Received specialty dining credits on Infinity...now what?

smogfarmgirl

Due to an issue with our booking, Celebrity gave us each 2 credits to specialty dining on our Infinity cruise next month. Very nice of them, I didn’t ask for them. Here’s my question....we are Aqua class so just planned on eating in Blu for all dinners. Now what? It’s only a 5 night cruise, and I’m not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth (where on earth did we get that expression😂) but I’m not excited about eating specialty. My question is in parts...

1) Am I wrong...should I be excited?

2) Also, they said the credits would be in our room as tickets, so I won’t be able to make advanced reservations...is this a problem?

3) Is it wrong/presumptuous/possible to ask them to change this to some other kind of perk/benefit?

4) Which specialty restaurants do I go to if I need to use them? Which are your favorites?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!

Edited by smogfarmgirl

25 minutes ago, smogfarmgirl said:

Due to an issue with our booking, Celebrity gave us each 2 credits to specialty dining on our Infinity cruise next month. Very nice of them, I didn’t ask for them. Here’s my question....we are Aqua class so just planned on eating in Blu for all dinners. Now what? It’s only a 5 night cruise, and I’m not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth (where on earth did we get that expression😂) but I’m not excited about eating specialty. My question is in parts...

1) Am I wrong...should I be excited?

2) Also, they said the credits would be in our room as tickets, so I won’t be able to make advanced reservations...is this a problem?

3) Is it wrong/presumptuous/possible to ask them to change this to some other kind of perk/benefit?

4) Which specialty restaurants do I go to if I need to use them? Which are your favorites?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom!

Congratulations,

You are somewhat fortunate that Celebrity chose to offer you some compensation for whatever difficulties you had with your original booking.

As to the Specialty Dining options, I would say "go for it".  In our opinion, the most sophisticated of the venues is Murano, although the service can sometimes feel "contrived".  We have always enjoyed the slightly less "formal" feeling of Tuscan Grill -- there are also some great window seat tables, for a fabulous view whilst dining.  We are not fans of Le Petit Chef, although many folks seem to love it.  We view that venue more as "entrainment" rather than "fine dining".  

As stated this are merely our opinions.  The only way you can decide which is your best option is give them a "trial run".  At least it won't cost you any charges -- unless you "really" like it and it becomes a "must do" for future cruises.

Enjoy your cruise -- wherever to choose to eat.

NRayH

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ray in NH said:

Congratulations,

You are somewhat fortunate ..

NRayH

Thanks NRayH.  I do wish there was a Murano on the Infinity, sadly it appears there's not. 

We also thought La Petite Chef seems a little....contrived? I mean if it was on a Disney cruise I'd go for it, but the menu didn't sounds fantastic, and 2 hours of that seems like a lot.

Thanks for the reply.

There are 2 versions of LPC and different menus.  We preferred the original La Petit Chef  menu and animation over the Le Petit Chef and friends men & animation.

You may want to ask when you board if there will be a lunch offered in one of the specialty restaurants, that would be a option for using your certificates, I;m not sure if they do thus on 5 night cruises.

Edited by jelayne

We were just on Infinity.  We find Tuscan to be hit or miss on may ships.  On this cruise, it was very good, service was attentive without being obtrusive, and we both enjoyed our meals.  The Sommelier did a nice job of pairing a wine for each of us.

I'm not a fan of BLU, not that there is anything wrong, it just does not excite me, so I would gladly go to Tuscan or Sushi on 5. 

1 hour ago, Ray in NH said:

As to the Specialty Dining options, I would say "go for it".  In our opinion, the most sophisticated of the venues is Murano, although the service can sometimes feel "contrived".  We have always enjoyed the slightly less "formal" feeling of Tuscan Grill -- there are also some great window seat tables, for a fabulous view whilst dining.  We are not fans of Le Petit Chef, although many folks seem to love it.  We view that venue more as "entrainment" rather than "fine dining".

Unfortunately the Infinity does not have a Murano, your choices on the Infinity are the Tuscan Grill and LPC. There is also the Sushi on 5 but it is ala carte ordering and I wouldn't know if the two freebies includes this venue.

Just now, justcrusn said:

One other thought, the first nights menu in Blu is usually excellent, so I wouldn’t book it then. You can see the menus posted each day by the door, so find a menu that isn’t your favorite dish in Blu, then use your “freebie”

Good idea, thanks!

So it doesn’t seem like anyone wants to address my #3 question on possible changing this perk/benefit. Asking too much from them, lol?

Changing it may be hard to do...but you can always ask...Try at Guest Relations desk when you first board...

But, personally, we loved Le Petit Chef...We had pre-booked it, then found out about the two different menus, so rescheduled while onboard...it was no problem, we got the seating we wanted, even scheduling it that late.

On our last cruise, we had Aqua class (Blu)...My wife actually wasn't all that thrilled with Blu (though I know some are) so we likely won't cruise in Aqua again for now...Just know that it is more similar to the main dining room experience than to a specialty restaurant.  That specialty restaurant, IMHO, IS worth taking them up on.  We like Tuscan Grille quite a bit...but Le Petit Chef really was special...If I were you, I would just do it...

3 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

That specialty restaurant, IMHO, IS worth taking them up on.  We like Tuscan Grille quite a bit...but Le Petit Chef really was special...If I were you, I would just do it...

Thanks! It’s our first cruise so I don’t really know what to expect, and were usually pretty go-with-the-flow people, so maybe we’ll just give them a shot😁

First cruise?  Yes, go to Le Petit Chef (or Tuscan, if you like the menu and don't want the really cool presentation).

Here's why:  Blu is actually very nice...but, over the course of your cruise, even a short five night one, it will feel pretty much the same every night.  It's got a few benefits over the main dining room--much smaller, easier to just show up and get seated every time.  The service is excellent--but the service in the main dining room is excellent as well.  But, every night, you will get seated, handed a menu, order and your courses brought to you.  The menu will change each night--though some standards remain.  It's like going to the same, albeit very good, restaurant every night.  The specialty restaurant, whichever you choose, will break up that pattern.  It's like saying "Let's try something different tonight"...And, since they normally charge extra for it, they really try to make it something special.

Now, a lot of the time, we tend to think "Why should I pay that much more for dinner when I've already paid for a very nice dinner in my cruise fare?"...And I tend to agree (though we always seem to go to a specialty restaurant one or two times a cruise anyway).  BUT, in your case, you are not spending ANYTHING extra for the experience...might as well take it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Blu is actually very nice...but, over the course of your cruise, even a short five night one, it will feel pretty much the same every night.  ... It's like saying "Let's try something different tonight"...And, since they normally charge extra for it, they really try to make it something special.

Good point!

13 minutes ago, DanaDanes said:

My suggestion would be lunch at embarkation at sushi in 5 . Blu doesn’t do lunch and you could avoid the buffet madness! The food is very good even if you don’t like raw fish. The ramen bowls are delicious. 

Sounds like a good idea...we both love sushi! How does a specialty dining credit work since it’s an a la carte menu?

They 

14 minutes ago, smogfarmgirl said:

Sounds like a good idea...we both love sushi! How does a specialty dining credit work since it’s an a la carte menu?

I can’t recall the exact amount they give you, but it is something like 30 bucks per person to order off the menu. Plenty for a couple of rolls or sashimi, a couple of ramen and a scoop of mochi. 

• Like 1