Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Playin Pickleball

Noordam VA 4129 or VA 5097 or VB 5139

Recommended Posts

Seached every review and couldn't find for these rooms. Does anyone know if they have plexiglass wall on the balcony? Also, do they all have a small TV by the desk as opposed to across from the bed (we've only been on the Eurodam and it's big flatscreen is across from the bed). Any pictures of these rooms? Taking a cruise from Seward to BC in late June.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Playin Pickleball said:

Seached every review and couldn't find for these rooms. Does anyone know if they have plexiglass wall on the balcony? Also, do they all have a small TV by the desk as opposed to across from the bed (we've only been on the Eurodam and it's big flatscreen is across from the bed). Any pictures of these rooms? Taking a cruise from Seward to BC in late June.

 

Thanks.

No question, I would choose the larger balcony on Deck 4.  VA4129.  Yes it has plexiglas for great viewing from the balcony.  Have you looked at the halfacts.com website?  Look at similar cabins nearby.  I don’t know if the TV’s have been updated but I  think they should  have been updated in the last drydock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The highest cabin with the steel balcony is 4041. Way forward of where you are asking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5097 has a small balcony (just 4.5 ft deep), is over the lifeboats, and is right next to the glass elevator. Definitely would be my 3rd choice.

Edited by catl331

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. You've helped me choose a cabin. My husband liked 5097 because the room is a little bigger, but when he heard how small the balcony was, we decided to go with 4129, if it's still available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Playin Pickleball said:

My husband liked 5097 because the room is a little bigger

No it's not. Inside it is exactly the same size as 4129, but has only 60% as much balcony.

Edited by catl331

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't want 5097 because at least part of the balcony is visible to folks riding by on the adjacent glass elevator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, our agent sent us the sq ft for each cabin and it showed 5097 as being 194 sq ft and 4129 as 175 sq ft. I think those measurements include the balcony, so that's weird about 5097 showing up bigger if it has less balcony. 

 

Whatever, who knows if any of them will be available by the time our agent changes our reso. But we have some more data to go by.

 

P.S. I remember a lot of people not liking certain balconies because you see the lifeboats. Personally, when we cruised on the Eurodam, to the right and below us were lifeboats and it didn't bother us at all. We could still see plenty of ocean, coastline, and scenery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't go by the numbers that a TA gives you because they simply say what HAL gives them ... which are the "standard" numbers for the cabin class.   On Vista ships most side VA to VF balconies are 21.5 ft by 9 ft (193.5 sqft) inside and have a 6 ft by 9 ft balcony, for 247.5 total. (And yes, the numbers HAL quotes includes the balconies).  The side VA to VF on deck 4 have an extra 1.5 ft depth of balcony.  The mid-ship VA 5053 to 5138 balconies are shortened by 1.5 ft because of the lifeboats. The only place you will find a "standard" VA are the eight on deck 8 that are not on the angles (8031/8032).  

 

So the true numbers (including the balconies) are 234 for 5097 and 261 for 4129. You made the right choice IMO. 😁

 

p.s. - what cabin did you have on the Eurodam? If it was a side VB to VD on decks 6 or 7 you had a standard Veranda. If it was a VA on deck 8 your balcony was 7 ft deep.

Edited by catl331

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a thought: I wonder if your TA was trying to steer you to the higher priced VA5097 rather the cheaper VB4129?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, catl331 said:

I just had a thought: I wonder if your TA was trying to steer you to the higher priced VA5097 rather the cheaper VB4129?

 

No,  I don't think so. Couple of reasons. First it's VA 4129, just like it's VA 5097 (same price).  Second, she gave us choices in 3 different price categories, most of which (14 out of 21) were in the $400 less category. But we apparently live by the motto, 'why pay less?'

Edited by Playin Pickleball
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Playin Pickleball said:

First it's VA 4129,

You're right --- I looked at 4139. 

 

I disagree with HAL calling those mid-ship deck 5 cabins VA.  Back maybe 6 or so years ago they were all VE and VF, and a very good deal. The VA's were up on decks 7 & 8 because people used to think higher was better.  Then HAL did a mass re-categorization across the fleet and swapped them around. 🙁

Edited by catl331

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 9:27 AM, catl331 said:

You can't go by the numbers that a TA gives you because they simply say what HAL gives them ... which are the "standard" numbers for the cabin class.   On Vista ships most side VA to VF balconies are 21.5 ft by 9 ft (193.5 sqft) inside and have a 6 ft by 9 ft balcony, for 247.5 total. (And yes, the numbers HAL quotes includes the balconies).  The side VA to VF on deck 4 have an extra 1.5 ft depth of balcony.  The mid-ship VA 5053 to 5138 balconies are shortened by 1.5 ft because of the lifeboats. The only place you will find a "standard" VA are the eight on deck 8 that are not on the angles (8031/8032).  

 

So the true numbers (including the balconies) are 234 for 5097 and 261 for 4129. You made the right choice IMO. 😁

 

p.s. - what cabin did you have on the Eurodam? If it was a side VB to VD on decks 6 or 7 you had a standard Veranda. If it was a VA on deck 8 your balcony was 7 ft deep.

We had VB 4136.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Playin Pickleball said:

We had VB 4136.

Okay, then you'll have the same size room and balcony in Noordam 4129, but it will be the mirror image - bed on the left side as you enter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...