First Time on Celebrity

Bristol5

As our first Celebrity cruise is approaching, I am feeling apprehensive.  The discussions on CC lead me to believe that there is a definite "class" system on Celebrity, and I am worried that I am going to be feeling like a "steerage" passenger with my verandah stateroom.  Can anyone out there give me any information to ease these uncomfortable feelings?

I have never felt this nor have I noticed it nor has anyone treated me any differently.   The crew is great to everyone.  There are different loyalty levels (which means you get more free stuff the more you cruise) and of course there are people who stay in inside cabins and those who can afford penthouse suites but I've never noticed any special treatment of anyone, beyond the perks they get from their loyalty level or because they've paid mega bucks for the kind of perks you get in a suite.  We usually stay in verandah cabins and we've always been treated like royalty.  I don't know if I've even met anyone who's stayed in the suites (not counting sky suites).  I don't know if that's because they don't flaunt it or because suites are so amazing that they never leave them.  LOL  I think if I could ever afford a penthouse or owners suite I would probably stay in it all the time.  

Don't worry.  You'll have a great time.  Everyone else is there to have a great time as well, not to look down their noses at others.

• Like 5

We have been on 25+ Celebrity cruises stayed in Veranda's, Aqua, CC and Suites and have ever felt  treated any differently based on my cabin category.  Service has been excellent.  Yes some cabin categories have added amenities, Blu & Persian Garden for Aqua, Luminae & the Retreat Lounge & Sun Deck for  Suites but they don't change the great experience for all passengers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AmberCascades said:

I have never felt this nor have I noticed it nor has anyone treated me any differently.   The crew is great to everyone.  There are different loyalty levels (which means you get more free stuff the more you cruise) and of course there are people who stay in inside cabins and those who can afford penthouse suites but I've never noticed any special treatment of anyone, beyond the perks they get from their loyalty level or because they've paid mega bucks for the kind of perks you get in a suite.  We usually stay in verandah cabins and we've always been treated like royalty.  I don't know if I've even met anyone who's stayed in the suites (not counting sky suites).  I don't know if that's because they don't flaunt it or because suites are so amazing that they never leave them.  LOL  I think if I could ever afford a penthouse or owners suite I would probably stay in it all the time.  

Don't worry.  You'll have a great time.  Everyone else is there to have a great time as well, not to look down their noses at others.

On board you never know who is in any cabin class. There are snobs on every cruise simply because you have a couple thousand passengers. I play lots of trivia on board. Have had players from the PH right to inside.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AmberCascades said:

Don't worry. You will be fine. I have traveled in both Concierge class and Veranda, and honestly there is barely a difference. Suite guests get a few perks, but, again, not noticeable. Celebrity is not a "class system" at all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The main differences is in where special SR groups dine. The Suites have Luminar, the Aqua has Blu. You won’t even remotely be impacted or feel you are excluded. 

and for loyalty, Celebrity gives some benefits such as Wi-Fi and laundry. The only ‘benefit’ you may run into that you may feel excluded will be a social happy hr that could close the Sky Lounge for a few hrs. That’s for those who have cruised a lot w Celebrity. 

so there is little if any real ‘class system’ that impacts regular customers.

den

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bristol5 said:

As our first Celebrity cruise is approaching, I am feeling apprehensive.  The discussions on CC lead me to believe that there is a definite "class" system on Celebrity, and I am worried that I am going to be feeling like a "steerage" passenger with my verandah stateroom.  Can anyone out there give me any information to ease these uncomfortable feelings?

RELAX, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!  The crew is fantastic and treats everyone with respect and great service.  You may bump into a snob or two on the cruise, (never from any crew member), but if you do, that's their problem!   So, relax, enjoy your cruise!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

We have been on several Celebrity Cruises in everything from inside, veranda, Aqua and there is no difference they way you are treated. Other than some perks there is no second class on Celebrity. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't waste a second worrying about it.  Yes, there are separate restaurants for a couple of the cabin classifications.  And yes, people in suites have a special bar area and a part of the deck reserved for them, and may get invited to a few things you may not like helipad sail-aways or private parties with the officers.  People may also get some extra perks because of their cabin classification or Captains Club status (like internet minutes, free beverage package, etc..).  But everyone on Celebrity is treated very well.  I have sailed in everything from inside cabins to ocean view to balcony to Aqua Class to Sky Suite.  I was always treated wonderfully no matter what cabin I booked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just finished our 4th Celebrity cruise.  We have stayed in Aqua, Verenda and the last 2 in Oceanview cabins.  The last cruise we were oceanview on level 2 the bottom on the ship. I noticed no difference in how we were treated than when we were Aqua other than not having a private dinning room.  The crews are excellent and treat everyone the same.   It really just comes down to the people who pay more for Suites or Aqua get a few perks and private dining areas.   

• Like 3

Just returned from our first Celebrity cruise and the only "class" system we were aware of were the off-limits venues designated for Suite or Aqua Class passengers. We knew about those in advance and it really didn't bother us. And we had just on oceanview cabin...on Deck 3 no less. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bristol5 said:

That's your opinion but I disagree, in my opinion. Would you provide some examples of what you've read on CC that gives you that impression. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, no reason to feel uncomfortable, you will receive exceptional service from all of the staff. I see from your signature you have 2 cruises with Royal Caribbean. If you haven't done so already, you should sign up for the Captains Club.  You will have reciprocal status at Classic Level. The phone # for the CC 1 800 760-0654. Enjoy your 1st Celebrity cruise, you will be hooked. 

• Like 1

Thank You all so Very much for your positive feedback!  I had been worrying about this for so long, and was afraid to even post the question, but you have all been so gracious and explained the different categories and perks so well! NO MORE WORRIES, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I had many of the same feelings last year when I booked Celebrity for the first time...my fears were completely alleviated  and we had a wonderful time - so much so that we leave again this Saturday for another Celebrity cruise 🙂 This time only adults! 

I have attached the link to the post that helped me so much!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP must be reading the postings of those who have not sailed on The Edge or like the 'Edgeification' going on around the fleet, possibly?

Not to worry, you can only 'feel' like it is a class system if you were going on a Cunard ship and a few others who ply the oceans....

Have fun, meet other passengers, have fun and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That's your opinion but I disagree, in my opinion. Would you provide some examples of what you've read on CC that gives you that impression. 

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my question.  I felt at the time that it was probably a silly question, but had hoped my concerns would be proven ridiculous, as they have been by all the wonderful, understanding responses.

I can't really site any particular "examples" it was just the discussions about "special dining venues" and class distinctions such as Aqua and Concierge that caused the concern.  I have a better understanding now, and will fret no more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bristol5 said:

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my question.  I felt at the time that it was probably a silly question, but had hoped my concerns would be proven ridiculous, as they have been by all the wonderful, understanding responses.

I can't really site any particular "examples" it was just the discussions about "special dining venues" and class distinctions such as Aqua and Concierge that caused the concern.  I have a better understanding now, and will fret no more.

Believe me, you didn't offend me. I was just curious as to what you read on CC that gave you that impression as you didn't elaborate. Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise. 🥂

IMO if someone is paying for something extra based on the type of stateroom or is in the top three tier level in the Celebrity Captains Club than someone else that hasn't paid for those extras then game on and they have a legitimate complaint. It's not that they feel or are more superior than others.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bristol5 said:

There are no silly questions. You are in for a wonderful time. Yes Aqua and Suites have separate dinine venues available to them but you will also see posts about people asking about being able to dine in the MDR. If you enjoyed your RC cruises you'll likely love X. The food and service are wonderful and the vibe is more relaxing and laid back. Don't worry, and if you haven't already done so, take the advice offered by @davekathy and get a Captains Club number attached to your reservation. it'll get you a few niceties. For the most part you'll find friendly fellow passengers (most of whom will also be staying in inside, ocean view and verandah cabins) who will not care one iota about where you're sleeping on board. The crew will be great. Have a great time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bristol5 said:

ignore the the threads on here talking about other classes of room. dont worry that only concierge rooms get the MDR lunch on sailaway, nor the helicopter pad, dont worry about aqua and blu because you sit 2 inches from your neighbor which is very awkward, ditto luminae. matter of fact lunimae people like blu better and they infringe on the aqua people.  and just ignore the gates to the other areas of the ship  you arent to go on. think about what you do get for your money. not what you dont.

it takes someone not familiar with X to realize the difference here. the old timers here dont see anything different than you and me. there's a certain way certain posters on here talk that is how they are, there's no bad intent at all. you just need to realize they are all different. some literally do own their own companies and are rich..others arent...you can still have class and not be rich. i see what you saw. so you dont have to explain it to me. it is there. i mean, here. people have threads on here saying they know such and such person in blu was really in a suite and shoudlnt be in there. id really love to know who keeps track of that kind of crap? it's insane. when i was haven in NCL and went into the MDR i guarantee you that no other guests knew i was haven unless they craned their neck over to see the card i gave for my drinks.  yet over here, somehow people know what kind of room you are in. yea it's weird. just laugh at those threads. or ignore. let the classes bicker among themselves. 

dont let it dissuade you. you are allowed to wear shorts anytime except evenings (only in the buffet) and even then you can wear jeans. even on chic nites. i fully intend to comply with the rules..wearing jeans every day to dinner..shorts every other time. i dont worry about what others wear and ill never post that i was offended and my cruise was diminished because of what others wear. yet..you will see that all over the place here.  it also blows my mind when i hear that 'i got looks about xyz' that i wore.  who even looks around at what others are doing? who cares that they eyeball you. i assure you, i dont. dont let what others do/wear/say affect how you feel. thats the best advice i can give. 

i fully vetted the summit and deemed her worthy of my presence...oops..did i say that ..:)

truth is after comparing all the freebees, it literally was 100 bucks a day to do X vs carnival for a bermuda trip. yes i have a very detail spreadsheet to prove it. i was shocked.  so lets make it a point to come back and review post cruise how things really were on the ships for us. 

and if perchance u do see some class warfare on the ship, tell them you are so happy you are a lowly veranda so you dont have those stressful things to worry about. or you can be daring. one night try to run into luminae an tell us what happens. 😉 yea id love to see that story on CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bristol5 said:

Luckyinpa, I appreciate your post.🙂

YW, newbies gotta stick together. i wouldnt be forking over 5K for a cabin if i didnt think i wouldnt have a good time on the ship. i research everything. yea. im that crazy. i just discovered on the side of my bed will be a steward closet..sigh...yet i'm still going lol

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

YW, newbies gotta stick together. i wouldnt be forking over 5K for a cabin if i didnt think i wouldnt have a good time on the ship. i research everything. yea. im that crazy. i just discovered on the side of my bed will be a steward closet..sigh...yet i'm still going lol

I'd not fret about that steward closet. We were in 2151 on Reflection a couple years back. It's a large balcony on the slant of the hump at midship with the steward closet right outside the door. We were never once disturbed (well some might argue that we're quite disturbed but I think they have another meaning in mind 😜). We did find it quite handy since anytime we came or went from the cabin the steward knew to make up the room or leave us alone. We also could find him easily if we needed anything and we really got to know him (he was one of the best we've had).

I have felt special in every category we've sailed on Celebrity.  The service has always been impeccable regardless of stateroom.  Having said that, I will admit that our last cruise was in a Royal Suite and they absolutely went above and beyond to make sure we were happy and having a great time...more so than in any other category I had sailed...but we paid a premium for that level of attention.  Unlike some other cruise lines, I do not feel like I need to book that category every time just to get a level of service that makes me feel special and my dollar appreciated.  In fact, our upcoming cruise in April (5 nights on the Infinity) is in an ocean view category with a deal too good to pass up at $349 pp and a drinks package.  Woohoo! I think you have nothing to worry about.

As a side note, I have placed a bid on a balcony stateroom..just because, but will be fine if it gets rejected.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches