First Time Cunard, Not First Time Cruising

jpcello

My sister and I are looking at a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 in late October. We have cruised numerous times and always in an accessible balcony cabin. My sister has her own collapsible scooter and walks full time with a cane (walking is challenging but she can definitely do it). There are no balcony accessible cabins but I was able to snag the last ocean view accessible (deck 5). But do I really want to give up the balcony? Since we're on the ship for 7 full days do we want some personal outdoor space? Because her scooter is collapsible and all the bathrooms have showers (tubs are hard for her), technically we could go into a regular cabin. Is it worth giving up the accessible cabin just to be able to open a door? It's been ages since I've been in a regular size cabin (I'll also check youtube).

Looking for experience with transatlantic and Cunard and ocean view cabins. 

BTW this is Cunard's first music cruise - it's a Broadway cruise :)

On 2/18/2020 at 5:23 AM, jpcello said:

My sister and I are looking at a transatlantic cruise on the QM2 in late October. We have cruised numerous times and always in an accessible balcony cabin. My sister has her own collapsible scooter and walks full time with a cane (walking is challenging but she can definitely do it). There are no balcony accessible cabins but I was able to snag the last ocean view accessible (deck 5). But do I really want to give up the balcony? Since we're on the ship for 7 full days do we want some personal outdoor space? Because her scooter is collapsible and all the bathrooms have showers (tubs are hard for her), technically we could go into a regular cabin. Is it worth giving up the accessible cabin just to be able to open a door? It's been ages since I've been in a regular size cabin (I'll also check youtube).

Looking for experience with transatlantic and Cunard and ocean view cabins. 

BTW this is Cunard's first music cruise - it's a Broadway cruise 🙂

Experienced here.  We love  the QM2 and have done a couple crossings on her and all in Inside Accessible. On NY-Southampton crossings, the North Seas can get very rough during the winter.  The balcony cabins become much less desirable and often are cheaper that other cabins.  Your probability of using it are much less depending on the seas.  We have seen some wild crossings where the outside decks were closed.  You would never want to use the balcony  under those circumstances.

All in all all we have been quite happy with our Insides and yes, we have done quite a few outsides and balconies on other ships.

We just can't justify it based on use vs. cost.  But, to each his own.  I think you will be happy with your OV accessible if you're one who needs to see the outside.

Standard cabin vs. HC.:  I just tried to book a Cunard, Inside, HC.  None available but was advised that a standard cabin door was wide enough to get my scooter in.  I almost booked until I looked at the square footage.  Yes, I could get in but then there is no room to park or turn the scooter around.  The difference in square footage is around 152sf vs. around 300sf.  Yes, you may get in, but then what?  There are more considerations than just getting through the door.

Hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks so much. Luckily my sister uses a collapsible scooter that doesn’t take up much floor space. Appreciate the tips about transatlantic crossings. We’ll probably stick with the regular balcony if for nothing other than to be able to open the door and get fresh air. 

10 hours ago, jpcello said:

Thanks so much. Luckily my sister uses a collapsible scooter that doesn’t take up much floor space. Appreciate the tips about transatlantic crossings. We’ll probably stick with the regular balcony if for nothing other than to be able to open the door and get fresh air. 

10 hours ago, jpcello said:

We absolutely love Cunard!  Unfortunately there are NO rock climbing walls, water slides, belly flop contests, belching contests, etc.  If you're under 50 you'll probably hate it.  The sophistication and quality is unheard of on 

mainline cruises.  Very British and very cultured.

8 hours ago, 1980dory said:

We absolutely love Cunard!  Unfortunately there are NO rock climbing walls, water slides, belly flop contests, belching contests, etc.  If you're under 50 you'll probably hate it.  The sophistication and quality is unheard of on 

mainline cruises.  Very British and very cultured.

Yes, yes and yes. We are over 60 and really want exactly what you've described. Our med cruise this fall was a big disappointment (not the ports but the ship itself). The reason we picked this cruise is that it's a broadway cruise. First for Cunard. Even though it may not be great weather, we've decided on the non HA balcony vs the HA OV. Need to be able to open a door (window) and get some fresh air. Because my sister uses a collapsible scooter and a shower (vs tub), the non HA room should be OK. We're not in there that much and hopefully being on Cunard and what you describe, we'll actually do more on the ship. 

It’s also my understanding that Cunard will not allow scooters in regular cabins.  I’m a wheelchair user and Cunard will allow  a wheelchair in a non-accessible cabin if it will fold up so it fits through the cabin door; not so with scooters:

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/accessibility/wheelchairs-mobility-scooters

Mobility scooters.

Mobility scooters will only be permitted on board if guests have booked an accessible stateroom, or selected suite.  A list of suitable staterooms can be found in the accessible stateroom section. The policy applies to all scooter makes and models to ensure a consistent approach. Mobility scooters must be declared at the time of booking, or as soon as the need is known, otherwise your scooter may be denied boarding. 

I’d love to hear if they don’t follow this policy!

5 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

It’s also my understanding that Cunard will not allow scooters in regular cabins.  I’m a wheelchair user and Cunard will allow  a wheelchair in a non-accessible cabin if it will fold up so it fits through the cabin door; not so with scooters:

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/accessibility/wheelchairs-mobility-scooters

Mobility scooters.

Mobility scooters will only be permitted on board if guests have booked an accessible stateroom, or selected suite.  A list of suitable staterooms can be found in the accessible stateroom section. The policy applies to all scooter makes and models to ensure a consistent approach. Mobility scooters must be declared at the time of booking, or as soon as the need is known, otherwise your scooter may be denied boarding. 

I’d love to hear if they don’t follow this policy!

I've been educated.  Thank you for your info.  Apparently some Cunard reps are not familiar with that policy.  See my post #7.

4 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I've been educated.  Thank you for your info.  Apparently some Cunard reps are not familiar with that policy.  See my post #7.

No problem.  It’s confusing when they will allow a folding wheelchair in a non-accessible cabin but not a scooter that comes apart.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 5:04 PM, Miki_moto said:

No problem.  It’s confusing when they will allow a folding wheelchair in a non-accessible cabin but not a scooter that comes apart.  

P&O have the same policy. On both P&O and Cunard my small mobility scooter would easily have fitted in the cabins, but they said I couldn’t take it. I ended up taking my wheelchair, but then it makes it hard work for my partner having to push me.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been allowed to take my folding scooter in a non- accessible balcony cabin. I had to call Cunard’s Special Needs group and verify dimensions and which scooter I have. It is a Luggie.