Cabin Steward's Normal Cleaning

knittinggirl

The railings are cleaned daily.  The rooms are cleaned twice daily.  I keep things tidy but that’s the total amount of “cleaning” I do.  I’ve been in my room when a heavy cleaning crew has come in and washed down the walls.  I don’t do that kind of cleaning either.  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I opt for once daily cleaning and they do a very thorough job.  My major concerns are floors and bathrooms and they are always spotless.  Most people have the default twice daily.  The second cleaning is a turn down and pick up.  You can still get your chocolates even if you opt out of the 2nd cleaning😁

7 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Also, how often do they clean the railings?

I’m an early riser and railings are cleaned bright and early.

I’ve seen them back cleaning them around 1’ish, 4’ish and later in the evening 

I tend to do stairs a lot so I notice this stuff. 😉 

• Like 2

I think HAL is very smart about the rail cleaning. Sure it keeps the ship clean but it is also a first line of customer service.  Those assigned to rail duty are always the most pleasant people.  In my experience this is unique to HAL.  I am sure other lines clean the rails but HAL crew are always very visibly cleaning the rails 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I opt for once daily cleaning and they do a very thorough job.  My major concerns are floors and bathrooms and they are always spotless.  Most people have the default twice daily.  The second cleaning is a turn down and pick up.  You can still get your chocolates even if you opt out of the 2nd cleaning😁

On HAL, you get twice daily service.   There is no option for once a day, morning or night.   You get a full cleaning in the day, after you leave your cabin, and then a turndown and towel replacement service (plus towel animal) while you are at dinner.  I think some other cruise lines provide a card in your cabin first day, asking you to select which service you want, morning or evening.  HAL does both, automatically.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

On HAL, you get twice daily service.   There is no option for once a day, morning or night.   You get a full cleaning in the day, after you leave your cabin, and then a turndown and towel replacement service (plus towel animal) while you are at dinner.  I think some other cruise lines provide a card in your cabin first day, asking you to select which service you want, morning or evening.  HAL does both, automatically.

There is a choice. You tell your steward that is what you want. They are happy to comply.  I have had once daily for the last 3 HAL cruises. 

Edited by Mary229

They do a great job, and we've discovered that some of those stewards stay with HAL year-in year-out.  We've been pleasantly surprised to find that we sometimes have the same stewards from previous cruises.  Don't know if this is the luck of the draw or if they are assigned to the same cabins during their contracts because we tend to repeatedly book our "favorite" cabin on each ship.  This past Christmas, our steward introduced himself and then reminded us that he'd served us the previous Christmas.  What a nice surprise!  Returning to a HAL ship is coming home in more ways than one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think HAL is very smart about the rail cleaning. Sure it keeps the ship clean but it is also a first line of customer service.  Those assigned to rail duty are always the most pleasant people.  In my experience this is unique to HAL.  I am sure other lines clean the rails but HAL crew are always very visibly cleaning the rails 

I noticed on both of our Carnival cruises that someone was always cleaning the railings on the staircase! We use the stairs a lot because we have a rule on cruises to never use the lift (so we can eat and drink what we like lol). Good to hear HAL is the same. 

I also saw on CC many years ago that people bring Glen 20 to spray the air con vents and room as soon as one arrives. We have done this on our 3 previous cruises... touch wood...no-one has ever been sick!

23 hours ago, Mary229 said:

There is a choice. You tell your steward that is what you want. They are happy to comply.  I have had once daily for the last 3 HAL cruises. 

I understand that you can request once-a-day cleaning, but my big question is.....why would you do this ???   Why would anyone refuse a morning full cleaning, AND an evening turn-down service during your dinner time, along with pillow chocolates, the next day's program,  freshened pillows, towel animals, and replacement of any towels you may have used.  Plus with 2 services, your ice bucket is replenished twice a day.   To me, refusing 2 services a day saves no money, and you are turning away a service that you have already paid for with your cruise fare and the daily hotel service charge.   On the occasional sea day when you just want to hang out in your cabin and watch movies, that's what the "Privacy Please" door hanger tag is for. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

I understand that you can request once-a-day cleaning, but my big question is.....why would you do this ???   Why would anyone refuse a morning full cleaning, AND an evening turn-down service during your dinner time, along with pillow chocolates, the next day's program,  freshened pillows, towel animals, and replacement of any towels you may have used.  Plus with 2 services, your ice bucket is replenished twice a day.   To me, refusing 2 services a day saves no money, and you are turning away a service that you have already paid for with your cruise fare and the daily hotel service charge.   On the occasional sea day when you just want to hang out in your cabin and watch movies, that's what the "Privacy Please" door hanger tag is for. 

Because after dinner I usually hurry back to my cabin to change for a swim and hot tub soak then back for a shower.  They hand off the chocolates in passing. Programs are left in the mailbox.   I prefer not being disrupted or disrupting the evening schedule.  Admittedly I cruise differently and for different reasons than most people on this board but that is one of the strengths of modern cruising - it appeals to a broader audience.