Anyone else considering not cruising/traveling for the time being? ?

Crusinsusan2

Despite the spread of CoVid-19 in Europe, especially in Italy, HOLLAND AMERICA has not changed any of their itineraries! We are booked on Zuiderdam, April 19, 2020,  sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We have 3 ports of call in Italy: Civitavecchia (Rome), Salerno, and Venice. What in the world are they thinking? What do we do?

We planned this cruise almost a year ahead and I've wanted to go for 40 years. This will/would be our 50th anniversary trip, and I had major surgery so I'd be fit as possible, but we are both over 70 years of age, one with lung weaknesses and the other diabetic. Sadly, we paid in full back in January, 2020, way before Coronavirus. We wanted to cancel and recoup losses. probably re-book later, but today we were told by HAL that we can only get 50% of our cruise refunded! By Sunday March 8, we would only receive 25% of the money refunded. By March 29, ZERO refunded unless we have a fever on embarkation day. REALLY? Our friends are booked on VIKING and they were offered cruise credit for the ENTIRE AMOUNT. This would have been our first HAL cruise. We don't know whether to risk our lives on this cruise or take the 50%  now offered. It's do or die... maybe die. We have trip and medical insurance through Generali  but we haven't heard back. We're in a queue for a call back from them.  Anybody else in the same boat?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zltm089 said:

Following this thread.

I'm also on the fence and not sure if I should book my Alaska cruise. I'm not bothered with the virus itself but more about quarantined, cancellations, delays and closures etc. How how cruise companies are treating their customers with regards to refunds and compensation. 

We are of the same opinion.  We are healthy so catching the virus isn't the main concern for us.  We are going on our cruise to have a wonderful vacation and to enjoy the experience.  Cancelled ports, quarantine concerns, delays, and closures will affect the enjoyment of the cruise.  There are so many other options that are significantly less risky in these regards.

Edited by cbr663
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bondigirl1 said:

Despite the spread of CoVid-19 in Europe, especially in Italy, HOLLAND AMERICA has not changed any of their itineraries! We are booked on Zuiderdam, April 19, 2020,  sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We have 3 ports of call in Italy: Civitavecchia (Rome), Salerno, and Venice. What in the world are they thinking? What do we do?

We planned this cruise almost a year ahead and I've wanted to go for 40 years. This will/would be our 50th anniversary trip, and I had major surgery so I'd be fit as possible, but we are both over 70 years of age, one with lung weaknesses and the other diabetic. Sadly, we paid in full back in January, 2020, way before Coronavirus. We wanted to cancel and recoup losses. probably re-book later, but today we were told by HAL that we can only get 50% of our cruise refunded! By Sunday March 8, we would only receive 25% of the money refunded. By March 29, ZERO refunded unless we have a fever on embarkation day. REALLY? Our friends are booked on VIKING and they were offered cruise credit for the ENTIRE AMOUNT. This would have been our first HAL cruise. We don't know whether to risk our lives on this cruise or take the 50%  now offered. It's do or die... maybe die. We have trip and medical insurance through Generali  but we haven't heard back. We're in a queue for a call back from them.  Anybody else in the same boat?

See post #163 in this thread.  It may have some information that is helpful to you.

30 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

Cancelled ports, quarantine concerns, delays, and closures will affect the enjoyment of the cruise.  There are so many other options that are significantly less risky in these regards.

I agree regarding the concerns about port closures, re-routing, and potential quarantine.

Just out of curiosity, what other options are you looking at?  I feel that land travel to places of interest, especially where flying is involved (and for me it would be involved) is equally risky.

For example.... I took a long planned trip to Naples Italy, departing mid-February.  When I arrived there was no issue with coronavirus. By the time I left for home, 10 days later, the coronavirus in NE Italy (nowhere near me) had blown up and on the actual day I returned my company issued a "no business travel" to Italy and I was asked to work from home for the next 14 days.

While this poses no real hardship for me, I feel that I dodged a bullet. 

I do have more travel planned later in 2020 and as of now I am not planning to avoid it. But I am curious what kinds of "other plans" folks are making or considering?

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/world-health-organisation-chief-warning-elderly-crowded-places-2005411

I am concerned regarding  the implication of WHO’s recent recommendations for over 60.  

Thanks for this link.   I am forwarding it to my travel partners.  It makes me feel a lot less foolish 

26 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I do have more travel planned later in 2020 and as of now I am not planning to avoid it. But I am curious what kinds of "other plans" folks are making or considering?

I had already cancelled a Pacific Coastal cruise but now I have also cancelled Seattle.  Still waiting to hear if my husband’s business travel to Seattle will be cancelled.  I don’t need him bringing back anything.  I am hesitating on two others which involve flights but no cruises.  I have regular business travel this month which I don’t plan on cancelling.  Anything after that I will have to see.

Oh and, so far, I have no plans to cancel Antarctica this winter.

Edited by *Miss G*

On a cruise ship now (Oosterdam)  interesting to see all of the extra cleaning constantly going on. The little shuttle used to take passengers from the ship to the end of the pier is wiped down after each set of passengers disembark.

Next cruise is a TA from NY to Ireland...NOT planning on cancelling 

• Like 1

We have two cruises booked in the fall.  Will have to decided before final payment-all is refundable right now.  

I was wanting to go on the Maasdam with friends plus a Celebrity 11 day cruise-both in April and May but chose not to.  I’m disappointed but concerned with this virus and being stuck on a ship in quarantine.  Just hoping the cruises later on this year will be ok.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what risk they are willing to take and a lot depends on their health history.

2 hours ago, Bondigirl1 said:

We are in the same boat as you, on the same ship and date!  I called our Agent to see if we could switch to next years Zuiderdam TA, but was told that is considered a cancellation and we would lose a lot of money.  We were going to stay in Rome a few days then make are way by train to Calais then on to stay in UK visiting my relatives and take the QM2 home.  We don’t fly due to various reasons and don’t want to be stuck anywhere, wish we could find a solution.

2 hours ago, Bondigirl1 said:

I signed up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) with the US Embassy in Rome a few 
weeks ago. They just sent me this notice today,  March 4, 2020: 

Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 03:27:34 PM MST
Subject: Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy March 4, 2020 
Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy March 4, 2020

Event:  The Government of Italy has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine
         measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.  As of 12:00 AM March 3, all 
         passengers on U.S.-bound flights whose temperature is higher than 99.5 degrees 
         Fahrenheit are not being permitted to board.  Travelers should be prepared for
         additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance 
         notice. Visit the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for additional
         information on these new measures.  Travelers who are not permitted to board 
         should follow the instructions of the Italian authorities.
Actions to Take:
         Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on the disease. 
         For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19,
         please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. 
Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding
         foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts. 
Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your
         travel plans and/or restrictions.
         Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Italy.
         Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel
         restrictions affecting travel to the U.S. 
         Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar
         symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six
         weeks.  
         Review the Italian National Institute of Health’s website (available only 
         in Italian).
         Call Italy’s 112 emergency number or 1500 if you believe you have symptoms 
         and are currently in Italy. English speaking operators are available.
Assistance:
         U.S. Embassy Rome, Italy 
         By Phone:   +39 06-4674-1
         USCitizensRome@state.gov
        https://it.usembassy.gov/
         State Department - Consular Affairs
         By Phone: +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
         Italy Country Information
         Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
         Follow us on Facebook and Twitter 

3 hours ago, Bondigirl1 said:

We are in the same situation, same ship but leaving the ship in Rome rather than Venice.  I also called HAL and had my travel agent also call HAL and got a similar response.  We would only be permitted to rebook if we booked another cruise leaving in the same time frame (April) as the current cruise and we are unwilling to book another cruise in the time frame where Covid 19 seems to be expanding in Europe and North America.  Generali Insurance was no help since you are only permitted to cancel for specified reasons such as sickness, injury, etc.  The fact that you want to avoid sickness is not a covered condition.  We are both in our mid 70s and looking at the mortality rate of Covid 19 for people in there 70s (8.0%)is very disconcerting - even worse for people in their 80s (14.8%).  Those figures came from a WHO report issued on Feb 28.

We are disappointed that HAL is not addressing the situation (they certainly must know the demographics of their customers) and forcing us to make a decision to cancel for a 50% refund.  Since our plans were to remain in Italy (Tuscany) for a week and fly back from Rome we are fearful about exposure to the virus during the prolonged stay.  Italy has now closed all schools and universities to try and get a better handle on the virus and passengers flying back to the US from an Italian airport will not be permitted to board if they show any signs of a fever.  For these reasons we have just asked our travel agent to cancel our booking.  We do not like to lose the 50% and we do not like to lose the fun we planned on having, but the risks just seem to great for the money that we will lose.

• Like 2

Despite the spread of Covid-19 in Europe, especially in Italy, HOLLAND AMERICA has not changed any of their itineraries! We are booked on Zuiderdam, April 19, 2020,  sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We have 3 ports of call in Italy: Civitavercchia (Rome), Salerno, and Venice. What in the world are they thinking? What do we do?

We planned this cruise almost a year ahead. It's our 50th anniversary trip. I had major surgery so I'd be fit. We are both over 70 years of age, one with lung weaknesses and the other is diabetic. We wanted to cancel and re-book later.Today we were told that we can only get 50% of our cruise refunded! By Sunday March 8, we would only receive 25% of the money refunded. By March 29, ZERO refunded unless we have a fever on embarkation day. REALLY? Our friends are booked on VIKING and they were offered cruise credit for the ENTIRE AMOUNT. This would have been our first HAL cruise. We don't know whether to risk our lives on this cruise or take the 50%  now offered. We have trip insurance but we haven't heard back. We're in a queue for a call back. Anybody else in the same boat?

TexasSteve, We heard from a virologist and will bite the bullet too, just let them keep half our fare. But after this disaster I will never cruise HAL. We would have re-booked after the danger is over. Viking is issuing vouchers. We are over 70 and made a huge hole in our retirement for this cruise but it's not worth dying earlier than we have to. Read on...  

A molecular virologist's advice with suggestions for protection here at home in the USA...

Dear Family and Friends, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!
What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs). The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. Good luck to all of us,

James Robb, MD FCAP

• Thanks 1

I nearly booked cheap Mexico or Hawaii cruises on NCL leaving this month, but after reading about the Grand Princess stuck outside SF until the entire ship is tested (and likely quarantined), I'm not going to risk getting stuck on a ship with infected people. That's especially true since the infection started on the previous cruise to Mexico, so infected passengers went not only to Mexico, but also Hawaii. There were also 60 or so passengers doing a Mexico-Hawaii back-to-back, thus ensuring that the virus spread to the next group of passengers (along with infected crew). I also don't want to deal with all the hassle and hysteria, particularly on the Pacific Coastal cruises I usually do usually have large crowds of ethnic Chinese from Vancouver, so everyone will get suspicious anytime any passenger coughs or sneezes. Then there's the airports and shuttles and planes to get to a cruise, also with hundreds of strangers in close physical proximity. For the Alaska season, the virus has been spreading for weeks in the Seattle area, and Vancouver has 12 cases and a large population of Chinese and Iranian immigrants, so I'd rather stay home and safe and not spend money on travel, particularly after significant investment losses. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

We are booked on a Transatlantic/Baltic later this year, 29 days with our kids. As of today, we are pretty sure we are going to cancel and try and do what we can by land. Our final payment isn't until May 8 though so will wait until then to cancel. My husband has long service leave, we have booked our two kids out of school for the term and we have basically spent $30k, mostly non refundable either side of the cruise. Our back up plan is this: Syd-Lon-Copehagen (supposed to start cruise here)- fly Reykjavik-fly Toronto - drive to Nova Scotia - friend's lake house in Nova Scotia for the remainder of our cruise time - drive Boston (where cruise was meant to end) and then pick up our NYC-SFO itinerary. We are putting the cruise refund  aside for a Baltic & Norway cruise in 2 years.

That is of course if they let us out of Australia 😅

Edited by shudie

Unfortunately i am postponing a land tour to Italy I had scheduled for May of this year.  I have planned this trip for 5 years, but with this virus in Italy, I don’t want to have limitations on my trip such as things closed down, not able to go here or there or being quarantined, so pushing it off by a year.  Thank god i have travel insurance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bondigirl1 said:

Despite the spread of Covid-19 in Europe, especially in Italy, HOLLAND AMERICA has not changed any of their itineraries! We are booked on Zuiderdam, April 19, 2020,  sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We have 3 ports of call in Italy: Civitavercchia (Rome), Salerno, and Venice. What in the world are they thinking? What do we do?

9 hours ago, texassteve said:

We are in the same situation, same ship but leaving the ship in Rome rather than Venice.  I also called HAL and had my travel agent also call HAL and got a similar response.  We would only be permitted to rebook if we booked another cruise leaving in the same time frame (April) as the current cruise and we are unwilling to book another cruise in the time frame where Covid 19 seems to be expanding in Europe and North America.  Generali Insurance was no help since you are only permitted to cancel for specified reasons such as sickness, injury, etc. 

We are disappointed that HAL is not addressing the situation (they certainly must know the demographics of their customers) and forcing us to make a decision to cancel for a 50% refund.  We do not like to lose the 50% and we do not like to lose the fun we planned on having, but the risks just seem to great for the money that we will lose.

I am in the same boat as both of you with my cruise scheduled on the same ship and same date.

I think it’s too soon for HAL to change the itineraries.  How do they know that what they select isn’t the “next hot spot”?

I may be wrong but I suspect HAL is assessing alternate ports and itinerary changes and making back up arrangements.

They just brought out a “Book with Confidence” for the next couple of months for new bookings.  I wonder if the next step is to extend it to existing cruises in the same time frame?  

The White House is meeting with the cruise line CEO’s on Saturday - no idea on what it is about.

This is an ever evolving situation, sadly.  

We have a lot more invested than just the cruise so we are hanging in with the hopes that a) things improve or b) Canada issues “no travel” warnings so our cancellation insurance kicks in.

There is no right answer right now.  Sadly, none of us have a crystal ball. 😞 

For those with cruises planned let me repeat this advice.  If you are not going to receive a substantial refund you are better off waiting then cancelling. If the cruise is cancelled by HAL you will be refunded.  There should be no hurry to take a loss.   Also before cancelling at a loss I would check that HAL won’t apply your funds to a future cruise credit.  In a matter of days this situation may be declared a pandemic by WHO and then governments will likely step in. They US government is already strong arming the airlines for certain impacted flights.  

• Like 3

We don't have any cruises booked, nor will we.

The c virus is just another nail in the coffin of cruising for us - the increased degradation of flying, reduced value of cruising with cutbacks and loss of amenities for non suite class, congested ports etc.  

Moving towards vehicle trips all over North America.  If going outside North America, will consider land tours where there is a deep dive into the landscapes, food, history of the area.

There are other travel options, cruising is just 1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shudie said:

We are booked on a Transatlantic/Baltic later this year, 29 days with our kids. As of today, we are pretty sure we are going to cancel and try and do what we can by land. Our final payment isn't until May 8 though so will wait until then to cancel. My husband has long service leave, we have booked our two kids out of school for the term and we have basically spent $30k, mostly non refundable either side of the cruise. Our back up plan is this: Syd-Lon-Copehagen (supposed to start cruise here)- fly Reykjavik-fly Toronto - drive to Nova Scotia - friend's lake house in Nova Scotia for the remainder of our cruise time - drive Boston (where cruise was meant to end) and then pick up our NYC-SFO itinerary. We are putting the cruise refund  aside for a Baltic & Norway cruise in 2 years.

That is of course if they let us out of Australia 😅

So sorry to hear this -- I had just booked on to part of your "odyssey" (Copenhagen to Boston) a couple of weeks ago due to my canceled April Japan cruise...  You have done so much research and planning for it all, it must be a real wrench.

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I agree regarding the concerns about port closures, re-routing, and potential quarantine.

Just out of curiosity, what other options are you looking at?  I feel that land travel to places of interest, especially where flying is involved (and for me it would be involved) is equally risky.

For example.... I took a long planned trip to Naples Italy, departing mid-February.  When I arrived there was no issue with coronavirus. By the time I left for home, 10 days later, the coronavirus in NE Italy (nowhere near me) had blown up and on the actual day I returned my company issued a "no business travel" to Italy and I was asked to work from home for the next 14 days.

While this poses no real hardship for me, I feel that I dodged a bullet. 

I agree that flying is also a concern.  We will be looking at vacations and areas that we can easily drive.  Less crowded areas and areas that have no reported cases of the virus.  We are Canadian and while we live close to the US border, I will be keeping a close eye on the situation to see whether or not we decide to visit the US.  One option that we have is to drive the Canada/New England route rather than cruise, for example.  I am thinking that considering that the situation is evolving every day, it may very well come down to planning and going at the last minute.  We have a Pacific Coast cruise booked and sadly, that is looking doubtful right now.

A friend sent me an update on the Costa Luminosa which is setting sail today on it’s Transatlantic.  Disembarkation port is now Marseilles and they are avoiding all Italian ports.  They certainly didn’t give much notice since this just got this notice. 😲

IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION

Costa

Costa Luminosa - Cruise from 03/05/2020

Dear Guest,

As you may have learned, the alert level for CoVid-19 declared by the World Health Organization has been raised, and this has led the health authorities of some countries to further increase their precautionary measures by introducing a series of bans on entry into their territories.

With the main aim to gain the most up-to-date information, Costa Cruises remains in constant contact with all the local authorities of the countries called by its vessels. This is done to allow Costa to make the most appropriate decisions and/or put in place the most adequate measures to be sure that the highest level of safety for its guests and crewmembers are met. Safety, in fact, is an absolute priority for us, both during navigation and on land.  

Given the continuous evolution of this specific situation and in accordance with the directives issued by US Department of State, who have further strengthened their restrictive measures on some specific north Italian regions (Lombardy and Veneto) , we are forced to modify  the itinerary originally planned for all American guests.

In light of this situation, the itinerary for your Transatlantic cruise aboard Costa Luminosa will now end in Marseille, France, on March 20, avoiding all the subsequent Italian calls.

Please see the itinerary below.

3/5/2020

Port Everglades, Florida

-

23:00

3/6-7/2020

At Sea

-

-

3/8/2020

San Juan, Puerto Rico

08:00

18:00

3/9/2020

St. John's, Antigua

09:00

3/10-15/2020

At Sea

-

-

3/16/2020

S.Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Isl.

09:00

17:00

3/17/2020

At Sea

-

-

3/18/2020

Malaga, Spain

14:00

20:00

3/19/2020

At Sea

-

-

3/20/2020

Marseille, France

13:00

-

While we regret this adjustment, we certainly understand this decision could be disappointing and as a gesture of goodwill, you will receive up to $250 per person onboard credit* that may be used for expenses onboard.  Furthermore, Costa will provide transfers to the Marseille airport.  Guests will be responsible to change flights with airlines from Marseille, France (MRS) to the final destination if needed.  Costa will provide reimbursement up to $250 USD for airline change fee†, and up to $150 USD for 1-night hotel in the international flight city prior to departing home. 

Finally, you will be receiving a 25% discount on a future cruise (based on the cruise fare, this will be mailed to you at a later date).

Thank you for your understanding.

Costa Cruises

*Onboard credit amount is based on the Guest's original disembarkation port:  Savona- $50pp, Naples- $100pp, Venice- $250pp. Onboard credit is based on double occupancy, may not be used in the casino or for Hotel Service Charges.  Any unused portion will not be refunded.

† The reimbursement will be considered when receipts have been reviewed.  Please send receipts to customercare@us.costa.it  

45 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

So sorry to hear this -- I had just booked on to part of your "odyssey" (Copenhagen to Boston) a couple of weeks ago due to my canceled April Japan cruise...  You have done so much research and planning for it all, it must be a real wrench.

oh gosh, I hope it all goes smoothly!