Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
croozen

Upsell offer on 11 day cruise

Current upsell price from HAL to go from category VE to Neptune Suite is $749 per person. This is on an 11 day Panama cruise. Seems steep to us. We have paid $250 per person before, albeit for a 7 day cruise. The HAL rep seemed to indicate this price would not go down, and there would be a sell out at that price. Of course he will say that. From what I read here, I guess there is no such thing as negotiating with them so all there is to do is pay that price or wait to see if it goes down. Thoughts?

Are you happy with your current cabin?  If so, wait to see if this offer changes to a price you like better.  If it would impact your cruise negatively not to have a suite, take the offer.  No, you can't bargain with the rep.  They understand if one passenger passes on an offer, another will snap it up.  It depends on what each passenger considers a good deal, something that each passenger decides for him/herself.

11 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Are you happy with your current cabin?  If so, wait to see if this offer changes to a price you like better.  If it would impact your cruise negatively not to have a suite, take the offer.  No, you can't bargain with the rep.  They understand if one passenger passes on an offer, another will snap it up.  It depends on what each passenger considers a good deal, something that each passenger decides for him/herself.

Agree 100%. We predetermine how much we will pay for an upsell if an offer is made. Makes it easier for us to accept or pass.  

25 minutes ago, croozen said:

Current upsell price from HAL to go from category VE to Neptune Suite is $749 per person. This is on an 11 day Panama cruise. Seems steep to us. We have paid $250 per person before, albeit for a 7 day cruise. The HAL rep seemed to indicate this price would not go down, and there would be a sell out at that price. Of course he will say that. From what I read here, I guess there is no such thing as negotiating with them so all there is to do is pay that price or wait to see if it goes down. Thoughts?

It sounds like you are a Vista class ship, so my experience with this class of ship and upsells is that going from a Signature to a Neptune is normally about $30-40 per day.  Of course, you are in a VE, so I would double that.  Based on my math, an upsell should go for $660 to $880 for an 11 day.  

I also use a formula of paying 1/3rd of the current fare difference for my upsell.  For example, if the VE is $900 and the Neptune is $3000, the difference is $2100 and I would look to pay $700.

I pulled the trigger and reserved at that price. Very happy. As to the question were we "happy" before with our original VE booking? Yes. Of course. We always book balconies and find them fine. But am HAPPIER with the Neptune, particularly when there are four sea days. That means more time to enjoy the room and the special perks and privileges it affords. Once you experience the Neptune Lounge it is hard to go back!  We find on European cruises we are out touring so much the amount of time in room in so sparse it doesn't make as much sense to upgrade. Can't wait to board.

Edited by croozen

19 minutes ago, croozen said:

I pulled the trigger and reserved at that price. Very happy. As to the question were we "happy" before with our original VE booking? Yes. Of course. We always book balconies and find them fine. But am HAPPIER with the Neptune, particularly when there are four sea days. That means more time to enjoy the room and the special perks and privileges it affords. Once you experience the Neptune Lounge it is hard to go back!  We find on European cruises we are out touring so much the amount of time in room in so sparse it doesn't make as much sense to upgrade. Can't wait to board.

Congrats!  I thought the upsell offer seemed quite decent (especially if it was in Canadian dollars?).  I’m glad you were decisive and able to snatch the deal.  Wait too long and there could be none left 😉 

Have fun on your cruise and enjoy the suite life 😄 

Congratulations on doing the upsell.

I also thought that the price seemed reasonable to go from from a VE to a Neptune Suite.

Enjoy!!

We just had an upsell offer from a Signature Suite to a Neptune for $299/person on a ten day Panama Canal cruise. We grabbed it, as there are six sea days to enjoy that balcony and the Neptune Lounge. 

6 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Congratulations on doing the upsell.

I also thought that the price seemed reasonable to go from from a VE to a Neptune Suite.

Enjoy!!

On the reasonableness of the price, it is subjective I suppose, to some degree. 

I have read all kinds of formulas on here for what is fair or a good deal.

I did a couple of things when considering the price, (and making the case to my fiscally prudent husband) 

1. given there are three of us (11 year old son) I took the $1500CAD quote (they only charge for two of us,  not three) and figured it is $45 extra per day per person = not bad.

2. Did a dummy booking. Earlier today when HAL still showed Neptunes available  the quote for a Neptune was $3100 more than the excellent VE balcony price I booked in at many months ago. On that basis, I concluded $1500 is within the realm of reasonable for us.

Now that we have booked, Everyone is happy and very much looking forward.

8 hours ago, croozen said:

I did a couple of things when considering the price, (and making the case to my fiscally prudent husband) 

1. given there are three of us (11 year old son) I took the $1500CAD quote (they only charge for two of us,  not three) and figured it is $45 extra per day per person = not bad.

2. Did a dummy booking. Earlier today when HAL still showed Neptunes available  the quote for a Neptune was $3100 more than the excellent VE balcony price I booked in at many months ago. On that basis, I concluded $1500 is within the realm of reasonable for us.

I think you evaluated the upsell price very well.

You will really appreciate the space with 3 of you in the cabin 🙂 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, croozen said:

On the reasonableness of the price, it is subjective I suppose, to some degree. 

I have read all kinds of formulas on here for what is fair or a good deal.

Now that we have booked, Everyone is happy and very much looking forward.

We usually consider that we can cruise on Seabourn for about $400 per passenger/day which includes unlimited drinks, caviar, etc.  It is truly all inclusive and when we disembark we will have a zero dollar bill.  If we can get a similar priced deal in a Neptune (including the beverage package) it would get our interest.   Otherwise we can live with a balcony or SS.

Hank

53 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We usually consider that we can cruise on Seabourn for about $400 per passenger/day which includes unlimited drinks, caviar, etc.  It is truly all inclusive and when we disembark we will have a zero dollar bill.  If we can get a similar priced deal in a Neptune (including the beverage package) it would get our interest.   Otherwise we can live with a balcony or SS.

Hank

Never been on Seabourn. Are their rooms the same size as a Neptune?

L.

3 hours ago, leerathje said:

Never been on Seabourn. Are their rooms the same size as a Neptune?

L.

No, not even close.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

No, not even close.

Hank

lol...so larger or smaller?

L.

1 hour ago, leerathje said:

lol...so larger or smaller?

L.

st

Seabourn's normal cabins are smaller.  Kind of like comparing the largest suite in a Holiday Inn to a smaller boutique suite in a  Star hotel.

Hank