One Full Day in Venice, Worth it?

mmadhatter

Our flight  From the States To FCO  arrives Tuesday morning around 8 AM  (October 20th).   There’s a train to Venice that leaves around 11 and we’d arrive around 3ish.  If we get a hotel near the train station and rest up, we could spend the next full day in Venice before heading to Rome on Thursday. The big question for experienced travelers is this:  is it worth the hours of train travel to see Venice for one full day or should we just add this day to our Rome travels?  Also, is it possible to get through customs and to the train station by 1030ish?  TIA.  

I'd do it in a heartbeat !!   LOVE Venice ..... it's magical, there's nothing like it.  

You'll sleep on the train.

(I looked at flights and there are a few for $70 but at 9:30am or 1:30pm so they don't work with your arrival time)

If you go to Venice how many days will you have in Rome.  Enough for your planned sightseeing ?  

you need to visit Venice for a day to see if it is worth a return visit

personally we find the place over ated but if we had not been would have always wondered

the joy of cruising for us is visiting several destinations for a taster to see if we would return

some have been surprises-both pleasant and not so

This prior to a cruise out of Civitavecchia, on Sunday, correct?  Also consider that Civitavecchia is a good hour and a half to two hours plus trip from Central Rome ...depending on whether you go by car or by train--and with a train, you need to account for the train schedule as well...and a ride from the Civitavecchia rr station to the port... So, consider getting to Civitavecchia on Saturday afternoon to give you the least stress-filled Sunday morning getting to the ship.

You also don't really know what will happen with your flight arrival...planes get delayed, connections missed, luggage lost, etc.  I would not count on making it to an 11:00 am train out of Rome Termini...

I would save Venice for another trip...

Get to a hotel in Rome at your leisure after your flight arrives.  Remember, you may be tired after all of that travel time...and you will be several hours off of your usual time zone...So, plan on a relaxing Tuesday...take Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to see Rome...Rome wasn't built in a day...and neither is it toured in a day!

If you have been to Rome before often and three full days is too much time for you in Rome (like there is such a thing), maybe go somewhere else nearby instead...Tivoli or Orvieto are great choices...In fact, Tivoli is a short train, taxi or Uber trip out of Rome and is a great little town with some very worthwhile sites--the Villa Adriana (Roman era ruins), Villa d' Este and the Villa Gregoriana to name three...We spent a couple of days there--stayed in a great little B&B--"Catillo"...

And, if you haven't been to Italy before, don't try to fit both Rome and Venice into such a short time...There is so much to see in Rome...

Edited by Bruin Steve

I can understand the "it's exhausting, save Venice for the next trip". However, life is unpredictable, and you never know, so I would go to Venice. Personally, Rome is my favorite city in the world (though that list does change often), but Venice is a close second. It is such a unique city, with a challenging future from both climate issues and overcrowding, so I would go now. And again later, if you are so lucky!

On 2/20/2020 at 6:02 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

I would not do it.  Venice is wonderful.  But that's too much for too little reward.  Focus on seeing Rome.

Personally, the above would be my feeling as well. There is so much to see in Rome - I would spend my time in Rome & save Venice for another trip. Methinks the OP would be attempting to cram too much into a short span of time - sometimes less is more.