Mom freaking out about Corona-wants to cancel

JacqueO

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Just out of curiosity, how does the cruiseline know if someone has been to China or wherever in the past x # of days? Honor system?  Or is the CBP or Homeland Security or whatever agency cooperating with the cruise lines and releasing travel information?

Passport information...
When they scan your passport, they know where you have been.

If you travel on multiple passports they will want to see the other passports.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

To be fair, both Radiance and Ovation are coming over from that side of the globe, just sayin.....

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Australia is somewhat near Asia and that's where those ships are coming from in May - for a paranoid person that might be enough to send them over the edge. And Spectrum will get together with Ovation, so again, the really paranoid might read something into that.

China to Australia is around 7,400 km.  China to Alaska is 7,100km.

So if proximity is a concern, the U.S. is more at risk.

Australia has 15 cases

Canada has 7 cases

U.S. has 15 cases.

Collectively North America has more cases compared to Australia.  After Radiance and Ovation finish with Alaska perhaps we should keep them here to protect Australians.   Don't forget Millennium is on her way to CA.

Here is what the WHO chief had to say:

Next steps: scale up response, counter ‘infodemic’ 

Mr. Tedros outlined key requests of the international community on the way forward: 

• Use the window of opportunity provided by China’s quick action to intensify preparedness, including for the arrival of new cases, treating patients with dignity, and protecting health workers; 
  • Push back against the ‘infodemic’, as fake news spreads faster and more easily than this virus, and is equally as dangerous. He called on governments, companies and news organizations to work with WHO to sound the appropriate level of alarm, without fanning the flames of hysteria; and  
  • A “whole-of-government approach” must be coherent and coordinated, guided by evidence and public health priorities, as tackling the spread of the virus “is not a job for health ministers alone.

“We have a choice. Can we come together to face a common and dangerous enemy? Or will we allow fear, suspicion and irrationality to distract and divide us?” the WHO chief asked.

He said that in our fractured and divided world, health was one of the few areas in which international cooperation offered the opportunity for countries to work together for a common cause.

“This is a time for facts, not fear. This is a time for rationality, not rumours. This is a time for solidarity, not stigma,” Mr. Tedros concluded.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lostdave_98 said:

Passport information...

Cruise lines can't access the travel history of a passport electronically.  CBP can.  Your passport details are collected by the carrier and becomes part of the manifest so that any government can review the manifest and determine accessibility.  Cruise lines can't see your travel history, they can't access government databases to review your previous ports of entry.

They can flip through the pages of your passport to look for stamps though.  That's what the Australian airport screeners did when I flew out of country last week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

Cruise lines can't access the travel history of a passport electronically.  CBP can.  Your passport details are collected by the carrier and becomes part of the manifest so that any government can review the manifest and determine accessibility.  Cruise lines can't see your travel history, they can't access government databases to review your previous ports of entry.

They can flip through the pages of your passport to look for stamps though.  That's what the Australian airport screeners did when I flew out of country last week.

Agreed. 

My Point is they would not make it into the country, let alone onto a cruise ship at the moment due to the Australian Governemnts' China Travel Ban. 
I should have been more clear about that.

2 hours ago, CraigG said:

No, but I do have some "Royal Up" bids out there. Here's hoping Charles4515 scares the timid out of their Star Class suites.

Surely many people are reading the news and canceling. So you might get a deal. About a month ago I was wait listed for a cruise in August. Was told there was little chance that the waitlist would clear but if we put a $750 deposit down when final payment was due in June there was a small chance. Since it was two cabins, two separate bookings we decided not to put down deposits since we didn’t want to go if we all didn’t go. Yesterday out travel agent notified us we cleared the wait list and both got confirmations, have until next Tuesday to put down a deposit and keep the cabins. 

21 hours ago, JacqueO said:

I should add that she isn't worried about getting it but about the quarantine.  My grandmother is in a nursing home and she's afraid that if we are stuck on a ship for 2 weeks she won't have anyone to go visit/take care of her. 

This might help- arrange for a friend to go visit your grandmother while you are gone...

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Here is what the WHO chief had to say:

Next steps: scale up response, counter ‘infodemic’ 

Mr. Tedros outlined key requests of the international community on the way forward: 

• Use the window of opportunity provided by China’s quick action to intensify preparedness, including for the arrival of new cases, treating patients with dignity, and protecting health workers; 
  • Push back against the ‘infodemic’, as fake news spreads faster and more easily than this virus, and is equally as dangerous. He called on governments, companies and news organizations to work with WHO to sound the appropriate level of alarm, without fanning the flames of hysteria; and  
  • A “whole-of-government approach” must be coherent and coordinated, guided by evidence and public health priorities, as tackling the spread of the virus “is not a job for health ministers alone.

China's quick action?? Treating patients with dignity? This alone scares me.

China's government put pressure on the people who spoke out early to keep quiet. Chinese journalists are disappearing. China just expelled 3 WSJ reporters. They most certainly do not seem to be sharing information willingly. Why?

I'm not looking at Tedros and the Chinese government to make me feel more secure.

• Like 1

Really tempted to book Brilliance for end of next month. I understand the odds of a problem are very low but if something did happen to my family I’d never forgive myself. And it’s not like there’s no other fun things to do in Florida.

Royal Caribbean Cruises has commented on the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak.

"It is important that every organization acts responsibly, and we have already taken aggressive steps to minimize risk through boarding restrictions and itinerary changes," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and CEO. "Our shipboard and shoreside teams have been working tirelessly through these circumstances and I want to thank them for all of their extraordinary efforts. We appreciate our responsibility to our guests and to each other, and our focus on public health is unwavering."

As a result of the travel restrictions in place and related circumstances, the company has now cancelled a total of 18 sailings in Southeast Asia and has also modified several itineraries. Taken together, these measures have an estimated impact on the company's financial performance for 2020 of approximately $0.65 per share. While not currently planned, if the company was to cancel all of its remaining sailings in Asia through the end of April, it would impact 2020 financial performance by an additional $0.55 per share.

"As has been widely reported, China and other countries are moving aggressively to contain the spread of the virus. The company communicates regularly with the CDC, the WHO and other health authorities around the world and has implemented measures to protect our guests and crew. These include denying boarding to those that have travelled from, to or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the past 15 days and performing mandatory specialized health screenings on at-risk guests and crew. The company is assessing the developments constantly and will update these measures as needed," the company said.

"There are still too many variables and uncertainties to make a reasonable forecast for 2020. While the early impact due to concerns about the coronavirus is mainly related to Asia, recent bookings for our broader business have also been softer."

If the travel restrictions and concerns over the outbreak continue for an extended period of time, they could materially impact the company's overall financial performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Really tempted to book Brilliance for end of next month. I understand the odds of a problem are very low but if something did happen to my family I’d never forgive myself. And it’s not like there’s no other fun things to do in Florida.

Yep go visit Disney's It's a Small World exhibit.  You will see the world via a boat ride.  I wonder if they detour around Asia?

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Haha 1

I agree with everyone else that your mother has no reason to worry and it would be unfortunate for her to miss a cruise that she so desperately needs.  But if she is going to be so stresses out that she will not be able to enjoy the cruise - and just as importantly - it will impact everyone else's enjoyment, then it might be best for her to stay home.

I know it may sound selfish but we've all heard stories of family/friends that will never travel together again due to conflicts that arise during vacation. In my experience, there are 2 types of worry-warts: those that relax once they realize their fears are unfounded and those that continue to find new things to worry about.

Hopefully your mother goes on the cruise and has fun. But do you think she'll be worried every time someone with puffy eyes has the sniffles? And will her worry cause friction with the rest of the family?

31 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yep go visit Disney's It's a Small World exhibit.  You will see the world via a boat ride.  I wonder if they detour around Asia?

heh Only if they put masks on all the Asia kids. Can’t be too careful and it would make as much sense as some of the cruise lines ‘precautions.’

Edited by trajan
  • Haha 1

We are currently on the Oasis in our second week of b2b.  No major issues at all.  If the ship has not been

to an Asian port or going to one, IMO is no problem.  I agree there is just as much chance at the grocery store,

restaurants, any public place.  They are completely vigilant on board and you just have to be responsible to

wash your hands, don't touch your face, etc.  Hope you enjoy your cruise, because we sure are.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lostdave_98 said:

Passport information...

On top of the earlier comments about the cruise line now having access to your immigration history, there's no way for the cruise line to know you carry more than one passport unless you tell them. I have dual citizenship and the cruiseline just asks to see a passport. They never ask if I have another citizenship/passport, whether it's with me or not (it usually is). 

Edited by Zach1213

1 hour ago, ssb said:

Royal Caribbean Cruises has commented on the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak.

"It is important that every organization acts responsibly, and we have already taken aggressive steps to minimize risk through boarding restrictions and itinerary changes," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and CEO. "Our shipboard and shoreside teams have been working tirelessly through these circumstances and I want to thank them for all of their extraordinary efforts. We appreciate our responsibility to our guests and to each other, and our focus on public health is unwavering."

As a result of the travel restrictions in place and related circumstances, the company has now cancelled a total of 18 sailings in Southeast Asia and has also modified several itineraries. Taken together, these measures have an estimated impact on the company's financial performance for 2020 of approximately $0.65 per share. While not currently planned, if the company was to cancel all of its remaining sailings in Asia through the end of April, it would impact 2020 financial performance by an additional $0.55 per share.

"As has been widely reported, China and other countries are moving aggressively to contain the spread of the virus. The company communicates regularly with the CDC, the WHO and other health authorities around the world and has implemented measures to protect our guests and crew. These include denying boarding to those that have travelled from, to or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the past 15 days and performing mandatory specialized health screenings on at-risk guests and crew. The company is assessing the developments constantly and will update these measures as needed," the company said.

"There are still too many variables and uncertainties to make a reasonable forecast for 2020. While the early impact due to concerns about the coronavirus is mainly related to Asia, recent bookings for our broader business have also been softer."

If the travel restrictions and concerns over the outbreak continue for an extended period of time, they could materially impact the company's overall financial performance.

As we can tell by reading this memo, The bottom line is: RCCL is totally committed to our health and well being.

Umm...wait I have that backwards. Should read: RCCL is totally committed to the health and well being of their bottom line.

12 hours ago, Lostdave_98 said:

Passport information...

I don’t bring all my passports with me when I travel. Nothing on my US passport says I have another one.

32 minutes ago, CraigG said:

As we can tell by reading this memo, The bottom line is: RCCL is totally committed to our health and well being.

Umm...wait I have that backwards. Should read: RCCL is totally committed to the health and well being of their bottom line.

I believe they are required to disclose any financial impact due to them being a traded company 

Update on worried mom - So I squelched her initial fears and now she is just "making sure it'll be ok".  Interestingly enough her primary concern was my grandmother and the quarantine - even though my father is slightly immune compromised. lol  So now she is focused on that.  They have cruised several times since he has been diagnosed and have always been OVERLY vigilant about disinfection, handwashing, etc and have been ok.  They had a dr. appt today and will be talking to the dr about his thoughts on "allowing" dad to travel on a cruise (i know i know - even though they've done it tons of times before).  So fingers crossed this dr. isn't an anti-cruise fear monger. lol  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I believe they are required to disclose any financial impact due to them being a traded company 

Understood. Forgive my tongue in cheek response. I'm bored at work today.

Glad to hear the OP is making some headway with this.