If you could, would you (upgrade to Royal)

talljules1

OK so our circumstances are changing.

We go to Norqegian Fjords in May, have paid balance, in Concierge.

If you could upgrade (even if this means cancel and rebook through TA) to Royal Suite, would you?  

Have you done Royal?  Is it good?   I think for us the benefits would be luminae, retreat and specialty dining.  Am mindful that in May the fjords can be cold and not sure how much time we would spend in Retreat.

Just want thoughts (+ or -).  We can always happily stay where we are and have specialty dining.

Follow up question. If there are 2 people staying in a Royal suite and suppose you meet a couple you like spending time with.  Can you invite them to your stateroom for dinner from the menu from a specialty restaurant for no cost?  (I think no, but my OH is sure it is yes).

I gather that the 2 of us could have dinner in the suite from a specialty dining room for no money.  But can you invite "randoms"?

Without knowing how much more it would cost it is hard to answer your question. We’ve stayed in an RS and enjoyed it but we all have a price point we can tolerate.

Sorry, I can’t answer your second question.

Edited by Oville

I would definitely book if the price is right.   We stay in RS often and they are wonderful.  You receive unlimited specialty dining, 2 bottles of spirits, unlimited beer  and mixer and unlimited laundry and dry cleaning.

I have never had dinner in my cabin - not because I couldn't but because it doesn't interest me.   We do however have breakfast every morning.    I don't see any reason why your butler wouldn't serve dinner to you and your guest in your suite.  Just ask.

I believe by "rule" you are served dinner in your suite off the MDR menu, not to say your butler can't pull something special off. You can have guests who are not in your cabin or any suite. As Jim said, speciality dining is included with a RS so you could go there, but your guests will be charged. If the RS is within your budget give it a try, that's the only way you'll know if it's for you! 

Edited by garyl62

41 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

I believe by "rule" you are served dinner in your suite off the MDR menu, not to say your butler can't pull something special off. You can have guests who are not in your cabin or any suite. As Jim said, speciality dining is included with a RS so you could go there, but your guests will be charged. If the RS is within your budget give it a try, that's the only way you'll know if it's for you! 

Your are correct but butlers can do all sorts of things.   I've had one offer me dinner service from any of the Specialty's in my room.   I personally much prefer the dining room experience and decline.   

We book CSs or RSs and the RSs on M class and especially S Class ships are a wonderfull suite.

We have also done the Fjords on an RS and and loved sitting on the Balcony watching the sail into some of the fjords. Being in a hot and bubbly jacuzzi bath as you sail through the Fjord with a cocktail from your bar in hand has to be quite special.🍸😎

We have never had dinner for four in an RS but often Lunch or breakfast and I can atest the thable is large enough and comfertable fo four to eat at. The Buttlers who serve the RSs tend to also serve the PH on that side too and are ussually the best buttlers and most experienced buttlers on board. Their wish is litterally your command and the usually try very hard to never say no.

There is not a written rule that they can bring room service from anywhere other than the MDR but we have been offered Luminae and Tuscan  though we usually decline as we prefere to eat out than in. 

If you get a chance to enjoy the upper suite life You may have dificulty goning back to an ordinary room😉

We would absolutely book a RS for the right price.  We love the additional .5 bath, separate bedroom and much larger bathroom plus the “perks” that go along with the suite.  The dining table only gets used as a work area for my husband since we have never had dinner service in our suite, just breakfast.  The most awesome butler we have ever had was with a RS.  Having said that we generally are just as happy with a Celebrity Suite since it also has the separate bedroom and good sitting area (though much smaller than a RS).    It doesn’t come with the unlimited specialty dining but for the price difference we can do that if we choose.  The bar set up is nice but there is no way we are going to drink two bottles of liquor in our suite on a 7 day cruise.  

If the price is right for you, I would definitely upgrade to the RS.  It is a wonderful cabin with a lot of space and many amenities.  All the amenities would be a significant cost if purchased individually.  On M class the RS does not have the extra .5 bath; the S class does have it.  I still prefer the M class because you can access the bathroom and closet without having to go through the bedroom.  On S class you have the .5 bath out in the living area, but have to go into the full bath and closet through the bedroom.  Both are great!

Basically everyone could upgrade to a Royal Suite.  

I think most don’t don’t because  they don’t see value of spending the extra money even if they have it to spend.  Some would rather take more cruises then blowing it all on one.  

It all depends  on what you value and how you want to use your money.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

We loved the RS but that was when you could book a RS without perks.  So booked with no perks and got premium beverage, wi-fi, unlimited specialty dining and laundry.  Now every cruise we have Booked in a suite comes with all 4 perks, so the $ for a RS have less value- $ 6-7k more than a SS  and the added benefits are dining & laundry and more space.  The value at that addition $ isn’t there for us.

Firstly we do love the RS...One nice thing in Norway having a suite with big windows and a bigger balcony is you do get to enjoy the views! We did enjoy having an in suite bar set up too. 

I assume you are looking at Silhouette? She does have more speciality dining venues than most of the other S class ships, making the dining package more value. We loved the Porch at lunchtime.

Cost is a factor, have you considered the S1 suites at the rear? They give access to Luminae and the Retreat and have a wonderful wake view. If you have a premium drink package package and buy a dining package that could be an alternative...

Re dining in suite we rarely do this although we have occasionally arranged something with the butler. Discuss with him what options are available....we had an Indian banquet once, not on any menu. I would think a chunk of the Murano’s menu would not be possible owing to the tableside preparation aspect. If you do want friends to dine with you your butler will appreciate 24 hours notice to arrange. Alternative to arranging dining   in your suite with friends your butler will bring a range of cold hors d’oeuvres, glasses etc and set your room up for a sail away party. We have done this comfortably for 6 guests in a RS.

Whatever you decide to do have a great time! 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 7:06 PM, talljules1 said:

OK so our circumstances are changing.

We go to Norqegian Fjords in May, have paid balance, in Concierge.

If you could upgrade (even if this means cancel and rebook through TA) to Royal Suite, would you?  

Have you done Royal?  Is it good?   I think for us the benefits would be luminae, retreat and specialty dining.  Am mindful that in May the fjords can be cold and not sure how much time we would spend in Retreat.

Just want thoughts (+ or -).  We can always happily stay where we are and have specialty dining.

We have never done a Royal Suite, since the cost would equal about 4 other cruises that we would miss.

We did upgrade for a great deal in 2015 from a veranda to a Skysuite.  It was great, loved the extra space and dining in Luminae.  However, we would never pay upfront to stay in a suite.  We it is just not worth it for us.   Also, the cc friends that we made on the Roll Call and at the Meet and Greet couldn't dine in Luminae with us, without paying $50 each, so we missed socializing with them.

We cruise more for the ports, not the ship.

we only travel in the Celebrity, Royal or Penthouse Suites.  Luckily we are able to do this.  One warning, once you have been in one of the Suites, it is very hard to go back.  We love the Royal Suites, and as others have said, the butlers will bend over backwards to help you with your wishes.  We have has many parties in the suites, we tend not to have dinner in room, we prefer to go out.  We have had many breakfasts in the room, especially when the weather is great and we can enjoy it on the balcony.  Enjoy, whatever you chose.  BTW, if you are going to a more expensive room on the same sailing, you can usually just pay the difference in price and not cancel and rebook

Personally. I think the RS costs are just not justified. They have raised them to the point that you can buy any perk you want x 3 in lower priced suites. Yes cabins are really really nice. Millie class RS was our favorite.  Have not tried since revolutions upgrade 

it really depends on price difference 

On 2/20/2020 at 9:00 PM, NCHPcruiser said:

We would absolutely book a RS for the right price.  We love the additional .5 bath, separate bedroom and much larger bathroom plus the “perks” that go along with the suite. 

Of course, there is only one bathroom, no half bath, on the M class.  I have not seen the Edge RS, so do not know how many baths are in the RS there.