Sunrise Journeys

Ilovesailaway

I have been reading a lot of negative reviews on the Sunrise. The complaints center around crowding, lines, and noise. My cruise is a 9 night Journeys cruise out of NYC to Bermuda, Grand Turk, and HMC.

I am very excited for this cruise. Longest one yet, first time out of NYC, and first time to Bermuda.

The ever optimistic voice in my head is telling me that Journeys equals less kids equals less crowds ( only 2 ppl per room hopefully) less noise, and hopefully not as many lines.

Am I correct in my hopeful assumptions?

I was on the Sunrise Journey cruise last year. i never had any issues with noises. I did had issues with crowds and lines which is too be expected since Carnival added in a bunch of additional cabins to increase capacity . the lido buffet area can be very crowded and busy, sometimes impossible to find a table. seems worse compare to other ships

We were on the Sunrise just last month. She's a nicely refurbished ship.  Most of those complaints about her dated to the peak summer season when she was packed for family summer vacation.  Don't sweat it.

We're on the same cruise! We've been on 5 Journey cruises and without a doubt the crowd is older. In fact, they could call it a Geriatric cruise. There are so many platinum and diamonds guests, they usually don't offer FTTF. We've sailed Sunshine (sister ship) several times and it does get a little crowded due to the extra cabins. Never noticed it noisy.

We're on the Sunrise Journeys to Bermuda, HMC, and Nassau sailing on May 25. It's our first time visiting New York, Bermuda, and HMC. I have also seen the negative reviews about the crowds and lines on the Lido, but we're hoping it won't be that bad on a 9-day.

I usually get up early enough on sea days that I get my huevos rancheros and arepas fix before most people are up and around, but we might try the MDR for lunch - something we've never done - to avoid the buffet swarm.

We're just really excited to visit places we've never been. We're even spending an extra few days in NYC see Lady Liberty, WTC Memorial, ESB, the Rock, Central Park, etc.  

Always go in with an open mind and form your own opinion. People who complain are generally those who are impossible to please to begin with. I take what others say with a grain of salt, because personally, in all my cruises I’ve never experienced anything like what some people claim to. A cruise is what you make of it. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

We're on the Sunrise Journeys to Bermuda, HMC, and Nassau sailing on May 25. It's our first time visiting New York, Bermuda, and HMC. I have also seen the negative reviews about the crowds and lines on the Lido, but we're hoping it won't be that bad on a 9-day.

I usually get up early enough on sea days that I get my huevos rancheros and arepas fix before most people are up and around, but we might try the MDR for lunch - something we've never done - to avoid the buffet swarm.

We're just really excited to visit places we've never been. We're even spending an extra few days in NYC see Lady Liberty, WTC Memorial, ESB, the Rock, Central Park, etc.  

Go to the Sea Day Brunch.

Thanks for the responses. I have had a blast on all my cruises and I am sure I will love this one. I guess I really became concerned when I saw the Sunrise on a list of worst cruise ships. It was one of those click bait lists on yahoo. It sited the complaints of crowds and lines.

I will follow the advice of using the other options for my meals. Can't wait. I love having a cruise booked.

Edited by Ilovesailaway
typo

We're doing that itinerary in August on Sunrise with kids. It's an end of summer treat for us as the kids don't start school until the next week.

If your itinerary is during the school year, I'd assume the length of the trip is going to significantly limit the number of kids on board. But, if it's still during summer vacation, all bets are off.

We did a 10-day Journeys cruise out of NYC on the Sunrise last June.  It was early June, before many east coast schools were out, so we didn't encounter a huge number of kids.  But, it's reasonable to recognize that when a lot of cabins are added to what was formerly public space, the resulting increase in the number of passengers can create some issues.   

We learned some tricks, such as going to the upper level above the buffet at breakfast time and planning meals, whether in the buffet or with anytime dining for dinner, at other than peak times.  

You may encounter long lines when getting on and off the ship.  You may not be able find seating at the comedy show if you don't go early.  You may not like the reduced size of the main show room (formerly the theater).   And you may not encounter or be bothered by any of these things. 

None of the issues caused us to have a bad cruise.  We are always happy to be on a cruise, and we adapt.  But I think having realistic expectations can minimize later disappointments.

Have a great time on the cruise.

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 1

My cruise is in the fall and schools will be in session. I expect that we won't have many kids on board. Thanks for the advice on how to avoid some of the crowds. I will bring my positive attitude as always and I am sure I will have a great time. Just as I have on all my cruises. Man I love cruising lol.

Sailed on this ship last year.  People see a line in the buffet and just join it without first finding out that there is different food on the other side.  Both side do not serve the same food.  There is also a separate line for great deli style sandwiches along with the pasta place upstairs and the burritos and Guy's burgers.  In essence, you have multiple choices.  On sea days, the dining room is another option.  Finally, there is always pizza.

Look around first before you get on a line to see if there is anything you want.  Try to go earlier or later to avoid most of the crowds in the buffet.

Easy to get around the ship.

MARAPRINCE

s

• Like 1

My journeys cruise is in August from ny.  Is on the radiance, so basically the same ship. 

We have 2 cabins booked, an interior for 2 and a balcony for 3.  In checking for price drops, I noticed that there is a shortage of cabins for 2. In fact, our category (4F) is sold out for 2. The only interior cabins for 2 available are on decks 1 and 2. 

But, there is tons of availability for 3 and 4 per room. 

On 2/22/2020 at 3:56 PM, Maraprince said:

Sailed on this ship last year.  People see a line in the buffet and just join it without first finding out that there is different food on the other side.  Both side do not serve the same food.  There is also a separate line for great deli style sandwiches along with the pasta place upstairs and the burritos and Guy's burgers.  In essence, you have multiple choices.  On sea days, the dining room is another option.  Finally, there is always pizza.

Look around first before you get on a line to see if there is anything you want.  Try to go earlier or later to avoid most of the crowds in the buffet.

Easy to get around the ship.

MARAPRINCE

s

I was just on the Sunrise, and I totally agree with this. For example, sometimes there was a line for the buffet, but then absolutely no one at the deli or burrito stand. I walked up and got a Guy's burger immediately a few times on the cruise. I didn't actually find the crowding to be noticeably more than any of my previous cruises.