Hi NCL. You read here. Get things straight with the Dining Package terms

PortFees45

This isn't a difficult thing to get everyone on the same page about. 

Stop having your waiters hassle people in specialty restaurants with the false claim the dining package limits you to an app, a main and a dessert. 

It's not in the T&C's, and you're only doing it in the hopes enough timid and/or uninformed passengers go along with it to save you the extra bowl of soup. 

Send an email to all your Food & Beverage Directors fleet-wide. Then at the next all-hands meeting with waitstaff, or in a subsequent message to restaurant managers, make it clear there's no limit on multiple apps unless or until the written dining package T&C changes. Platinum vouchers are different, but it's not difficult for the hostess to clearly indicate to the waiter if a party is platinum vs. dining package. 

It's gotten out of hand. Stop it. 

• Like 16

I believed the wait staff on our cruise last September.  We were told four items maximum.   Since I wanted soup, appetizer, and salad, I went without desert.  Thanks to my fellow cruisers I will partake of all, on our cruise this May.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Will be on Escape next Saturday and I can't wait to pull out my T&C if/when we get told about the bogus single app, main, dessert business.  Am so glad you posted this.  Will they listen?  Hope so.

Printed out on 3x5 cards 😄

The T&C's on NCL.com give this quote for the specialty dining package. Is this the same as what you will pull out?

"Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu."

It makes no note on how many apps, desserts etc you can have and it seems to say you can have more than one main course at other restaurants other than Cagney'sand Le Bistro.

• Like 2

Dear Legal Department,

Please change the T&C for the dining packages to clearly indicate one app, one main and one dessert at all venues. 

Regards,

Louis Tully

V.P. Accounting

🤑

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Escape went out of their way to make sure we knew we could get every course on our cruise at the beginning of this month.  They even asked at the Italian place if we wanted to take the pizza back to our room since we said we would skip that course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, equinelady said:

I believed the wait staff on our cruise last September.  We were told four items maximum.   Since I wanted soup, appetizer, and salad, I went without desert.  Thanks to my fellow cruisers I will partake of all, on our cruise this May.   

It’s four items at Food Republic, the sushi restaurant and some other one I have not heard of. I just read the terms and conditions. So your wait staff really did not know how it works!

• Thanks 1

Sometimes, I wonder if these are managerial direction, training, coaching and/or line supervision issues, with wide variances among different ships in the fleet - up and down the chains of command.   For our (in)conveninence, of course.  Another thread/post today about one of the ship still using "older" voucher/coupon that stated $20 as the limit for entrees w/o an upgrade ... or covered up the amount with a tiny label for corrections.  

Last Spring on the Dawn, there're 6 of us- we had our P/+ vouchers, 2 with SDP and 2 paying a la carte prices.  LeBistro waiter said the SDP gets to select 2 starter items (only) + entree (+ any applicable up-charge) + dessert; but the vouchers get 1+1+1 only; and, of course, #5 and #6 can order whatever as it's billed (we used our OBC to offset it, not a big deal).  It wasn't as many appetizers or multiple starter ... but, whatever. 

I once said, half joking to the waiter on a different sailing/ship, that don't worry - we came from the MDR and had our share of unlimited starters already.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Dear Legal Department,

Please change the T&C for the dining packages to clearly indicate one app, one main and one dessert at all venues. 

Regards,

Louis Tully

V.P. Accounting

🤑

"For the convenience of the passengers" needs to be added somewhere in there

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

"For the convenience of the passengers" needs to be added somewhere in there

I think that should be " FOR THE CONVENIENCE OF THE GUESTS" (why of course) !

Passengers went the way of the carrier passenger pigeon aka dodo bird the upscale terminology today is guests.

In addition one should not be required to bring the 747 page fine print Oxford English Dictionary to explain

to the wait staff what the heck the guest menu selections which are applicable and not.

Basically a meal is composed of -1- Entrée and Assorted sides apps deserts.

Most civilized guests are not going to pig themselves out on multiple sides and apps - deserts are another thing !  LOL !

If you take a tour of the MDRs galley enough food is made to accommodate both of these and on some ships

also a specialty restaurant or two. No one goes hungry and I doubt that the crew is going hungry from leftovers ! 

Now about those lima beans and the suffering succotash that is another issue ! LOL !  

I’m an operations manager for a large retail company. My take on all these issues is that not everyone is being trained the same way and for a corporation as large as NCL, that is a big mistake. I really wish they would hire me! 🤣 I would whip everyone into shape. 

• Like 4

Sometimes if you ask nicely they will accommodate you.  With our platinum dinner on NCL Sun last year in Le Bistro we asked the waiter if we can have the soup instead of dessert.  He asked his manager and was told yes.  Then after the main course we were surprised when the waiter brought us the dessert menu and said we should order it too.

Edited by EllieinNJ

7 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I’m an operations manager for a large retail company. My take on all these issues is that not everyone is being trained the same way and for a corporation as large as NCL, that is a big mistake. I really wish they would hire me! 🤣 I would whip everyone into shape. 

That would be great ...if only!!!

Meanwhile, perhaps all are trained that they are "Free to do Whatever"! 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Dear Legal Department,

Regards,

Louis Tully

V.P. Accounting

🤑

Yep - if anything were to happen, the above is it.

11 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

And please stop adding upcharges to items.  We now have crabcakes, tiger shrimp, surf and turf and tomohawk steaks with upcharges on the Cagney's menu.

LOL.  That will never happen on the cruise line who's core competency is finding more ways to nickle and dime their guests.  When you consider that specialty dining is itself an upcharge, NCL is upcharging the upcharge.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oteixeira said:

The Escape went out of their way to make sure we knew we could get every course on our cruise at the beginning of this month.  They even asked at the Italian place if we wanted to take the pizza back to our room since we said we would skip that course.

Didn't know that the pizza was considered a course.  So to clarify, at La Cucina you can get apps, salad, pizza, entre, and dessert?

I think that part of the confusion results from the restriction on Latitudes Platinum free dinners in most applicable restaurants to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert.  

Edited by FLAHAM
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Dear Legal Department,

Regards,

Louis Tully

V.P. Accounting

🤑

That’s more likely than the alternative.

From various comments here over the past few years about how the wait staff explained the limits, and how they tend to back down if challenged, I think there are F&B Directors or someone else in management that decided to try to save some food budget $$ by imposing their own limits. They know most people don't read these boards or even feel comfortable challenging the limits or asking for a manager. It must be saving $$$ or they would stop trying.

I think we can all agree here that the extra money for extra apps or sides is not an issue.  The real problem here is that most people(myself at the top of the list) do not want to argue or even bring up the fact about the terms and conditions about not being charged.  This is the last thing that I want to have to bother with or even worry about when I am going to dinner on vacation.  I want my server to be part of an enjoyable dining experience.  The way things are now just cheapens the experience.  

I was the one in September that was actually charged extra for an app.  I was told only one and that I would be charged for any extras.  I just said OK, like I always do(and have never been charged if I do order extra) and when the bill came I just payed it as it was my anniversary dinner with my wife.  The next day though I let the F&B director have it as I showed my displeasure.  I was told in a light hearted way that if someone states the T&C that they are never charged.  This enraged me even more.  So basically I was told in not so many words that the staff are trained to "steal" as much money as they can from the guests who do not bring up the T&C.  

It is these little things that have people more and more upset with NCL everyday.  

• Like 5

Yes, the food and beverage manager or director.  He saw that I was upset with his answer and offered me wine and strawberries to be sent to my room.  I declined.  I just wish that there was not the deception.  Like others have said, put it in the T&C and charge for extras(which is fine) or do not bring it up that you will be charged for extras and potentially ruin a nice meal.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Sometimes, I wonder if these are managerial direction, training, coaching and/or line supervision issues, with wide variances among different ships in the fleet - up and down the chains of command.   For our (in)conveninence, of course.  Another thread/post today about one of the ship still using "older" voucher/coupon that stated $20 as the limit for entrees w/o an upgrade ... or covered up the amount with a tiny label for corrections.  

Last Spring on the Dawn, there're 6 of us- we had our P/+ vouchers, 2 with SDP and 2 paying a la carte prices.  LeBistro waiter said the SDP gets to select 2 starter items (only) + entree (+ any applicable up-charge) + dessert; but the vouchers get 1+1+1 only; and, of course, #5 and #6 can order whatever as it's billed (we used our OBC to offset it, not a big deal).  It wasn't as many appetizers or multiple starter ... but, whatever. 

I once said, half joking to the waiter on a different sailing/ship, that don't worry - we came from the MDR and had our share of unlimited starters already.  

My take, which I've said before, if you read job descriptions of many staff and the management include several lines of "..managing food costs..."  I'm only guessing here, but someone took it upon themselves to figure, heck, let's just limit the amount of things they can order.  It later got picked up by other employees so now that is what onboard management tells the servers is my guess.

Like others posted, I have little desire while on VACATION to have to argue with staff about fake limitations.  I've had to do it at times and it makes a takes you from enjoying the time together to being aggravated by fake rules.

• Like 1