Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
stageberglaw

Refunds from Oceania

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, roger b said:

The question is are U.K customers not getting reinbursed for cruises that have been cancelled by Oceania,  and although  I have been told that I will have to wait 3 months  to receive my money back.

 

 

If you read some of the other forums  all cruise lines are slower in refunding  people  everywhere  including the UK

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

You're on thin ice. I just finished watching Tiger King. That needed subtitles in parts.

Lucky you - I have to use subtitles for all BBC and ABC shows - not just parts (and the Scots & Kiwis are the worst) 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I canceled the 2021 WC with O on March 17th.  Today I was told it would take 90 days to get our $20k deposit back 😱.  This is unacceptable.  I doubt O will see us in the future.  Times like this are when you show your true colors, O has failed....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I canceled the 2021 WC with O on March 17th.  Today I was told it would take 90 days to get our $20k deposit back 😱.  This is unacceptable.  I doubt O will see us in the future.  Times like this are when you show your true colors, O has failed....

Why don't you try disputing the charge with your credit card company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I canceled the 2021 WC with O on March 17th.  Today I was told it would take 90 days to get our $20k deposit back 😱.  This is unacceptable.  I doubt O will see us in the future.  Times like this are when you show your true colors, O has failed....

So you  are never cruising again  because the pandemic is causing  companies to  take longer to deal with refunds ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Why don't you try disputing the charge with your credit card company?

I paid in December, too long ago to dispute.  I think 90 days is the limit.

Edited by KirkNC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

Why don't you try disputing the charge with your credit card company?

I wonder if CC companies  will be stopping that practice  with so many disputes  going  on when the cruise lines are still dealing  with the refund process?

Where do the CC  get the money from to refund people?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

So you  are never cruising again  because the pandemic is causing  companies to  take longer to deal with refunds ??

Longer????  Why should it take 90 days?  It takes about 5 minutes to process a refund.  They are using our money to try and stay afloat.  I for one don't want to end up as an unsecured creditor when some of these line belly up.  I have received refunds from other lines within 30 days, O can do the same.  To me it reveals corporate character.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I wonder if CC companies  will be stopping that practice  with so many disputes  going  on when the cruise lines are still dealing  with the refund process?

Where do the CC  get the money from to refund people?

 

They take it from the disputed party, in this case the cruise line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

They take it from the disputed party, in this case the cruise line. 

You won't know until you try.

I made a claim on my Citi Thank you MC card. That card stopped their travel insurance in Sept 2019. This was for a Princess cruise this Jan. and the only payment I made on this card was a $200 deposit over a year ago.

They covered the claim of almost $3000

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Longer????  Why should it take 90 days?  It takes about 5 minutes to process a refund.  They are using our money to try and stay afloat.  I for one don't want to end up as an unsecured creditor when some of these line belly up.  I have received refunds from other lines within 30 days, O can do the same.  To me it reveals corporate character.  

 

well in normal times it may take 5 mins  but these are not  normal times

 I received a refund in normal times  within  a week  but they were  unlikely to be dealing  thousands of  refunds on the same  time frame

 have a look at some other cruise lines  as they are also taking up to 90 days for refunds

Just saying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Where do the CC  get the money from to refund people?

The way I understand it is when you place a dispute they give you a temporary credit - not a refund - until the dispute is settled.

The CC expects you to get the money from the cruise line but if the cruise line will not pay up for some reason then the CC may compensate you. By filing the dispute now you may insure that you don't miss a timeline for such a claim?

I am definitely not a lawyer but this is my understanding.

PS The money comes from their deep pockets created by the outrageous interests the cards charge - same as when your card is stolen and misused by someone else - you are made whole.

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

The way I understand it is when you place a dispute they give you a temporary credit - not a refund - until the dispute is settled.

The CC expects you to get the money from the cruise line but if the cruise line will not pay up for some reason then the CC may compensate you. By filing the dispute now you may insure that you don't miss a timeline for such a claim?

I am definitely not a lawyer but this is my understanding.

Yes I  do not know how it works either

 I was under the impression they had to wait for a response  from the company that you are disputing the charge with

if you get  your money back via the CC   then I guess  the company/cruise line can cancel the refund  once they figure out you have your money back

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

then I guess  the company/cruise line can cancel the refund  once they figure out you have your money back

I think it's the other way around. CC company waits what the cruise line does. If the cruise line pays you, the CC cancels the dispute.

CC does not pay out first - they wait for the response from the company in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And the money comes from the vendor, believe me I spent 35 years in banking.  No way is Chase or Citi going to fund the dispute.  Plus that gives the vendor some incentive to settle the dispute one way or the other.

Edited by KirkNC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cancelled an Oceania cruise due to COVID-19 concerns and expected a credit per emails we received from Oceania. We found that the Oceania email addressing the credit policy and the actual policy are two different animals. The actual policy (which was not in their emails) requires you pay the entire cost of the cruise before you get a credit. Their emails only state that you will get 100% of cruise fare paid. They will not budge so we will not be back aboard an Oceania vessel. We find this unfortunate because we really enjoyed our cruise from Barcelona to Rome last year on Riviera. Staff and crew were great.  Front office help not so much. Anyone with the same credit issue and interested in pursuing a class action against Oceania and their parent company?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldCOB said:

We cancelled an Oceania cruise due to COVID-19 concerns and expected a credit per emails we received from Oceania. We found that the Oceania email addressing the credit policy and the actual policy are two different animals. The actual policy (which was not in their emails) requires you pay the entire cost of the cruise before you get a credit. Their emails only state that you will get 100% of cruise fare paid. They will not budge so we will not be back aboard an Oceania vessel. We find this unfortunate because we really enjoyed our cruise from Barcelona to Rome last year on Riviera. Staff and crew were great.  Front office help not so much. Anyone with the same credit issue and interested in pursuing a class action against Oceania and their parent company?

Not enough info. Perhaps explain exactly what you are and what you aren't getting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cancelled the cruise and requested the credit for what we had paid go to the next cruise we book. They said no, which was counter to what their emails said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I think it's the other way around. CC company waits what the cruise line does. If the cruise line pays you, the CC cancels the dispute.

CC does not pay out first - they wait for the response from the company in question.

I saw on some other forums  people were disputing the charge with their CC  then got  a credit  back to their card

Did the cruise line approve the disputed  charge or  did the CC  just give the money back & let the cruise line suck up the amount??

 

So that is why  I am confused  of course these days of inactivity my brain might be suffering 😉

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OldCOB said:

We cancelled the cruise and requested the credit for what we had paid go to the next cruise we book. They said no, which was counter to what their emails said.

I will try LOL

 When was your cruise?

Did you  just pay the deposit  or the full payment?

Did you cancel the cruise   or did Oceania  cancel the cruise?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cruise was scheduled to begin June 4, 2020. We paid the deposit. We cAncelled March 20, 2020 expecting the deposit to go as a credit To the next IAW what their emails said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, OldCOB said:

We cancelled the cruise and requested the credit for what we had paid go to the next cruise we book. They said no, which was counter to what their emails said.

I am a bit confused?   Please copy/paste the wording from your email note from your TA.  We also received email information from our TA with the following:  NOTE KEYWORDs are “Paid in full”    For our upcoming cruise: (we canceled):  

From our Oceania email:   

NO-PENALTY CANCELLATIONS

  • Once paid in full, cancel for any reason up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid.
  • Valid for all existing reservations for scheduled voyages departing through September 30, 2020.
  • Update – Now valid for all new reservations through June 30th for scheduled voyages departing through September 30, 2020
  • Future Cruise Credit is valid for redemption for one year from date of issue for travel departing no later than December 31, 2022

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what our email said copied and pasted:

TRAVELERS ASSURANCE PROGRAM

NO-PENALTY CANCELLATIONS + BEST PRICE GUARANTEE

Guests and Travel Partners can now have total peace of mind knowing that should they need to cancel, for any reason, they will not lose a dollar. Guests may cancel up to 48 hours prior to cruise departure and will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid.

Additionally, consumers and travel advisors can book with confidence knowing that up to day of sailing, should there be another applicable Oceania Cruises public promotion that offers a better value through amenities or price, they may take advantage of that promotional offer and/or price.

PROGRAM APPLICABILITY AND CONDITIONS:

NO-PENALTY CANCELLATIONS

  • Cancel for any reason up to 48 hours prior to departure and receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid

  • Valid for all existing reservations for voyages departing from March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020

  • Valid for all new reservations through May 31st for voyages departing from March 10, 2020 through September 30, 2020

  • Future Cruise Credit is valid for redemption for one year from date of issue for travel departing no later than December 31, 2022

There's nothing in their to indicate payment in full is required to get a credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, OldCOB said:

Cruise was scheduled to begin June 4, 2020. We paid the deposit. We cAncelled March 20, 2020 expecting the deposit to go as a credit To the next IAW what their emails said. 

Confused

 When did you book the cruise?

 You should have paid in full by  early March ?

What was the final payment date on your invoice ?

If you did not pay the final payment  the cruise would have been cancelled  without a refund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...