Orion to Alaska

Cleopatra99

I feel for all those affected by changes in itinerary / cancellations etc and I also feel for those who are directly affected by coronavirus. I wish all of you well.

I am curious about Viking Orion - which I understand is now going to re-position from NZ - Aust - Asia to Alaska. The ship is scheduled to depart Sydney on 20 March (to Bali, now cancelled of course).

Is anyone aware of the direction Orion will take to get from Sydney to Alaska (via LA maybe?), and will the ship sail empty ? - I assume not. So if Viking is planning to sell a new itinerary ex Sydney on 20 March might there an opportunity to pick up a bargain ?

I don't wish to rub salt into the wounds of those who are affected, nor seen to be taking advantage of their loss - but I am curious.

Any insights anyone ?

Edited by Cleopatra99
error

This is actually a very good question.  I would not think they would cross the Pacific empty but these are  becoming strange times for the cruise industry.  Alaska cruise season usually starts in May but sometimes there are a few April sailings.  The Alaska market is already pretty crowded.  I bet they are working on one or more cruises between 20 March and May.  There is a developing large overcapacity in the cruise industry and that does not include the new builds coming online this year and next.  I hope they solve this virus vaccine soon.

• Like 1

Some cruise lines are offering free repo cruises to firefighters, first responders, disabled veterans etc. I think they get some tax breaks.

Viking has a last-minute sale list here:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/limited-availability.html

I’ve never seen any super deals there, but under the circumstances you just might get lucky!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoralReef said:

Some cruise lines are offering free repo cruises to firefighters, first responders, disabled veterans etc. I think they get some tax breaks.

Viking has a last-minute sale list here:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/limited-availability.html

I’ve never seen any super deals there, but under the circumstances you just might get lucky!

Unfortunately that link is blocked for us Aussies - but thank you

4 hours ago, CoralReef said:

Really? That’s bizarre! Anyone know why they do that?

I'm guessing .. but each country has their own booking terms and conditions, final payment date requirements, different consumer protection laws etc and pricing would be adjusted accordingly.

Our pricing includes all on board gratuities for example .. which is factored into the advertised price - but we don't usually get the chance to book one cruise and then transfer the deposit to another cruise (as I understand some locations allow).

So any 'special' deals would very likely be specifically priced to a location (eg US, or UK, or Aust / NZ).

I'm not complaining ... but I would love to have a look at that last-minute list so I could compare to local prices (which of course would mean I have to convert everything to Aussie dollars so it may not be completely accurate ... especially with the AUD - USD exchange rate falling in US favour).

Which I guess means it is a good time for US friends to visit us, the exchange rate is best it has been (for you) for over 10 years.

If anyone hears about the Sydney - Alaska itinerary (or segments of that itinerary) please feel free to share.

Cheers, Cleo

There is Info on the Viking web site under Cruises>World Cruises and Grand Voyages>Asia to Alaska. This would be the long leg portion of the cruise. You could also check out https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0

There is a cruise schedule workbook there with all Viking Cruises scheduled through 2020.  It is rather detailed.  There are drop down arrows at the top of each column.  If you select the drop down for ship, and select Orion, you will only see the scheduled cruises for Orion.