Renting a car in Katakolo

adonisr

We rented a car - pre-booked but not pre-paid (they hold the car until your booked time, then offer it to walk-ups if you don't arrive). Worked out well.

Sorry, don't recall the name, but the office was just a few yards from the port gate.

This was about 3 years ago, a small but modern & clean 4-seater, and IIRC it cost €40 or less incl road-legal insurance and CDW but with a high excess (we have an annual CDW excess insurance policy thro a third party). Came with a little map, but the route is very very simple, with just one (or is it two?) turns. About 30 mins e/w IIRC. We put in €10 of gas, which was plenty.

For four it's about the same total cost of the Katakolon Express bus, but it gives you the flexibility to spend as much (or as little) time as you want at Olympia.

But don't go thinking you'll go exploring the local scenery - it's all pretty bland & boring.

JB :classic_smile: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

We rented a car - pre-booked but not pre-paid (they hold the car until your booked time, then offer it to walk-ups if you don't arrive). Worked out well.

Sorry, don't recall the name, but the office was just a few yards from the port gate.

This was about 3 years ago, a small but modern & clean 4-seater, and IIRC it cost €40 or less incl road-legal insurance and CDW but with a high excess (we have an annual CDW excess insurance policy thro a third party). Came with a little map, but the route is very very simple, with just one (or is it two?) turns. About 30 mins e/w IIRC. We put in €10 of gas, which was plenty.

For four it's about the same total cost of the Katakolon Express bus, but it gives you the flexibility to spend as much (or as little) time as you want at Olympia.

But don't go thinking you'll go exploring the local scenery - it's all pretty bland & boring.

JB :classic_smile: 

Thanks JB.  Exactly what I needed to know.  I think we will rent a car and go it on our own.  

• 1 month later...

I can second that, did the same thing at the same cost, but we had two kids so paid 5 euro extra for car seats (per kid).  We were able to.spend a lot more time then all the bus tours by renting the car so had a nearly empty Olympia by staying an hour longer than most buses/tours. We had time for a waffle and coffee at one of the town's cafes, too.  There is a winery around somewhere too, but we never found it as we enjoyed Olympia and the town for shopping.  There is little in the way to explore in the area except a few beaches of a place to eat if you have extra time.

Edited by bearette

We have visited and rented cars many times in Greece.

On our fall trip last year we had four car rentals in Greece   Each one of 5hem required an international drivers licence.  I had one but was very surprised.  I get one every year but this was the first time in countless European rentals over many years that I have been asked for it when renting a car.

19 hours ago, iancal said:

We have visited and rented cars many times in Greece.

On our fall trip last year we had four car rentals in Greece   Each one of 5hem required an international drivers licence.  I had one but was very surprised.  I get one every year but this was the first time in countless European rentals over many years that I have been asked for it when renting a car.

The law recently changed in Greece and it is now mandatory to have the international driving permit.  Also in Italy, while in  many other countries it is just recommended.  We have had surprise road side checks by Italian carabinieri twice and were very glad we had the required document.  

We have visited Olympia and the port of Katakolon many times.  We rented a car one time to explore,  and were underwhelmed.   Now we just take a taxi or the little train to the nearby beach.  

Edited by bennybear

Good to know.  One of our rentals was from autoeurope.  I noticed that they put a notice on our rental that the international lic. was required.  First time I have seen this on a rental reservation/document.

• 1 month later...

We have rented, a couple of times, from a local agency https://rentacarkatakolo.gr/en/cars which is located close to the pier.  But given the situation with COVID-19 we have no idea who will survive the summer of few or no ships.  I have walked past the Avis rental place a few times (easy walking distance to the pier) but never rented from them.  The thing about renting a car in this town is you should have some idea where you want to go since it really is an isolated port.  We have driven to Olympia, some beaches, the winery, etc.  For us a rental car is usually a much better choice then tours or excursions because we like the lower cost and freedom to what we want, when we want, with who we want.

Hank