Queens Grill dining???

bazzaw

For our 9th cruise with Cunard , we have just booked a Queens Grill stateroom.  All other cruises we have dined in the main Britannia Dining room with fixed dining times. We are sociable people and prefer to dine with others at the table rather than alone. This proved to be a bit of a problem once on an NCL ship Pride of America around Hawaii - it seems that most Americans like to dine alone , we had a real problem trying to get a shared table in the main restaurant. When we asked for a shared table, the staff looked at us as though we were weirdos!! 🙂 Anyway, regarding this, what to expect in the QE Queens grill dining room??? 

You can request a table size in QG but because of the flexible dining times you might not share it for the whole meal.

On a previous trip in QG on a table for 6 we often sat down at a similar time as another couple, just as the other 2 were having coffee. We often had the table to ourselves at lunch but occasionally we were all there at breakfast.

On our most recent short trip we requested a table of 6 but ended up alone !

There are very few large tables in QG, On QE and QV, I think there are only three large tables.

The tables for 2 are well spaced for the higher grades and closer together for the Q5's and Q6's.

On both Vistas, the first half dozen at the window are reserved for Q1's and Q2's, whereas on QM2 it's the tables immediately to your left as you enter that are considered the best. 

One would expect 1's and 2's on  Full Fare and without an  upgrade  to get their preference, be it  a two top or not, but after that, it depends when the booking was made, which passengers have requested which table size, the loyalty tier and also  how well known the passengers are to the staff. We have booked a Q2, both on QE and QV on a few occasions, but always go for a table for eight. Some friends whom we meet always book a 1 and always dine with us. 

On some cruises, especially when the table really gels, all eight of us dine more or less together at dinner time and if it's a real hit, lunchtime too. Breakfast, you might be on your own but that's fine.  Over dinner, sometimes it can be six or four of us but we generally overlap for a while. It's most congenial and we always go for a large table.

The number of tables for six or eight depends on the demand. There are usually three on the Vistas but if the demand is for more two tops, then there will be two.

Regarding your previous unpleasant cruise, we too did the Hawaiian Isles on NCL in 2002. We were so disappointed by it  - including the dining experience - that it put us off cruising for 6 years. 

Luckily we found Celebrity then Cunard and have enjoyed every experience since then.  I much prefer Cunard's fixed seating (in Britannia class) because we, like you, recognize that the dining experience is a integral part of the cruise.  

To each his own, of course, but I'm thankful we found our niche with Cunard. 

7 hours ago, bazzaw said:

For our 9th cruise with Cunard , we have just booked a Queens Grill stateroom.  All other cruises we have dined in the main Britannia Dining room with fixed dining times. We are sociable people and prefer to dine with others at the table rather than alone. This proved to be a bit of a problem once on an NCL ship Pride of America around Hawaii - it seems that most Americans like to dine alone , we had a real problem trying to get a shared table in the main restaurant. When we asked for a shared table, the staff looked at us as though we were weirdos!! 🙂 Anyway, regarding this, what to expect in the QE Queens grill dining room??? 

Ask for a table of six or eight, and you will get pot luck on the other diners. One of the advantages of the grills is that you can dine when you want to so people tend to come and go when they want to. Having said that, it has been my experience over 17 cruises and crossings in QG at a table of two or four, you get to know the diners at tables around you. You can converse with them if you are mutually interested, or dine quietly if you are not. You are not obligated to speak, but the option to chat is there should you wish to. 

9 hours ago, bazzaw said:

As a solo traveller, I ask for a table of 8 and I have so far been seated with a number of other people. On the last occasion there was some 'settling' took place as we lost a rather rude couple and their friend after the first lunch and gained a guest speaker and his delightful wife when they joined after a few days of our voyage. The maitre d' is very good at organising everyone. I find it one of the pleasures of travelling to meet others over dinner so I find the larger table is the best way to go.

Knowing which trip you're on from another board, and from what you've said about enjoying having dinner with a group, I do hope you request a large table. It will really be a lot of fun.

You can ask your TA to arrange for a large table in Queens Grille.  Or you can try to arrange that once you are on board by speaking with the maitre'd.  And as others have suggested, if you are at a table for 2, the tables are very close together and your neighbors may socialize with you.

I seem to have got some conflicting advice - or I have misunderstood the advice. I have been told that we are allocated a specific individual dining table only for our use during the cruise - but I have also been told that there are larger tables which we can ask to be seated at?? I can see that both those individual pieces of advice could be true - but cannot see how that would work? Will there be others/couples/singles who do not wish to dine by themselves? 

If you ask to be seated at a larger table, that larger table is your table for all meals, the whole cruise segment.

personally, we prefer table for 2, but others prefer a larger table.  Note that the tables for 2 are fairly close, so you can converse with the people at the next table if you wish.

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

I seem to have got some conflicting advice - or I have misunderstood the advice. I have been told that we are allocated a specific individual dining table only for our use during the cruise - but I have also been told that there are larger tables which we can ask to be seated at?? I can see that both those individual pieces of advice could be true - but cannot see how that would work? Will there be others/couples/singles who do not wish to dine by themselves? 

Both pieces of information are true. I think most people nominate before boarding which size table they prefer but it wouldn’t be impossible to make a request once on-board to change table size. I have done a couple of Cunard cruises as a single traveller and always nominate to sit at a larger table - I find it enjoyable to meet other travellers and have the same dinner companions each night. And yes, there are couples who choose to dine on those larger tables with others. You may even have one of the guest speakers on your table which can be very interesting. Either way, you have your particular table for every meal during your cruise. 

I guess that , from my experience, I would prefer to NOT dine amongst other couples who prefer to dine alone at a table for two. So I will ask the Matre'D for a larger table if at all possible.  My "theory" is that only other reasonably sociable people would also ask for this 🙂  

4 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I guess that , from my experience, I would prefer to NOT dine amongst other couples who prefer to dine alone at a table for two. So I will ask the Matre'D for a larger table if at all possible.  My "theory" is that only other reasonably sociable people would also ask for this 🙂  

Not strictly true :classic_biggrin: We always ask for a table for two because I am as deaf as a very deaf thing and although my husband is well used to me ignoring him 🙄, I am conscious that I can sometimes appear standoffish or rude if I do not respond when other people speak to me. I get weary of having to always explain myself and frankly I often feel left out of the animated conversations on a larger table.

That said, in the past we have had delightful next table companions. 

Go to the voyage personalizer for your booking at the Manage my booking tab at Cunard.com.  there you should be able to select the size of table you want 2,4,6 or more. If you later change your mind on board, the Maitre d' will help. 

On 2/28/2020 at 9:03 PM, bazzaw said:

When you dine in the Grills, you will be assigned a table based on your table size preference. You will take all of your meals at that table, and you will have the same serving team, who will quickly get to know your preferences and will proactively meet them. The size of the table can be chosen after you book by visiting the 'Managing your booking tab' on the Cunard web site. You will receive a note from the Maitre d' in your suite when you board giving you the table assignment. If you wish to make changes you can ask him or her and they will do their best to help you

9 hours ago, fionaanne1 said:

Not strictly true :classic_biggrin: We always ask for a table for two because I am as deaf as a very deaf thing and although my husband is well used to me ignoring him 🙄, I am conscious that I can sometimes appear standoffish or rude if I do not respond when other people speak to me. I get weary of having to always explain myself and frankly I often feel left out of the animated conversations on a larger table.

That said, in the past we have had delightful next table companions. 

Hi Folks

Yes I am another "deaf" person dining with people that dont understand deafness can be a real pain in the rear

Deaf people sometime need to select their table and chair to suit where sound is coming from  and there is nothing worse than people who shout so you can hear also those who whisper or talk so fast one cannot understand them 

So after years of frustration many "deaf" people prefer the company of people who understand their issues..its not being rude or unsociable  I like company but sometimes its very hard

We are a party of three so we normally get a table for four with the spare seat unused , this allows me to have maximum choice of where I sit ....

We are in Queens Grill for the first time on Queen Elizabeth from April 1st

Regards

John

• Like 1

At almost every table in the Queen's Grille, even a table for two, it is possible to chit chat with diners at other tables. We had a table for two and found ourselves conversing every meal with another two top on one side of us and an eight top on the other.

The good thing about that was when we wanted to be alone in our conversation, we just didn't talk to the other tables. 

• Like 2