How much did you gain on your Celebrity cruise?

yvrbos

I know that cruising is a time to indulge and let go. That said, I am curious how much people gained during their cruise when they didn’t watch their calories and indulged in the amazing food found onboard!

Last time I cruised I gained about 5 pounds without watching what I ate.

Now we tend to stay about the same weight...On earlier cruises our weight gain would be similar to yours...

Firstly we board seeing nothing ‘out of bounds’ if we want an ice cream, a burger, a drink or three...we are on holiday and we will enjoy!

What we don’t do is have both a big breakfast and a big lunch...and some days we don’t have either big. Our food pleasure is our evening meal. Experience has taught us that you simply can’t enjoy three big meals a day without feeling uncomfortable and sluggish. Worse still the pleasure of the main meal of the day is severely compromised if you pig out at breakfast and lunch!

We will enjoy one or two full breakfasts and at lunchtime one or two days we will succumb to the buffet fish and chips or Indian selection but on other days we will breakfast on a croissant and a coffee and at lunch will enjoy a soup and salad...

At our evening meal we enjoy what we want but we don’t feel ‘obliged’ to empty the plates. We often skip dessert and enjoy a coffee and cognac...

We eat what we want, drink what we want but never feel obliged to eat and drink all that is on offer...

We are no longer at the stage in life where we can ‘use the stairs’ but on the flat we ensure we keep as physically active as we can on board and in port.

We do think that the Celebrity lunchtime buffet can often be the ‘overeating’ time/place for many guests as it is tempting and very easy to just keep adding bits on...This is not a criticism in any way of the buffet, but you do need to be selective of your choices...

Portion sizes in the restaurants I do think are generally good, it is that tempting self service buffet that I think is responsible for many guests taking home ‘excess personal baggage’...

8 minutes ago, chemmo said:

What we don’t do is have both a big breakfast and a big lunch...and some days we don’t have either big. Our food pleasure is our evening meal. Experience has taught us that you simply can’t enjoy three big meals a day without feeling uncomfortable and sluggish

Completely agree, I have to have a big breakfast tho, but its mostly all protein, 2-3 white egg omelet of ham and spinach and bacon mainly along with the roasted tomatoes or sauteed mushrooms if i can get them.  The full day is only grazing, some fruit or tuna/egg/chicken salad (no bread) to dinner and even then its only really eating the proteins and veggies.  Drinks usually good, maybe wine or bourbons but nothing crazy.  I do drink a ton of water or tea,  tea forte and have it over ice a cpl times a day.  

51 minutes ago, yvrbos said:

I know that cruising is a time to indulge and let go. That said, I am curious how much people gained during their cruise when they didn’t watch their calories and indulged in the amazing food found onboard!

Last time I cruised I gained about 5 pounds without watching what I ate.

I think I gained a pound or two, but I treat myself to lots of bread and butter that I do not have at home.  Otherwise, we ate pretty good.  Did drink more than normal too which are a lot of empty calories.

Have a great trip and enjoy the food onboard.  

I may weight a couple of pounds more when I get home but it’s usually from eating more sodium than usual and the weight is gone by the end of the week.   Well sodium and alcohol!  At home, I snack all through the day with no really big meal but on a cruise I generally stick to three meals.  Early in a cruise I’m loving breakfast including the usually off limits croissants, etc.  By mid-cruise I’m happy with something small in the morning.  We are usually not tempted by the desserts on the ship though every now and again one might appeal.  

We gained a wealth of experience, many fond memories, a few new friends, and about 5,000 photos. But we didn't gain weight, even though we ate and drank whatever we wanted. Since neither of us enjoys eating or drinking to excess, and because we were more active than we usually are at home, I actually dropped a couple of pounds.

I usually have a mid-morning breakfast, and if we have early dining, don't eat again until supper.  I could be a carboholic, but try to limit the bread and rolls.  The desserts don't interest me, tho I might have ice cream or sherbert.  My sister doesn't leave the cabin until after noon, so she has lunch and dinner.  We are both diabetic, so mindful of what we eat.  I usually lose weight due to all the walking we do, especially if our cabin is far forward and the MDR is aft...  We also take the stairs when possible (up two and down three).  We are both mid-70's.  My fitbit loves all the walking on the ship and in port.  And the stairs...  EM

I am an avid walker..walk about 35 miles a week so can pretty much eat whatever I want when I'm at home.  Of course, I don't eat three meals a day and have a cocktail every hour (give or take) when I'm at home either.  So I usually gain about 5 pounds on a cruise...it's a given because I don't deprive myself of anything that I want to eat.  When I get home and back into my routine, the weight falls off and usually a little more..ending in a net loss over all.  Every time I cruise, I promise myself that I'm going to get in my 5 mile walk but it rarely happens.  Wish I was in the "I don't gain anything" club but it's just not my reality no matter how many stairs I take.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I am an avid walker..walk about 35 miles a week so can pretty much eat whatever I want when I'm at home.  Of course, I don't eat three meals a day and have a cocktail every hour (give or take) when I'm at home either.  So I usually gain about 5 pounds on a cruise...it's a given because I don't deprive myself of anything that I want to eat.  When I get home and back into my routine, the weight falls off and usually a little more..ending in a net loss over all.  Every time I cruise, I promise myself that I'm going to get in my 5 mile walk but it rarely happens.  Wish I was in the "I don't gain anything" club but it's just not my reality no matter how many stairs I take.

Good philosophy.

We do also enjoy ourselves while on a cruise and enjoy the food and drinks onboard.

• Like 1

Our record was walking 17000 steps in a day in Quebec. I forgot the stair count but as we walked up from the harbor there was lots of vertical. We start the day working out followed by a light breakfast in the Ocean View Cafe. The cheat is dinner. Typically we come back 5 pounds lighter.

my weight stayed the same and Mrs M lost weight.... I pretty much avoided all the deserts in the OVC because I am type 2 diabetic.... but I gave into bacon and eggs most days for breakfast!

We walked around the ship every day and did walking on our excursions.

I was surprised I hadn't gained any weight though

hopefully will be the same in April on our Solstice cruise to the islands

2 hours ago, Life Buoy said:

I actually lost weight. Didn't have bread and pasta. Only used small plates in the buffet. 

I try not to gain on a cruise. Here are some rules that I follow.

1) 1 dessert a day (with dinner)

2) East salad bar or light lunch

3) On sea days go to fitness center or do a walk on deck

4) Minimize bread with meals.  Example, for breakfast have only one slice of toast, no danishes.

• Like 1

Ever notice that the "top spending cruiser" tends to be on the thinner side? They learn to pace themselves. I notice that some inexperienced  cruisers tend to fill their plates for the first few days? I guess they feel that since food is included in the price they get a better price per day if they consume more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1