Crown Grill

Justalone

From online:
“CROWN GRILL
PREMIUM SEAFOOD AND CHOP HOUSE
Cover Charge $29 per person
Dinner includes one main course. Please enjoy any additional mains for $10 each.”

Does that mean I can order more than one appetizer, more than one soup/salad, and more than one desert for $29?

And if I want to order another beef steak it will only be an additional $10?

What beef steak do you recommend?

Is the beef steak better quality than that available in the main dining room?  Is the meat USDA Prime grade?

Is it possible to make a same day reservation?

Thank you.

Edited by Justalone
Big eater question.

Many questions, I’ll try to tackle a few.

Extra apps / desserts.  We’ve certainly ordered 3 of each for 2 without any questions.  Honestly though you’ll get so much food some will go to waste.

Same day bookings are possible though times may be quite picked over.  We’ve even been served walk up, no reservation though this works best later in the evening, after say 8:30.

Beef is certainly of a higher standard.  Seafood, I’m less sure, perhaps just larger.

hope this helps

9 hours ago, Justalone said:

Does that mean I can order more than one appetizer, more than one soup/salad, and more than one desert for $29?

Yes

And if I want to order another beef steak it will only be an additional $10?

Yes

What beef steak do you recommend?

Filet is the best one they have IMO

Is the beef steak better quality than that available in the main dining room?  Is the meat USDA Prime grade?

Yes, but not prime

Is it possible to make a same day reservation?

Yes

• Like 2

Just ate there last week. I ordered the ribeye and it was large and really good. I ordered the cream spinach for the vegetable and the serving size was quite large. My wife got the lobster and it was large and served with butter. It was much better than the main dining room lobster as it was small, served with no drawn butter and served over a dry clump of tasteless rice.

I asked the waiter if the $10 charge would apply if my wife wanted to order a steak with her lobster tail. He said that was correct.

Both my wife and I were so full after our meal we barely ate 1/2 of our dessert. So you better have a huge appetite if you order two main entrees there.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, WallyNDiane said:

Just ate there last week. I ordered the ribeye and it was large and really good. I ordered the cream spinach for the vegetable and the serving size was quite large. My wife got the lobster and it was large and served with butter. It was much better than the main dining room lobster as it was small, served with no drawn butter and served over a dry clump of tasteless rice.

I asked the waiter if the $10 charge would apply if my wife wanted to order a steak with her lobster tail. He said that was correct.

Both my wife and I were so full after our meal we barely ate 1/2 of our dessert. So you better have a huge appetite if you order two main entrees there.

Our favorite is also the ribeye. There is no way we could consume an appetizer, that steak, plus a lobster and a dessert in one sitting. We always take leftover steak to the room for a late night snack. We go there earlier in the cruise so we almost always have a night where it's the perfect snack.

If we really wanted surf& turf, we'd each order one and share, and still walk out way too full. It's a LOT of food.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Yes

Yes

Filet is the best one they have IMO

Yes, but not prime

Yes

I am usually a steak lover especially filet, and theirs is fine- not quite up to Ruth Chris Steak House quality but quite good.  But I have found that I have loved the veal chop.  It is huge!  and it tastes divine.  So when we go more than once a cruise, I usually get the veal chop and then the filet.  As far as the lobster goes, I find it disappointing and not even worth the $10 extra.  One time I ordered just the lobster for my main course and it was rather small (bigger than in the main dining room) and they only served you 1!  It is definitely not fresh but defrosted and over cooked.  In my opinion, I would think twice about ordering the lobster.  If you eat fresh Maine lobster on any or several occasions, you definitely will be disappointed.  The meat is generally very good.

The veggies are served separately and one order is enough for two people.  Veggies are fine.  Desserts, to me, are fine but 

not in that "Wow" factor category.  

Pooh

I think the filet is great, just as good as a steakhouse like Ruth's Chris or  Mortons which I've eaten at many times. Last cruise I had the veal chop and found it "to die for" good.  The servings are big. You won't need two entrees unless you normally eat a ton of food.  I recommend reservations. It gets crowded.

• Like 2

While the Princess descriptions of Crown Grill states that the beef is "prime," I seriously doubt that it is "USDA Prime."  If it was USDA Prime, that information would be loud and clear in the Princess description.  Consider "prime" as it is used by Princess to be "advertising fluff."

That being said we, generally, dine in Crown Grill at least once or twice every cruise.  The experience has ranged from "outstanding" to "meh."  The Filet is, generally, good, but I also enjoy the Porterhouse Steak and the Lamb Chops.  The biggest problem I have had in the Crown Grill is getting the preparation that I prefer.  I like it rare--blue rare.  I have learned that when the server asks how I would like it prepared, I usually get good results when I pause for a second, stare him in the eye and say. "rare, blood rare."  That, usually, works, and, to be honest, I really don't know if any failure was the fault of the galley or of the server.

Also, though, there are two excellent seafood entrees: the Mussel Pot and the Chilean Sea Bass,  The one time I ordered Lobster Tails I was not impressed, but it may have just been a bad night in the galley.

There is no problem getting multiple sides.  I might add, though, that the sides are presented on the table in their own serving dishes, and there is plenty for two people in one of these dishes.  So, if I ask for the Creamed Spinach, and my wife asks for the Grilled Asparagus, I get all the asparagus I want.

I'm sure there is no problem ordering multiple desserts, but the dessert menu has an entry called "The Crown Dependence" which is a small portion of each of their four dessert offerings.

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Food is subjective, but my experience is that the food at the Crown grill is good, but no where near Ruth's Chris or Morton's quality.  I would liken it more to O'Charley's or Longhorn.

I'd put it better than Longhorn but not as good as Morton's. It's definitely up there, but not the best. 

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Food is subjective, but my experience is that the food at the Crown grill is good, but no where near Ruth's Chris or Morton's quality.  I would liken it more to O'Charley's or Longhorn.

I agree with this assessment.  The steak is definitely better than the MDR, but doesn’t rise to the level of a fine steak house like Ruth’s Chris.

• Like 1

We recently dined at the Crown Grill on the Sky and had an excellent experience.  We were seated at a quiet booth and had an excellent waiter.  My friend ordered the rib eye and the waiter suggested the bone in rib eye.  She said it was delicious, as were our filets.  Yes to the onion soup and I had a scallop appetizer that was excellent. 

We always take cash with us to leave for the waiter.  It says gratuity is included but we like to reward a hard working knowledgeable server.  And it is always appreciated 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

We always take cash with us to leave for the waiter.  It says gratuity is included but we like to reward a hard working knowledgeable server.  And it is always appreciated 

I'l always wondered when giving cash for an extra tip if it goes into the ships pool or do the waiters in the Crown Grill have their own separate pool?

I know they do like it to be cash and not added to the tab.

Comments?

10 hours ago, mevs904 said:

I agree with this assessment.  The steak is definitely better than the MDR, but doesn’t rise to the level of a fine steak house like Ruth’s Chris.

I guess everyone's ideas about steak vary a lot.  I don't consider Ruth's Chris that big a deal.  Honestly it's not that hard to get excellent filet where we live and we find it in most of our favorite restaurants, even ones that are not a proper steakhouse.  As long as it's tender, cooked perfectly and well seasoned, I'm happy. I think other cuts of steak are subject to more easily noticeable differences in quality. Porterhouse, NY strip for example. Filet is filet is filet, so long as executed properly. I was impressed with the Crown Grill food quality.  Nuff said!  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BIG TIME CRUISER said:

It might not be worth the $29 upcharge but having a BOGO coupon is fine with me. 

This is us now.  We used to do it at $25/pp on the formal nights to not have to deal with formal wear, but after the price increase and the additional charge for another entree, we decided it just wasn't worth the money anymore, so we only eat there when we have the BOGO.  It's worth $29 to me, but not $58.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

This is us now.  We used to do it at $25/pp on the formal nights to not have to deal with formal wear, but after the price increase and the additional charge for another entree, we decided it just wasn't worth the money anymore, so we only eat there when we have the BOGO.  It's worth $29 to me, but not $58.

We use to dress for formal nights in the DR but no longer. Just dressing a bit above casual is all that's necessary lately & since the better meals are always on formal evenings we just use our BOGO coupon on the first night and are done with specialty restaurants for the rest on the cruise.