Passports

Pickels

5 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

It just automates collecting the information off your passport.  You used to have to enter passport number, issue date etc.    To me that's the best reason to use the app to do online checkin.

Am confused. Just used the Celebrity App and entered my passport data as before. The only big difference was uploading a photo.  Nothing about a scan of my passport. Would probably not do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Am confused. Just used the Celebrity App and entered my passport data as before. The only big difference was uploading a photo.  Nothing about a scan of my passport. Would probably not do that.

Airlines have done this for years. The airline apps  read the numerical codes at that bottom of your passport and automate the entry. That's all. I assume that's all the Celebrity app does. Eliminates data entry errors and simplifies the process.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pickels said:

Not a problem but, then what's the purpose of having scanned your passport?  Sort of double check, what's on the phone and what's on their database?

They want to make sure 1) that you have it with you and 2) that it's actually yours.

40 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

They want to make sure 1) that you have it with you and 2) that it's actually yours.

Thanks All!  Great Info!    Appreciate all your input, let's get cruising!  Happy Cruisin'!

It could also act as a check off for you to see that it is still valid and didn’t expire.   We had to renew ours last year.  

A  host in Michael’s also told and showed us all the info that they have on the passengers that is used before the cruise.  They actually prescreen all the passengers checking to make sure there are no warrants for arrest and etc. along with making sure that they aren’t on their blacklist.   We were showed that because we walked in and no one asked to see if we were suite guests.   The host told us that the crew is given access to the photos, names, CC level,  and etc of all the passengers for the upcoming cruise to get familiar with them and see if they know anyone from a previous cruise.  It helps with the PR and makes the passengers feel like homecoming when a employee recognizes them.  It doesn’t mean they all do that but the hosts in Michael’s, Luminae, and  Blu usually do.   If they don’t remember seeing our photos they will ask.  A  BT in Michael’s told us the same as we walked in, sat at the bar and ordered a drink.  She was the only one there and no one asked to see our card and we weren’t served by her before.  

I know 3 years sneak up very fast on my driver license renewal.  I needed  to use info off of it to file my tax return for security and seen that it has to be renewed this year.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

20 hours ago, Pickels said:

Even if you completed the app, and can see your express pass on your phone, the scanned passports will not appear on your phone; am I correct?

You are correct.   All it rally does is pull the information at the base of the picture page -  Name, DOB, Passport Number and Expiration Number --- the same you manually type in.  

1 hour ago, miched said:

A  host in Michael’s also told and showed us all the info that they have on the passengers that is used before the cruise.  They actually prescreen all the passengers checking to make sure there are no warrants for arrest and etc.

I seriously doubt that Celebrity or any other cruise line has access to US law enforcement databases to check for arrest warrants or any other information; they certainly don't have access to Canadian criminal justice and law enforcement records. The host in Michael's might have been confusing checks undertaken by Celebrity against its own databases for such things as blacklisted passengers with the screening of passenger manifests by US CBP. 

• Like 1