Refunds from Oceania

stageberglaw

We finally received our refund, although it arrived in 'pieces' over several days: first a small amount representing our initial deposit, then a smaller amount for a deposit transferred from a cancelled cruise, then yesterday, at last, refund of the remaining total cruise payment.

• 3 weeks later...

Too lazy to look it up but we canceled our Sept. cruise about two weeks ago. The credit (deposit only) posted six days ago. I'm pleased. Especially after people warning about 90 days.

On 3/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, JDincalif said:

We finally received our refund, although it arrived in 'pieces' over several days: first a small amount representing our initial deposit, then a smaller amount for a deposit transferred from a cancelled cruise, then yesterday, at last, refund of the remaining total cruise payment.

Maybe different depts  handle different  payments

At least you have it all now

Be well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe different depts  handle different  payments

At least you have it all now

Be well

My deposit came through in 3 business days and remainder in about 6. Bank said there is a mandatory hold based on value and in some cases they have to verify transaction prior to posting. You can call the credit card number and they can tell you when it will post. 

2 minutes ago, schmerl said:

We cancelled our cruise March 20. Our deposit was credited to my card March 24. I was surprised it happened so quickly. 

Were you only  expecting the deposit back?

32 minutes ago, schmerl said:

We cancelled our cruise March 20. Our deposit was credited to my card March 24. I was surprised it happened so quickly. 

i cancelled two cruises ....1 I received back on my cc the other not yet.....so I guess they are just going thru 1 voyage at a time.

14 minutes ago, schmerl said:

Yes. We hadn't made our final payment yet. 

Thanks

After reading some of the posts here on refunds it sounds like different depts handle the different payments

Since you got the deposit back quickly this might be the case

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks

After reading some of the posts here on refunds it sounds like different depts handle the different payments

Since you got the deposit back quickly this might be the case

Yes, it seems that way. I canceled two (expensive) cruises for next year. I don't see us having the money for them, not a reflection of cruising in general.  I received the first deposit back in 10 days.  Still waiting on the other but certainly a reasonable amount of time. 

A lot of folks here are trying to compare apples to oranges. A deposit on a "cruise only" that hasn't hit the penalty phase is a far different animal than a multi-segment O Life cruise past final pay that also has purchased O excursions and/or has O Club loyalty perks where the payments have been split among two or more credit cards. Add DIY airfare change fees to that mix and it's obvious why some refunds takes days while others take weeks.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I cancelled a May 13 cruise when in the 25% penalty phase  was moving the next day to a 50% forfeiture. We were offered a 100 percent FCC. It is obvious that cruise is going to be cancelled. When that occurs, shouldn’t all booked passengers then be offered a full refund option? It shouldn’t matter if someone cancelled in advance of Oceania dragging their feet to cancel at the last moment. There is a financial reason for them doing that. These are not normal times...if they cancel regardless of when....a full refund should be offered. Good article on this exact point about cruise and airlines trying to keep your cash. The obvious risk of a future cruise credit is bankruptcy risk...and it ends up being worth zero. 

Edited by ffnole

18 minutes ago, ffnole said:

I cancelled a May 13 cruise when in the 25% penalty phase  was moving the next day to a 50% forfeiture. We were offered a 100 percent FCC. It is obvious that cruise is going to be cancelled. When that occurs, shouldn’t all booked passengers then be offered a full refund option? It shouldn’t matter if someone cancelled in advance of Oceania dragging their feet to cancel at the last moment. There is a financial reason for them doing that. These are not normal times...if they cancel regardless of when....a full refund should be offered. Good article on this exact point about cruise and airlines trying to keep your cash. The obvious risk of a future cruise credit is bankruptcy risk...and it ends up being worth zero. 

I agree with you but unfortunately Oceania (and the law) do not. When you cancelled your cruise you accepted the conditions of the cancellation that were in effect at the time of cancellation.

I have the same situation like you have on another cruise line and cannot get them to see my (and your) point of view 😞

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ffnole said:

I agree also. Here's my take on what Oceania is doing: 

Shortly after final payments for a certain month  have been made Oceania then cancels that batch of cruises. They are leveraging the money people have already paid by offering a 25% FCC if you let Oceania keep your money for up to a year. You are helping to finance Oceania in exchange for a 25% return on your money. You could call it a loan. You can take the gamble that Oceania will still be around a year from now or you can ask for a refund minus $500 admin fee for 2 people. You are still lending oceania money, just not as much.

We cancelled after the 120 day mark and received our refund in two weeks, minus the $250 pp administration fee which is a Future Cruise Credit if O is still operational and if we cruise with O in the next two years.  We will see.

Edited by shank63

To those posting that they have not received refunds: A. when you get the refund is not based on your sailing date but the date you cancelled, and B: your TA should have told you O is saying a refund could take 90 days from when requested.

I got this as part of the email sent to me :

"For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of guests’"

Did your TAs not tell you it could take 90 days when you discussed your options?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

To those posting that they have not received refunds: A. when you get the refund is not based on your sailing date but the date you cancelled, and B: your TA should have told you O is saying a refund could take 90 days from when requested.

I got this as part of the email sent to me :

"For guests who wish to not avail themselves of the future cruise credit, a 100% refund of the fare paid will be reimbursed to the original form of payment within 90 days of guests’"

Did your TAs not tell you it could take 90 days when you discussed your options?

No initially 10 days, so was hopeful, but those have been dashed.

30 minutes ago, swigso said:

On the same cruise nothing 😱

16 minutes ago, vlthom said:

On the same cruise AND the prior one (4/4 - 5/2).....haven't received a penny from Oceania yet.

Have either of you rebooked same for April 2021?