American Duchess - First Time River Cruise

TravelinGert

We are excited to be taking our first ever river cruise traveling from Memphis to New Orleans on the American Duchess next month. We are experienced ocean cruisers but full of questions regarding our first ever river cruise. I think some of our questions may be answered when we receive our documents but that won't be for a few more days yet, so please bear with me if I seem to be asking an obvious question.

1. I was wondering what type of shows to expect in the Show Lounge?

2. Friends who took a river cruise some years ago said we'll book our shore excursions either at check in at the hotel in Memphis or as soon as we board the boat. Anyone know which? 

3. Following on the previous question, about how much are premium shore excursions? We found something on the website where it said $70 per person which is fine just didn't know if that was up-to-date.

4. Will they mind if we have a private excursion at one of our ports? We have family in the area and would like to go spend most of the day with them seeing the sights. Do we need to let them know in advance we don't plan to do any of their tours on that day?

5.  What are the dining times for dinner on the boat? Our TA has said because of our cabin class which is LFS we'll get to pick our dining times when we are on board. I forgot to ask her what those times are.

And lastly:

6. What didn't you know that you wish you had known your first river cruise in the US?

3 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

We are excited to be taking our first ever river cruise traveling from Memphis to New Orleans on the American Duchess next month. We are experienced ocean cruisers but full of questions regarding our first ever river cruise. I think some of our questions may be answered when we receive our documents but that won't be for a few more days yet, so please bear with me if I seem to be asking an obvious question.

1. I was wondering what type of shows to expect in the Show Lounge?

They have three singers and a band with four musicians. They will have a variety of shows showcasing the singers. The main differences from the ocean cruises are no dancers and no stage special effects. They have two groups of singers and two bands who swich off. Since I was on a two-week B2B, I saw both, and I thought they were both good. However, they were changing some of the performers for the new season, so you will probably have some different ones than the ones I had last month and early this month.

2. Friends who took a river cruise some years ago said we'll book our shore excursions either at check in at the hotel in Memphis or as soon as we board the boat. Anyone know which? 

YouYou can book shore excursions (1) in advance on their website at https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/your-voyage/book-shore-excursions/, (2) at check in at the hotel, or (3) at the shore excursions desk on the boat. Even if you book online in advance, you don't pay until you settle your bill at the end of the cruise.

3. Following on the previous question, about how much are premium shore excursions? We found something on the website where it said $70 per person which is fine just didn't know if that was up-to-date.

The prices of all of the premium shore excurions are on the website at https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/your-voyage/book-shore-excursions/.

4. Will they mind if we have a private excursion at one of our ports? We have family in the area and would like to go spend most of the day with them seeing the sights. Do we need to let them know in advance we don't plan to do any of their tours on that day?

You need to book premium shore excursions in advance. If you don't book them, then they don't expect you on them. They don't keep track of who is on the hop-on/hop-off buses. You can go anywhere on your own as long as you are back on the boat by the all-aboard time. Make sure you check the all-aboard time each day before leaving the boat - it may have changed from the one announced in advance.

You can combine the hop-on/hop-off bus with visiting your family if you wish. Instead of meeting at the boat, you could take the hop-on/hop-off into town to meet them at one of the stops. It's up to you.

AQSC has a much more open policy about visitors than the ocean cruise lines. Your family may be able to visit you on the boat. Ask at guest services a few days in advance, and they will let you know.

5.  What are the dining times for dinner on the boat? Our TA has said because of our cabin class which is LFS we'll get to pick our dining times when we are on board. I forgot to ask her what those times are.

The American Duchess has open seating for dinner, so you can go anytime when it is open. Since there are enough tables for all passengers to eat at the same time, you won't have the probem of needing reservations or of having to wait for someone to finish before you can get a table. Reservations are needed only for parties of five or more, since most tables are for two or four.

I didn't travel in a sutie, so I'm not that familar with the suite ameniteis. I did see reserved placards on some of the front row seats in the Show Lounge, so I believe you will have the reserved front row for shows if you want them. However, everyone gets a good seat, since there are more seats in the Show Lounge than there are passengers on the boat (unlike the ocean cruises).

And lastly:

6. What didn't you know that you wish you had known your first river cruise in the US?

There is a big difference between cruising downriver (from Memphis to New Orleans) and cruising upriver (from New Orleans to Memphis. Cruising downriver, you have ports every day and lots of time in the ports - you don't cruisign upriver. However, you don't have much time watching the river go by during daylight, since you are in port almost all day nearly every day. This didn't make much difference to us, since we cruised both directions in a two-week B2B. Since you are cruising downriver, you should have plenty of time in the ports - enough time to visit family and also to take some of their excursions.

See comments embedded above.

If there are any excursions you definitely want to do, I'd book in advance.  Some of the popular ones can sell out.  I think the Angola Prison tour sold out on our trip, and the Vicksburg civil war site booked up, but I know my aunt and uncle were able to clear the waiting list on that one.

If you want to go to the show, make sure you get to dinner early enough.  The first night we left dinner right after the main course and skipped dessert to make it to the show.  I think after that we tried to get to the dining room by 6:15 at the latest to make it to the 8pm show.  Not sure I have those times exactly right...  I found the shows cheesy, but good fun.

Thanks for the heads up on the Prison tour, califsealion. I went ahead and booked it for husband and I. Mother-in-law plans to do a me day on the veranda that day she says. Love your cute dog photo on your profile. 😃

We're doing the Vicksburg Civil War site privately. My Mother-in-law will be with us and she's got some knee problems that make it hard for her to stand around waiting especially. We rented a car and booked at tour guide through the Museum there so we'll get to do as much of the same tour as the ship offers as my Mother-in-law can handle, and when she wears out we'll just return to the ship to relax. 

Cheesy shows sound fun. I'm sure we'll enjoy them. We all like silly, cheesy stuff. I've seen photos of the food on a recent cruise and it looked really good. I'm dieting now so I can enjoy eating whatever I want on the cruise. 😊

Edited by TravelinGert