Anyone else considering not cruising/traveling for the time being? ?

Crusinsusan2

2 hours ago, Woofbite said:

No changes.  Wouldn't plan a trip to Asia at the moment. 

Figure the flu at home is more dangerous and far more likely than the Coronavirus.

Leave for the Caribbean in two days, Scotland in two months and South America in November.

No worries.

I will be following on your heels!  Those are my exact plans also except instead of Caribbean I will be spending some time down on the Texas coast in a week or so (bird watching)

Edited by Mary229

Traveling the Mediterranean Empires cruise in May, which visits Istanbul and Ephesus located in Asia minor. Upgraded our insurance to “cancel for any reason” for peace of mind and monitoring the news, but we are all systems go. I will say that there is a lot of false information that I’ve seen in the news about the virus over the last two weeks and I don’t want to be a victim to fear mongering. Also booked a Mediterranean cruise on the Ryndam for next year on the 10-night piece of the maiden voyage. So far, it’s not stopping us.   

We are travelling as well.  Just not to Asia but that wasnt' really on our horizon for this year anyway.  We are going to be in Disney World next month for our daughter's 13th Birthday, in June we had Boston/Cape Cod planned for a week and just this morning added a cruise from Boston to Montreal for DH and I and then in December we will be cruising the Mexican Riviera for my 50th birthday.  

I'll admit, Disney World has me a bit worried but that place is a petri dish on a good day anyway.  We go with the "touch nothing and wash your hands constantly" mentality.

I answered earlier about my plans but I think what would deter me from cruising, specifically, is if countries continue to quarantine or turn away ships.  It is not fear of disease as much as fear of reprisals and hysteria

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/st-lucia-turns-away-cruise-ship-coronavirus

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/02/09/coronavirus-royal-caribbean-passengers-test-negative-new-jersey/4707047002/

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

We are not so much concerned about our personal health but the thought of being held virtually hostage in situations that are beyond our control has definitely given us pause...

What happened with the quarantine on the Diamond Princess makes me rethink room choice: interior/ocean view VS. balcony.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, colbe said:

Why not Australia and New Zealand?

I'm wondering the same thing.

We have 4 cruises booked for this year and 2 so far for next year and have no plans to cancel.  None of them are to Asia, that has never been on my bucket list anyway.  But our next one is Australia-NZ-South Pacific-Vancouver and I'm not worried at all.  I plan to do as I always do to try to stay healthy while traveling.

• Like 2

As a North American, my impression is there is a fair amount of tourism and business traffic between Australia and Southeast Asia, especially Singapore. I may be misinformed, but that was the conscious decision I made. Like others in this thread, I’m most concerned about disruption and quarantine and the stress on my worry wart 85 year old mother, though I also have a lot of respect for the risks of catching the disease if that low probability-high consequence event happens!

Edited by Mike B Landlubber
  • Thanks 1

No change for us,we'llbe flying into Sydney Australia on the 17th March and cruising back to Vancouver  on the Noordam.My wife startedvher packing routine today, she'll repepack a tleast five times before we leave. It's become a routine for her and part of the anticipation of the cruise.

• Like 2

So far, I see no reason to cancel our cruise in April.  We have a great land adventure planned after that I have put a fair amount of time into.

If I thought our health was truly at risk that would be different.  I don’t feel that’s the case currently.  Of course we are watching but I’m not allowed to let fear or panic take over   Needless to say we are not heading to Asia on this one 😉 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

So far, I see no reason to cancel our cruise in April.  We have a great land adventure planned after that I have put a fair amount of time into.

If I thought our health was truly at risk that would be different.  I don’t feel that’s the case currently.  Of course we are watching but I’m not allowed to let fear or panic take over   Needless to say we are not heading to Asia on this one 😉 

I also agree with Jacqui! We leave 3/11 and have 2 more cruises back to back in April. I too won’t get wrapped up in fear but will be vigilant. We will be no where near Asia.

Denise😊

• Like 1

We are planning on our June and September cruises both to Europe.  Are also leaving for South America in 2 weeks for a land tour.  I will pack extra hand sanitizers for SA and we will wash, wash, our hands.  Also will keep any eye and ear out for any changes in coronavirus situation.   I am actually more concerned about mosquitoes bites in Peru than the virus right now!!  Deet is packed.🙄

Flying to Iceland in three weeks. Then have two cruises booked, one in May to Alaska and a transatlantic from Barcelona in October.  Will definitely be packing extra packages of clorox wipes.  And, although I know it’s developed for specific strains, I’m hoping my flu hope gives me a little extra protection.

Our trip on Nieuw Statendam for next month is still going forward and we can’t wait.  No worries at all.  

We had planned to go to Egypt later this year until the bombing of the Iranian general got us a bit worried about the Middle East. We had then thought about going back to China as a replacement but coronavirus put an end to that idea as well. As such we will be spending our anniversary in Barcelona this October with a short MSC cruise in the middle of the trip.  

1 hour ago, Bostonjetset said:

Our trip on Nieuw Statendam for next month is still going forward and we can’t wait.  No worries at all.  

We had planned to go to Egypt later this year until the bombing of the Iranian general got us a bit worried about the Middle East. We had then thought about going back to China as a replacement but coronavirus put an end to that idea as well. As such we will be spending our anniversary in Barcelona this October with a short MSC cruise in the middle of the trip.  

The Middle East is always going to be a tinderbox. Been several times including 2x in Egypt shorly after major "events". Go when you can and can accept the risk factor. Abu Simbel, Luxor, Petra - all beyond imagination.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Queen of DaNile said:

The Middle East is always going to be a tinderbox. Been several times including 2x in Egypt shorly after major "events". Go when you can and can accept the risk factor. Abu Simbel, Luxor, Petra - all beyond imagination.

I agree with you but this trip was originally planned with 2 other couples who are somewhat more nervous travelers so we agreed to postpone; we will get there eventually. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Leave for a Panama Canal cruise on the Rotterdam this Monday.  I think we received a nice upgrade because others canceled. So if we wind up being quarantined,  at least we will have a balcony! (Bright side?)

This happened to us on our Nieuw Statendam cruise also.  The balconies went down to what we paid for an inside so we got a nice upgrade.  I, too, wonder if the coronavirus has impacted reservations even outside of Asia.  Enjoy the Panama Canal!  That is one I've been longing to do for a while.

We are currently into week four of an eight week independent tour of Mexico.  We have a  two month trip tentatively planned for Morocco, Spain, Portugal in the fall.  Next winter we are planning to get back to Thailand for a month, then Oz/NZ for the second month.  Plus some last minutes in between.

No cruises planned but who knows.  We tend to cherry pick last minute opportunities.

No point in staying home.  I suspect that our chances of being hit by a bus or struck by lightening at home are higher than getting CV and falling off our perch while travelling.  We get our free flu shot at Costco each Nov. and we are good to go.

Why stay home? 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Ever since my husband's 3 heart attacks and subsequent sextuple bypass, we stopped playing the "what if" game.  Life is too short to worry about unpredictables. We book our cruises, enjoy every moment of them, and then book more. 

We've lost lots of friends and family at very young ages, so we try to honour them by remembering and toasting to them in our travels.  We take precautions as needed, but aren't frightened to the point of cancelling cruises or vacations.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 14