my credit card so I have this huge negative balance on 1 of my credit cards. Princess also gave me an additional 25% per person FCC.

- WYB

in anticipation of getting our refund, I phoned our credit card company to ask about the large Credit balance that would appear. It will be returned to a USD card we don’t use that often and would prefer to have the cash back in Canadian funds. I was told that large refund balances To the credit card can be deposited back into our chequing account. I can not do this myself through online banking- I have to phone the credit card company and they will initiate the transfer and within 3-5 days it will be processed. 

so if you are concerned about your ‘huge negative balance’ on your one credit card because you don’t anticipate racking up other charges against it- you should try phoning your credit card company and ask them to return the funds to you. I was concerned that they wouldn’t be able to do this but they were quite reassuring that it can easily be done with just a phone call

I went online, took a cash advance against my credit card, and had it deposited in my checking account. Balances looked weird for 2 days but it settled out. No charge / no interest due. But I have a negative reward showing. (-$38.50) that'll eventually go away as I use the card

Hlinter, I use Delta 98% of the time.  Everytime I need to change a ticket or ask for refund(like a hurricane last year); Delta has given me an E-Credit for the entire amount. When I buy another ticket I use that credit;  yes it is not cash in my hand; but it's still cash.  MamaFej,  I hope your son gets his money back. I can not see any business not giving the money back.  These are some bad times; and if they hotel is to stay in business; they should refund the money.  Be safe out there; and have fun

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

This is a concern for my family. If Hubby and I lose the $450 or so we paid for plane tickets to and from Seattle, we will be fine. It will suck, but we will be fine.

Our 21 year-old daughter used a significant amount of hard-earned (at her fast food job) money to buy a round trip ticket to visit her brother in Montana next month, after her school term ends. Her brother (24 year old teacher, making $30k a year) paid for a hotel in the city where Sis would have flown  to for the visit at the cheaper non-refundable rate. Obviously, this trip isn't going to happen. I'm incredibly grateful that my kids love each other, enjoy each other's company, and want to spend time together.

I hope I don’t get flamed too badly for this but I want to put some of this into perspective.  The OP, Veeraj and MamaFej got me to thinking about this whole subject of refunds for unused services.  To set up my point and clarify that I’m in the same boat as the rest of us, I’d like to describe a current experience I am having.

Last October I booked a round trip shipment of my car from New York to Florida and return with an automobile trucking service.  $875.00 of the $1725.00 I paid in advance was to cover the return of my car to New York.  The car was to be picked up April 2 and delivered to my home in NY before April 8.  We were to fly home to NY on April 8.  DW & I decided it would be more prudent to drive home to NY rather than get into an airplane.  We drove our car from Florida to New York and arrived home in NY on March 20.  I have been trying to contact the car shipping company to cancel the pickup of the car as it is no longer in Florida but already back in NY, but there is no answer when I call the shipping company office.  They are possibly staying home per the order of the New Jersey governor.  Am I now out $875.00?  Not really, as I was out the money already when I paid them in advance.  Alright, I didn’t get the service I paid for but it was a service that I decided I didn’t want anymore.  Will it be nice if I get the $875 refunded at a later date?  Of course, but if I don’t get a refund, I’m only out the service as I was already out the money.  I hope I’m making my point.

Veeraj was already out the money when the cruise final payment was made.  Although disappointing, what they’re really missing is the transitory experience of a nice vacation.  The money was already gone.    MamaFej’s children are in the same position.  What they have really lost is the transitory experience of visiting each other.  The money was already spent.

I’m certainly not criticizing either Veeraj or MamaFej for their concerns.  They’re most certainly legitimate.  But, in perspective, the only things we are out are transitory pleasures.  We all have a lot more things to be concerned about.  Please everybody - stay healthy and stay home for a while.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I hope I don’t get flamed too badly for this but I want to put some of this into perspective.  The OP, Veeraj and MamaFej got me to thinking about this whole subject of refunds for unused services.  To set up my point and clarify that I’m in the same boat as the rest of us, I’d like to describe a current experience I am having.

Last October I booked a round trip shipment of my car from New York to Florida and return with an automobile trucking service.  $875.00 of the $1725.00 I paid in advance was to cover the return of my car to New York.  The car was to be picked up April 2 and delivered to my home in NY before April 8.  We were to fly home to NY on April 8.  DW & I decided it would be more prudent to drive home to NY rather than get into an airplane.  We drove our car from Florida to New York and arrived home in NY on March 20.  I have been trying to contact the car shipping company to cancel the pickup of the car as it is no longer in Florida but already back in NY, but there is no answer when I call the shipping company office.  They are possibly staying home per the order of the New Jersey governor.  Am I now out $875.00?  Not really, as I was out the money already when I paid them in advance.  Alright, I didn’t get the service I paid for but it was a service that I decided I didn’t want anymore.  Will it be nice if I get the $875 refunded at a later date?  Of course, but if I don’t get a refund, I’m only out the service as I was already out the money.  I hope I’m making my point.

Veeraj was already out the money when the cruise final payment was made.  Although disappointing, what they’re really missing is the transitory experience of a nice vacation.  The money was already gone.    MamaFej’s children are in the same position.  What they have really lost is the transitory experience of visiting each other.  The money was already spent.

I’m certainly not criticizing either Veeraj or MamaFej for their concerns.  They’re most certainly legitimate.  But, in perspective, the only things we are out are transitory pleasures.  We all have a lot more things to be concerned about.  Please everybody - stay healthy and stay home for a while.

Hardly a fair comparison. You made the decision to cancel because you didn’t want the service. Here, people are being forced to cancel , whilst still wanting a cruise, because of the health scare 

8 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Hardly a fair comparison. You made the decision to cancel because you didn’t want the service. Here, people are being forced to cancel , whilst still wanting a cruise, because of the health scare 

I wanted the service of transporting the car home.  Because I have underlying health conditions and I am over 60 YOA, the Federal Government has advised me not to get into an airplane to fly home.  I had a choice to either drive my car from Florida to New York or walk it.  I chose to drive.

• Like 1

@Daniel A Nice shot of perspective, desperately needed in this situation. Some would have sat around griping about the transport company not being available, but taking your own action solved the inconvenience factor.

Perspective, however, requires remembering that while some of us can write off a couple thousand if necessary, for others the lost money came out of money they might sorely need to get through this. For them, the money retained by a company not providing the transitory experience needs to be recovered in order to have a liquid asset. Neither an FCC nor an IOU will pay for food or rent or medical supplies if their income is curtailed. Thus, their perspective gives them a much greater interest in recovering money from someone unfairly delaying by promising to provide services not reasonably within the money-holder's power to provide (e.g., cruising beginning again April 11--RCCL won't admit reality).

Offering to give someone a hamburger on an uncertain Tuesday in the future doesn't help someone needing to buy one immediately. We who are able to enter this crisis with minimal financial loss are quite lucky.

I do like the term "transitory experience" since it reminds me of the 1970's when I was an hourly worker at minimum wage. I would calculate how many hours of enjoyment I would get from a discretionary purchase that took a certain number of hours to afford. Paperback books by Michener were among the best--15 to 20 hrs of reading for 1 hour's toil!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Perspective, however, requires remembering that while some of us can write off a couple thousand if necessary, for others the lost money came out of money they might sorely need to get through this. For them, the money retained by a company not providing the transitory experience needs to be recovered in order to have a liquid asset. Neither an FCC nor an IOU will pay for food or rent or medical supplies if their income is curtailed. Thus, their perspective gives them a much greater interest in recovering money from someone unfairly delaying by promising to provide services not reasonably within the money-holder's power to provide (e.g., cruising beginning again April 11--RCCL won't admit reality).

You raise some very valid points in your post.  I hope there aren't very many people who are living with day to day income who would have put out thousands of dollars for a vacation experience.  But, you are probably correct that there will be some.  I hope they will get their cash back.

I believe that those who have had their cruises cancelled on them are getting the money refunded to their original source of payment.  I got off a cruise on February 9th, just before it started to hit the fan.  I'm sure there may be some people who were on that cruise who would like to have that money back and in the bank to pay for food and supplies if their income gets curtailed as well but it isn't a realistic expectation.  The money was gone when we wrote the check, not when we took the trip.  Again, I appreciate your post and you certainly did raise valid points.  I was trying more to look at the bigger picture.  Unfortunately there will always be some who fall between the cracks.  Hopefully our safety nets will catch them...

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

You raise some very valid points in your post.  I hope there aren't very many people who are living with day to day income who would have put out thousands of dollars for a vacation experience.  But, you are probably correct that there will be some.  I hope they will get their cash back.

I believe that those who have had their cruises cancelled on them are getting the money refunded to their original source of payment.  I got off a cruise on February 9th, just before it started to hit the fan.  I'm sure there may be some people who were on that cruise who would like to have that money back and in the bank to pay for food and supplies if their income gets curtailed as well but it isn't a realistic expectation.  The money was gone when we wrote the check, not when we took the trip.  Again, I appreciate your post and you certainly did raise valid points.  I was trying more to look at the bigger picture.  Unfortunately there will always be some who fall between the cracks.  Hopefully our safety nets will catch them...

Just going to say I love your post also and understand what you are saying Worked for 24 years same job health got me had to retire...   I do not think anyone should live beyond their means!  We now can take one cruise a year. I owe nothing to any company 🙂 Flights paid by my Jetblue card points I earned ..lol ! My 2010 Sonata and my beautiful mobile home are mine . I mean I never took a vacation until I was in my fourties bought my first place at 57 ....worked dam hard for it! I always buy insurance not sure it would have helped this time but it has saved me in the past with paying for a nasty fall ! Point is if you cannot afford it you cannot go!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

@Daniel A Nice shot of perspective, desperately needed in this situation. Some would have sat around griping about the transport company not being available, but taking your own action solved the inconvenience factor.

Offering to give someone a hamburger on an uncertain Tuesday in the future doesn't help someone needing to buy one immediately. We who are able to enter this crisis with minimal financial loss are quite lucky.

I do like the term "transitory experience" since it reminds me of the 1970's when I was an hourly worker at minimum wage. I would calculate how many hours of enjoyment I would get from a discretionary purchase that took a certain number of hours to afford. Paperback books by Michener were among the best--15 to 20 hrs of reading for 1 hour's toil!

I agree with @Daniel A, you do raise some good points. However, given that the cruise industry is part of LEISURE, I would question the notion advanced in your argument that people who made cruise deposits are now depending on that money to put food on the table. I doubt that severely. Any person who spent grocery money on travel plans made a foolish choice. Let's be clear here: I've been a member of CC for a long time and I have never, ever heard of people saying they spent money on a cruise and decided they needed to cancel in order to pay routine bills (barring something like catastrophic unanticipated expenses or job loss, of course). Now, having said that, it IS possible that some people ARE experiencing job loss or the like and really do need their cruise money refunded in order to put food on the table. But I would submit that such individuals are in the minority BY FAR. The vast majority of people who cruise do so with clearly disposable income. And like @Daniel A suggested, that money has already been spent, it's only the anticipated transitory experience that has been forfeited.

Edited by DCGuy64
replaced an incorrect word
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 1:04 PM, Veerraj said:

My problem is, they never email or giving anything in writing. They always call me after the emails. It is hard for me to get anything in writing on what this agent is saying. I email Princess customer relations but I get a call from the same agent.  It is like I am trapped , I can't speak to anyone else but this DEDICATED AGENT. I have no idea what to do now. 

Are you working with a TA? I'm trying to understand why some of us have been getting great info and others not so much. For example: I can talk to anyone at Princess or my Princess Vacation Planner. Why is it different for you? If a TA, does this experience change the way you think about using that person going forward? If a PVP, then huh 😳!

This is what my PVP sent me:

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause.html

Princess will honor this offer for those guests who had made final payment and cancelled their booking on or after February 4, 2020. The future cruise credit can be used on any voyage departing through May 1, 2022.

FORM: https://princess.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3IPGcxcN0jSk6c5

She advised that I complete the form online

Edited by Ombud