Men's dress code

travelmama06

There is one exception to the shorts rule. If all luggage has not been distributed to cabins OR if a passenger's luggage is misplaced on sailing day.

Understand Bermuda with a jacket and tie.

If on our upcoming cruises the shabby guy with shorts is in Blu - I will gladly complain.

Just thought of another exception. They allowed shorts one evening when we were cruising off Antarctica.

If I had a choice between cruising with the sort of people who wear shorts to dinner and the sort who complain about what other people wear, I know which I would choose.
And no, I have never worn shorts to dinner.

• Like 2

I wouldn't wear shorts but I do not really care what others wear, its a vacation and be comfortable.  I wore suits for work for 40 years and I loved when the cruise lines went smart casual and no suits anymore. I do not even own a suit now. My job for the last 10 years has been a golf shirt and Kakis, the same I wear on cruise ships now.

Edited by terrydtx

On this thread there is anecdotal evidence of people wearing shorts and getting away with it most of the time, we don't know the circumstances such as not getting luggage.   Bottom line is shorts are prohibited in the restaurants in the evening.  If someone want to just bring shorts on the cruise and not pants, it is their choice of course but based on over 25 years experience on Celebrity, you will more then likely not be denied admission  to the dining room.   Your choice, your chance.  

Also, I have never cared what other people wear because I don't know the circumstances.   Have felt that way since many, many years ago meeting on the cruise a man who did not get his luggage.  He was  a very heavy man and they didn't have clothes on board that fit him so he was in the same T shirt and shorts all week.   

Edited by dkjretired

isnt the only time you see what someone is wearing 'down below' when they walk in/out of the restaurant? assume a slow walker and it takes 3 minutes to get to a seat. does seeing someone in shorts for 3 minutes really destroy how your food tastes or how good a  time you have with your tablemates? to let others affect you in such a way is kind of sad to me. i cannot imagine going out to eat at any restaurant with you because you would be judging what everyone else is wearing and probably talk about it the entire time instead of giving me your attention. 

perhaps better to keep your eyes on your tablemates and enjoy their company rather than gawk at every person coming in the restaurant would solve the issue. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

isnt the only time you see what someone is wearing 'down below' when they walk in/out of the restaurant? assume a slow walker and it takes 3 minutes to get to a seat. does seeing someone in shorts for 3 minutes really destroy how your food tastes or how good a  time you have with your tablemates? to let others affect you in such a way is kind of sad to me.

That isn't really how I look at this question, and no, it has no impact on the food or my experience at the table, it is more that I find it sad that with so few rules there are still people unable to follow even these very light guidelines designed to maintain the sort of ambiance that goes with the rest of the decor and style of the ship.

Not exactly a hidden rule so why not follow it or find a ship that doesn't have the rule rather than book and plan to ignore it... ?

I find it very unfair to put Celebrity staff in the firing line to decide how and when to enforce it, do them the courtesy of following the rules and not putting them in an awkward position...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 4

On 2/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, mduffy1834 said:

On our last Celebrity cruise (5 nightery), hubby wore shorts to dinner every night.  He only wanted to bring a carry on for luggage and this is what worked.  Nice shorts and collared shirts/polo/Hawaiian shirt and no one stopped him, main dining room or specialty restaurants.  I have to say, he still looked better than a lot of men we saw.  I saw cut off shorts, t-shirts of all kinds and conditions, etc.  We had decided before hand that, if he was stopped, we would just go up to buffet .  

That might have been the case for you on your cruise but it is generally not allowed on most cruises.  So I would not take a chance only packing shorts even if more dressy ones.  You might end up dining in the buffet every night- unless that is OK with you.

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've worn my Kilt before and only the table mate who took a picture under the table will tell you whether I wore shorts or not.  🙂

Ha Ha!  But in reality I have often seen men in Kilts on formal nights in the MDR.  No problem.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:31 PM, Mark_T said:

That isn't really how I look at this question, and no, it has no impact on the food or my experience at the table, it is more that I find it sad that with so few rules there are still people unable to follow even these very light guidelines designed to maintain the sort of ambiance that goes with the rest of the decor and style of the ship.

Not exactly a hidden rule so why not follow it or find a ship that doesn't have the rule rather than book and plan to ignore it... ?

I find it very unfair to put Celebrity staff in the firing line to decide how and when to enforce it, do them the courtesy of following the rules and not putting them in an awkward position...

Totally agree. There are always those who will try to ignore the rules, and many get away with it. Reminds me of my kids trying to slip out of the house in the morning wearing their own interpretation of their school uniform. That didn't always work - they would get sent home to change too.  

On 2/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, bookitdanno said:

Permanent Collection

DOLCE & GABBANA

ripped detail piped jeans
$1,61650% Off$808

Agree.

Also, once you start allowing "dress shorts", short shorts are sure to follow...and then you're Carnival.

Look at what has happened with "Designer jeans" on chic nights. Now torn jeans are allowed, bib overalls are allowed.

Beware the slippery slope.

Designer jeans come "torn"

2 hours ago, Harvey1976 said:

Say for instance you decided to have room service one evening could you go to an outside bar in shorts or is it just a complete No?

The dress codes apply only to the restaurants, no where else on the ship except the theater which hasn’t been enforced in years.