Mom freaking out about Corona-wants to cancel

JacqueO

I am almost certain she will catch the virus

You should definitely cancel

It's funny, I am in a similar situation. I just looked out my window and saw a car drive past

I know I am guaranteed to get run over if I go outside, so I'm never leaving the house again 😷

13 hours ago, twangster said:

China to Australia is around 7,400 km.  China to Alaska is 7,100km.

So if proximity is a concern, the U.S. is more at risk.

Australia has 15 cases

Canada has 7 cases

U.S. has 15 cases.

Collectively North America has more cases compared to Australia.  After Radiance and Ovation finish with Alaska perhaps we should keep them here to protect Australians.   Don't forget Millennium is on her way to CA.

Here is what the WHO chief had to say:

Next steps: scale up response, counter ‘infodemic’ 

Mr. Tedros outlined key requests of the international community on the way forward: 

• Use the window of opportunity provided by China’s quick action to intensify preparedness, including for the arrival of new cases, treating patients with dignity, and protecting health workers; 
  • Push back against the ‘infodemic’, as fake news spreads faster and more easily than this virus, and is equally as dangerous. He called on governments, companies and news organizations to work with WHO to sound the appropriate level of alarm, without fanning the flames of hysteria; and  
  • A “whole-of-government approach” must be coherent and coordinated, guided by evidence and public health priorities, as tackling the spread of the virus “is not a job for health ministers alone.

“We have a choice. Can we come together to face a common and dangerous enemy? Or will we allow fear, suspicion and irrationality to distract and divide us?” the WHO chief asked.

He said that in our fractured and divided world, health was one of the few areas in which international cooperation offered the opportunity for countries to work together for a common cause.

“This is a time for facts, not fear. This is a time for rationality, not rumours. This is a time for solidarity, not stigma,” Mr. Tedros concluded.

Thank you, @twangsteras this is the best quote I've seen with real information about the virus.

I blocked the fear mongerer long ago, no regrets.

Edited by dreadpirate3

1 hour ago, JacqueO said:

Update on worried mom - So I squelched her initial fears and now she is just "making sure it'll be ok".  Interestingly enough her primary concern was my grandmother and the quarantine - even though my father is slightly immune compromised. lol  So now she is focused on that.  They have cruised several times since he has been diagnosed and have always been OVERLY vigilant about disinfection, handwashing, etc and have been ok.  They had a dr. appt today and will be talking to the dr about his thoughts on "allowing" dad to travel on a cruise (i know i know - even though they've done it tons of times before).  So fingers crossed this dr. isn't an anti-cruise fear monger. lol  

Great news! Let's hope the doctor agrees.

1 hour ago, CraigG said:

My wife and I had considered buying last year. I'm thinking the time is coming soon. 

Has not taken much of a hit. I was looking for Carnival to take a big hit with all the Diamond Princess news and the ship being out of service for weeks to come.  Might be able to pick up a quick $12-$15 per share on Royal by mid summer..  Next on my must have list is Starlink IPO at year end.. gotta love Elon . happy cruising

On 2/18/2020 at 12:12 PM, MaryEBS said:

I have the same issue.  Sailing on Oasis on Sunday and the friend I am supposed to travel with is afraid to go.  I have tried to make all the arguments mentioned in this thread but she won't budge... so I am sailing alone since she is going to be a no show and I will get triple points instead of double.  Funny thing is she does not know her son has booked a surprise Alaska cruise for her with his family in May!  

Mary- I am on your same sailing.  Hope you make it!  DH and I are always paranoid about getting a cold or Noro on the trip (has happened to us a few times), but we just try to be vigilant now (wash hands lots, etc).  I think we all will be ok 🙂

On 2/18/2020 at 8:01 AM, JacqueO said:

So my mom is freaking out about our cruise on Harmony out of Port Canaveral on March 8 - going to the eastern Caribbean.  She is worried that we will be quarantined as she keeps hearing everything on the news about the people being stuck and unable to get off the ship for a few days/weeks.  I am trying to explain that the boats affected were out of asian cruises and that Harmony has only been to and from US/Caribbean.  Am I wrong?  She purchased the insurance but I'm also trying to explain that she may not get her money back as the insurance is if you get sick and have to cancel - not if you just decide not to go.  Hoping someone can shed light on this.  She needs a break - she has been so stressed out with work etc - but now this is keeping her up at night as she is afraid.  Again I tried to explain that if anything the washy-washy people will be out in full force as they will be hyper vigilant about prevention.  Am I wrong on my points?  Thoughts?  Anyone else freaking out like this?

The rate of infection is .00001 of earths population.  Tell mom to put on her big girl pants, and live her life.  Its here to stay it is a flu variant. just like swine flew was a fake pandemic over 10 years ago.  

Edited by pokerguy90
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pokerguy90 said:

The rate of infection is .00001 of earths population.  Tell mom to put on her big girl pants on. And live her life.  Its here to stay it is a flu variant. just like swine flew was a fake pandemic over 10 years ago.  

Memories, Swine flu hit, Royals Mariner of the seas dropped Mexico for a few weeks and went to Canada.  Got a Ocean view balcony for a couple of hundred dollars. Son got a Promenade view for about $150.  As Archie Bunker said.... Those were the days. happy cruising

I just came off the February 7th cruise on Anthem, the one that was docked in Bayonne, NJ. , the one that was surrounded by news reporters looking for a sensational story. It was delayed 3 days while they tested 4 Chinese passengers for corona  at University Hospital in Newark. This was a cruise that began January 26. The CDC stepped  in February 2 to prevent  anyone traveling  within the area of  the outbreak in China from boarding cruise ships. There  were several Chinese cruisers on board and they were all  quarantined for safety reasons. They didn't have the virus.  Four of them had flu like symptoms. When the ship docked  the 4 were brought to the hospital and tested for the virus  which takes 48 hours to confer. Thus our delay. They tested negative. The ship was thoroughly cleaned. I must have sailed on the most sanitary ship at sea. Nobody had the virus.  The news had a field day regarding corona virus on

board. Now as has been stated already, no one with the Chinese passports are being allowed to board. Extra, extra precaution on Royal's part. Tell Mom to set sail. Take the usual precautions of being in a crowded area. The chances of her ever being quarantined is miniscule. The news loves to scare the carp out of people. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parrotfeathers said:

If she wants to stay home I'd let her.

Lord forbid if she got sick (from anything) you would get the blame.

Precisely why me and my wife decided to not try to convince my in laws to go anymore 

• Like 1

It is difficult to rationalize irrational fear and anxiety. Some of it is driven by things like this virus which are not well understood and unexpected. Some of it is also driven by a loss of control. Getting on a ship, you give up control over when you can get off and what might happen while you are onboard and can't get off. There is a lot to process and everyone handles it differently for their own situation. I would not push anyone who appeared to be resisting because of what I perceive to be an irrational fear. The fear is real to them and they need to manage it in their own way.

16 hours ago, Midway7934 said:

Now as has been stated already, no one with the Chinese passports are being allowed to board. Extra, extra precaution on Royal's part. Tell Mom to set sail. Take the usual precautions of being in a crowded area. The chances of her ever being quarantined is miniscule. The news loves to scare the carp out of people. Enjoy your cruise. 

Not actually true.....we sail on Saturday out of FLL, have been getting lots of RCI emails......the latest emails DO allow for China, Hong Kong and Macau passports to board now, BUT the disclaimer now is that they cannot have travelled to or from China, Hong Kong or Macau or been in the presence of anyone who has been to any of the above within the last 15 days.  If they have, they will be denied boarding.  But Chinese passports, according to our last email last week, was that they will be allowed to board now, due to a change in opinion at the CDC.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:02 AM, trajan said:

Really tempted to book Brilliance for end of next month. I understand the odds of a problem are very low but if something did happen to my family I’d never forgive myself. And it’s not like there’s no other fun things to do in Florida.

You're WAY more likely to get sick going to standard touristy spots in Florida than on a cruise.... how often do you see Disney or any other tourist place disinfecting every single handrail, toilet, table, etc.?   

Even when there isn't a current "OMG the world is going to end" virus going around, the ships are still being constantly wiped down with disinfectant around the clock.  

How often do the pools and hot tubs at a hotel or waterpark get drained, disinfected, and refilled with new water?  Certainly not every 24 hours like on a cruise ship!

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Two passengers have died from the virus who were on Diamond Princess and some say tell mom not to worry or and another seems to think it is a fake epidemic. 😢

You are such a <bleep>.  

Did you know that an old person dies on pretty much EVERY SINGLE CRUISE SHIP EVERY WEEK?  (And both of the people who died from the virus were elderly.)  That's why cruise ships have a morgue fridge, to carry the bodies of the deceased back home. 

Just go back to living under your bridge with the others.

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You're WAY more likely to get sick going to standard touristy spots in Florida than on a cruise.... how often do you see Disney or any other tourist place disinfecting every single handrail, toilet, table, etc.?   

Even when there isn't a current "OMG the world is going to end" virus going around, the ships are still being constantly wiped down with disinfectant around the clock.  

How often do the pools and hot tubs at a hotel or waterpark get drained, disinfected, and refilled with new water?  Certainly not every 24 hours like on a cruise ship!

I never said Disney. People just keep assuming.

But yeah, in the past we’ve had family members contract norovirus on cruise ship and at Florida resort. I don’t have much faith in the cleaning standards of either.

But if somebody at our resort or wherever we are at on land was diagnosed with Coronavirus I’m more confident in the  outcome for us regarding potential quarantines and transmission than if we were on a ship. Obviously a lot of cruising fans feel otherwise.

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

You are such a <bleep>.  

Did you know that an old person dies on pretty much EVERY SINGLE CRUISE SHIP EVERY WEEK?  (And both of the people who died from the virus were elderly.)  That's why cruise ships have a morgue fridge, to carry the bodies of the deceased back home. 

Just go back to living under your bridge with the others.

So it is okay if they die because they are elderly? Their life is worth less? The Mom who is concerned may be elderly.

Sorry that you can not abide by an opinion other than your own but I am not going away. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Two passengers have died from the virus who were on Diamond Princess and some say tell mom not to worry or and another seems to think it is a fake epidemic. 😢

And how many thousands have died from regular flu?

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Still at it huh.

The people that died were over 80 years old and no doubt had other medical issues.

Something like 20,000 have died from the flu since October. Are you running around like a crazy person about this too?

• Like 2