Regent docks at Easter Island?

Nitrodog

When I asked the agent at Regent what percentage of the time they successfully tendered onto Easter Island I was told they didn't have to tender because the ship was small enough to dock. If I look at our itinerary it does not show an anchor  (depicting anchorage) at Easter Island. That said, I googled Easter Island and for the life of me I can not find any decent sized dock on the island. I just may have to speak with another agent for clarification.

Did this route in reverse in 2015 ( or 16) on Mariner from Papeete-Lima-BA. We tendered at Easter Island. I don’t think that there is a large deep dock there. 

If you do go to Easter Island I highly recommend you do a private tour with a local. We hooked up with 3 other couples from the CC roll call and booked private van in advance for the day. Was about $800.00 ($100 each). We saw more than all the Regent tours combined, plus lunch. 

Aside: we did a stop at Pitcairn. No ShoreEx, only a drive by. 

J

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

Did this route in reverse in 2015 ( or 16) on Mariner from Papeete-Lima-BA. We tendered at Easter Island. I don’t think that there is a large deep dock there. 

If you do go to Easter Island I highly recommend you do a private tour with a local. We hooked up with 3 other couples from the CC roll call and booked private van in advance for the day. Was about $800.00 ($100 each). We saw more than all the Regent tours combined, plus lunch. 

Aside: we did a stop at Pitcairn. No ShoreEx, only a drive by. 

J

We also did a private group tour and had a fabulous local tour guide. Highly recommend this approach but just remember that you won’t get all your money back if the captain decided he can’t safely use the tenders. I think if I remember correctly we had a 50% advanced deposit at risk. We weighed the pros and cons and decided it was worth the risk. 

• Like 1

Next year's World Cruise has one of their full-worlders special events on Rapa Nui on the first afternoon, and perhaps after sunset.  Then we're there overnight.  So I suspect that we'll stick with the shore excursions organized by the ship, especially since the second day we pull anchor at 4pm. 

If we get to land at all, of course.  I've always thought that the way to see Easter Island is to fly there from Chile.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer