Premium package, no premium drinks!

jomf

We are currently onboard the Ruby. We have the premium drinks package but have found that we are being served a cheap version of Baileys. The Baileys bottle is on show at the bar but they pour from a cheap version. When we questioned the taste they admitted it was not Baileys as there was none on the ship! 

Is this the norm? If you ask for a premium brand rum, whiskey etc is that what you get?

I have only seen one type of Baileys sold in the US and that is what the ship has aboard.  If they were out of Baileys they should have told you that they used a substitute before pouring it.  I have been aboard (TA mostly) where they have run out of certain types of liquor, wine and beer.  The bartender would tell us that they had run out before pouring a substitute.  

The way the OP posted it sounded like they poured from a Baileys bottle that had something else in it which is a major violation at least here in the US.  That can get a bar in serious legal trouble and why they always scrape the label on all empty bottles before throwing them away.

They pour from a different bottle, which is a cheap version. They didn’t tell us that it was not proper Baileys until we asked. We can tell the difference! 
There is no Baileys onboard. 
now they have run out of our favourite wine as well. 

• Like 1

Ask to speak with the Beverage Manager and lodge a (polite and civil) complaint. I have no issue with being served a substitute brand but you should have been informed that they were out of Bailey's and the would have to serve a different brand of creme liquor. That way you would have the choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jomf said:

They pour from a different bottle, which is a cheap version. They didn’t tell us that it was not proper Baileys until we asked. We can tell the difference! 

I would be a little suspicious about the statement that there is no Baileys on board.

Thrak made a good suggestion.

I would also recommend that you try a few other bars on the ship.  I have seen cases where they might be waiting for restocking. Perhaps you were in a bar with a lazy bartender, who did not want to be bothered. If you have the drink package, just order a Bailey’s at some of the different bars and watch what they pour.

Good luck

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jomf said:

You should be angry!  Please voice your concerns. 

Supply issues do happen.   If the local supplier did not meet the ship's order or if there was a "run" on a particular item they may run out.   Also, they may have a case of something in the storage room that hasn't been opened and distributed yet.  I've seen items restock mid cruise once they work their way thru the new stock and get to that box.   

BUT - I've never seen empty bottles sitting on display - that seems odd to me.   Whenever I've seen a bartender empty a bottle I've seen them take it in the back and get out a new bottle.   They have no space for empties!    What bar has the empty bottles on display?

I have seen that Princess does carry two brands of Irish Cream - some bars carry Bailey's and others carry the other brand (I can't recall the name right now).    When I've asked for a "Bailey's" they will pour from whatever Irish Cream they have at that bar.  

I would try another bar or another bartender.   Ask first if they have "Baileys" specifically before you order.  

• Like 3

I thinking the brand of Irish Cream on Princess is now 'Brogans', I think the label resembles Bailey's which is why I think many think it is Bailey's. I remember a few years ago a friend mentioned he was expecting Baileys but was served Brogans.

This has been my experience for at least the last year. It is very apparent on the days where they try to sell the souvenir glass with the shot of Irish creme.

if anyone currently on ship would post the bar menu, I believe it says Irish Creme, not Baileys.

20 hours ago, wallyj said:

I thinking the brand of Irish Cream on Princess is now 'Brogans', I think the label resembles Bailey's which is why I think many think it is Bailey's. I remember a few years ago a friend mentioned he was expecting Baileys but was served Brogans.

This has been my experience for at least the last year. It is very apparent on the days where they try to sell the souvenir glass with the shot of Irish creme.

if anyone currently on ship would post the bar menu, I believe it says Irish Creme, not Baileys.

The menu definitely says Baileys. Last night Baileys was available in one bar. Brogans gives me a headache, Baileys does not. 

I understand that Princess can run out of a product, the annoying part is that they didn’t tell us what they were serving to us. Honesty goes a long way!

On 2/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, jomf said:

We are currently onboard the Ruby. We have the premium drinks package but have found that we are being served a cheap version of Baileys. The Baileys bottle is on show at the bar but they pour from a cheap version. When we questioned the taste they admitted it was not Baileys as there was none on the ship! 

Is this the norm? If you ask for a premium brand rum, whiskey etc is that what you get?

If they have it, you can ask for it. I am sure the "cheaper" version of all liquor is what Princess prefers to serve. We always request the brand. If I want a vodka soda, I ask for Grey Goose Soda. If I want bourbon, I ask for Blantons... Just kidding. 

I don't let them serve the cheap stuff, because they will if you don't specify. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jomf said:

The menu definitely says Baileys. Last night Baileys was available in one bar. Brogans gives me a headache, Baileys does not. 

I understand that Princess can run out of a product, the annoying part is that they didn’t tell us what they were serving to us. Honesty goes a long way!

It is clear whoever told you that Princess did not have any Baileys on board was wrong or misunderstood.

If you found it at one bar, I suspect it is also available at other bars.  Obviously not every bar.  

Good to hear that you found it and that you were able to enjoy your Baileys.  As long as you feel that someone was trying to cheat you, it is probably not as enjoyable.  Perhaps if you submit a comment card, Princess will investigate the situation and then get back to you with a better explanation.  If I was in charge at Princess, I would investigate the situation.  Depending on what I found, I would give you a bottle of Baileys to enjoy in your cabin with an apology.

I wasn't aware baileys was a premium liquor, but that aside. Well drinks are well drinks. They pour the house liquor. That goes in any bar. If you request a specific brand and they have it and its a well class, they should pour it.(Note I used baileys with a small b. Its sorta like kleenex) A premium Irish Cream is a blended drink not a pre-mixed liqueur. (once you have had the real thing you will never go back.) Not trying to be snobbish, that's just the way the beverage business works.

Edited by TNTLAMB

On 2/20/2020 at 12:59 AM, jomf said:

Do you know if they have the wine package on board the Sky?

Edited by getaway101