Loyalty levels to change

iltutcruiser

Hi

I am surprised how many people are really influenced by the loyalty programs by any given company. 

My reaction is only, " you gotta be kidding".

If you aren't always looking for best value that meet your needs (regardless of company), then you have been doing yourself a disservice. Getting brand loyalty only because of their a "loyalty program", is good for the company, not for the consumer. As a consumer, pretend the loyalty program is not there when making your decisions. 

• Like 2

It shocks me so many people fixate over this stuff.  The benefits are minuscule for a product that costs most families thousands.  Some people just want to feel special, and VIFP shows many are willing to pay for it.  

I bet there was lots of eye rolling in the original marketing meeting where VIFP was proposed. 

-'People won't pay that kind of money for something that has no value'

-Some guy in the corner smirks and says 'Oh yes they will'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I am surprised how many people are really influenced by the loyalty programs by any given company. 

If you aren't always looking for best value that meet your needs (regardless of company), then you have been doing yourself a disservice. Getting brand loyalty only because of their a "loyalty program", is good for the company, not for the consumer. As a consumer, pretend the loyalty program is not there when making your decisions. 

I think you're getting the wrong impression of a majority of cruisers just because we're here discussing loyalty perks and not necessarily "value." Value of the overall product isn't necessarily the topic at hand...the value of the loyalty perks is. I agree that a key factor of being a consumer is to find the best value to meet one's own needs. But what you seem to fail to recognize is, they aren't mutually exclusive. We can seek the best value to meet our needs and seek out loyalty benefits that make the product more attractive. Yes, there are those who take these loyalty perks more seriously than others. They get angry when some of their perks are sold to people in the form of FTTF and they often become angry because they're dissatisfied with a free gift. I think people like that are in the minority. A majority of cruisers look at loyalty perks as a way to enhance a product they already enjoy.

• Like 5

I have to admit... I cruised another line twice...tried Carnival and was red... then blue..then gold..next cruise I'm platinum. I stayed because I love cruising but also because liked getting a little extra. I like thinking I’m getting more🙋🏻‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Banditswife said:

I agree with Organized Chaos- the cuts Carnival is making are lessening the cruise experience.  But until their cuts impact the # of booked cruises, they will continue to make cuts.  Quality of MDR staff & cabin servicing has greatly decreased in the last couple of years.  As far as merging brand loyalty tiers, I just wish they could figure out a way that would not affect their bottom line too much.  I'd love to try Princess, but continue booking with Carnival because of our Plat status.  HAL does give you 1 star mariner status for sailing on Carnival.  But we didn't like the product as well as Carnival.  Due to Carnival's cutbacks, we are doing more land vacations than we were before.  If cutbacks continue, we will stop cruising altogether.

If you have grown tired of cruising, I can understand why you would stop cruising. But if you are limiting yourself to Carnival just because you are platinum, you are missing out on the possibility that you might enjoy another cruise line even more than Carnival. I think most people understand Carnival is an entry level cruise line and in my opinion they offer a great product for the prices they charge.  But I do agree with your point about the numerous cutbacks Carnival has made impacting the cruise experience, which is why our next 4 cruises this year are booked on Royal Carribean. My wife and I still love cruising, so we will continue to cruise with or without Carnival in the future. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If you have grown tired of cruising, I can understand why you would stop cruising. But if you are limiting yourself to Carnival just because you are platinum, you are missing out on the possibility that you might enjoy another cruise line even more than Carnival. I think most people understand Carnival is an entry level cruise line and in my opinion they offer a great product for the prices they charge.  But I do agree with your point about the numerous cutbacks Carnival has made impacting the cruise experience, which is why our next 4 cruises this year are booked on Royal Carribean. My wife and I still love cruising, so we will continue to cruise with or without Carnival in the future. 

We still enjoy Carnival, but there will come a time when too many cutbacks are too many.  We have tried Royal & HAL, but prefer the fun vibe of CCL.  Cruising the entry level brand allows us to cruise more often.  

• Like 1

I really don't understand the talk of cutbacks especially impacting service. Maybe I have just been lucky.  Last year, I was on 3 Carnival cruises and 1 other, a mass market new ship. 

The 3 cabin stewards on Carnival were friendly, efficient and cleaned my cabin once a day. (my preference) 

The other cabin steward, I saw/talked to once all week. I left notes for him twice, something I never do but there were things that needed to be addressed. 

On Carnival I have had excellent service in the dinning room, I am usually in and out in an hour, which is what I like.

On the other cruise is was close to 2 hours!! for 3 courses, which is torture for me. HA. I understand it at a specialty restaurant but this was the main dinning rooms. 

I do agree with the comment about the rust on the ships however I did see recently John Heald had said there was an issue with the paint/company that was used and it is being addressed, so we shall see about that.

I enjoy talking to the crew when possible and I do find Carnival to have the friendliest, most engaging crew out there. I have almost met so many wonderful, friendly people over the years,  I also appreciate how Carnival handles issues that come up, I feel they try to do what is best for the company, yes but also for their guests.  For example, the Pride is coming in late today about 5-6 hours, for guests getting onboard today Carnival gave everyone $15 for lunch OBC, I don't see that much from other lines. 

I am platinum with Carnival, close to Diamond, I don't feel the benefits are that great compared to other lines however I do enjoy a couple of them. I don't cruise for the benefits, I cruise for the experience itself. On my carnival cruises I am so sad when they are over however the other cruise last year, I was done after 5 days and could not wait to get off the ship.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, emm126 said:

I really don't understand the talk of cutbacks especially impacting service. Maybe I have just been lucky.  Last year, I was on 3 Carnival cruises and 1 other, a mass market new ship. 

The 3 cabin stewards on Carnival were friendly, efficient and cleaned my cabin once a day. (my preference) 

The other cabin steward, I saw/talked to once all week. I left notes for him twice, something I never do but there were things that needed to be addressed. 

On Carnival I have had excellent service in the dinning room, I am usually in and out in an hour, which is what I like.

On the other cruise is was close to 2 hours!! for 3 courses, which is torture for me. HA. I understand it at a specialty restaurant but this was the main dinning rooms. 

I do agree with the comment about the rust on the ships however I did see recently John Heald had said there was an issue with the paint/company that was used and it is being addressed, so we shall see about that.

I enjoy talking to the crew when possible and I do find Carnival to have the friendliest, most engaging crew out there. I have almost met so many wonderful, friendly people over the years,  I also appreciate how Carnival handles issues that come up, I feel they try to do what is best for the company, yes but also for their guests.  For example, the Pride is coming in late today about 5-6 hours, for guests getting onboard today Carnival gave everyone $15 for lunch OBC, I don't see that much from other lines. 

I am platinum with Carnival, close to Diamond, I don't feel the benefits are that great compared to other lines however I do enjoy a couple of them. I don't cruise for the benefits, I cruise for the experience itself. On my carnival cruises I am so sad when they are over however the other cruise last year, I was done after 5 days and could not wait to get off the ship.

I def agree that Carnivals best asset is their people, always has been and always will be.  It is what sets them apart.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I def agree that Carnivals best asset is their people, always has been and always will be.  It is what sets them apart.   

While I agree with you that Carnival’s staff is excellent, I have found that to be the case on every cruise line I have been on. I also enjoy talking with staff members and that experience has been similar on multiple cruise lines  

• Like 3

I’m greatly looking forward to making Platinum in 2021.  My sole reason? No longer paying for FTTF.  I always get this option for the Guest Service line and Early Boarding .  Those 2 things are important to me. 

We achieved Diamond pretty easily on RCCL. But, don’t cruise with that line very often. It started when they left Southern California. Then our son started working on Carnival ships. He decided to stay on land for now.

My Glory Cruise is next month, then just my little B2B Inspiration Cruises. Then FINALLY my 2021 Panorama Cruise where I make that Platinum level. Yippie 🥳🤔.  

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Many people greatly underestimate the obsession over "free and included" stuff. It's like that internet meme where an item is $10 + $2.99 shipping, and that is not a good deal, but the $12.99 + free shipping is much better because the shipping is free. There are infinite examples of this, and marketers know how to take full advantage over it. People will spend $3000 on a cruise, but $100 worth of fees might send them over the edge when, and next time, they will spend $4000 on a cruise to get more for "free".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What I would like to see from Carnival, and this could potentially bring more customers to them, is to have a universal loyalty program across their whole fleet. My parents are cruising on HAL and have a great loyalty program and refrain themselves from trying Carnival, Costa or another of their cruise line because of the perks they have been getting used to have.

This could be a game changer for them as they are the largest cruise line and this could also spread Carnival cruisers to their other cruise line brands don't you think? and could bring new ones also.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Teibban said:

What I would like to see from Carnival, and this could potentially bring more customers to them, is to have a universal loyalty program across their whole fleet. My parents are cruising on HAL and have a great loyalty program and refrain themselves from trying Carnival, Costa or another of their cruise line because of the perks they have been getting used to have.

This could be a game changer for them as they are the largest cruise line and this could also spread Carnival cruisers to their other cruise line brands don't you think? and could bring new ones also.

I think there is pretty much universal agreement that passengers would love the perks across the Carnival brands, but it would likely come at a cost of needing more days to reach status levels. To a degree I understand that it would be unfair to treat Carnival, Princess, & Holland America equal under the current per night system, since the pricing is different among the brands.  That would mean going to a $$$ spent system (which actually makes sense), or treating them unequally.  I'd definitely be more likely to book Princess or HAL if my loyalty rewards transferred.

There are certainly those who cruise for the perks, or at least talk like they do. The ones that say they've spent thousands of dollars for their perks. In reality, they spent thousands of dollars on cruises. The perks are just added bonuses. They get angry when those perks are sold in the form of FTTF and act like the perks are theirs and theirs alone. They get angry at free gifts because they believe they deserve something better. Carnival doesn't want brand loyalty to be based on the desire for free stuff, and they've said so in the past. But I think people like that are in the minority. I think a majority of people see the perks as an enhancement to a product they already enjoy.

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

To a degree I understand that it would be unfair to treat Carnival, Princess, & Holland America equal under the current per night system, since the pricing is different among the brands.

Recently I have found better prices on Princess & HAL than Carnival for the same itineraries. Last year we booked an Alaska cruise with Princess over Carnival because of the price and because they gave our son $100obc (Military Appreciation).  Since that cruise we booked on NCL & RCCL over Carnival.  Even with all of the cost savings cutbacks, I mean environment saving cutbacks, Carnival's claim of lowest rates in the industry doesn't holdup like it did years ago.

52 minutes ago, Steve551 said:

Recently I have found better prices on Princess & HAL than Carnival for the same itineraries. Last year we booked an Alaska cruise with Princess over Carnival because of the price and because they gave our son $100obc (Military Appreciation).  Since that cruise we booked on NCL & RCCL over Carnival.  Even with all of the cost savings cutbacks, I mean environment saving cutbacks, Carnival's claim of lowest rates in the industry doesn't holdup like it did years ago.

Well I still see Carnival as the lowest for ocean view mid ship cabins. I am sure it is not the same for everyone. The next three cruises this year pp per day. Carnival $79, Royal $84, Princess $95 The reason they are so close. None of them have any FREE perks. Any cruises offering FREE anything are usually more expensive. You are paying partially for those so called FREE perks just like NCL charges an 18% gratuity on your so called FREE drink package. Yup the drinks are free but you will pay the gratuities Drink the drinks or not. If they just charged the 18% on each drink you had that would be fine. Now, on NCL. If you do nto want the FREE drink package the price of the cruise will be much lower. Many do not know that. All other lines. FREE drinks have no added expanse. Just a higher cost for the cruise.

45 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Well I still see Carnival as the lowest for ocean view mid ship cabins. I am sure it is not the same for everyone. The next three cruises this year pp per day. Carnival $79, Royal $84, Princess $95 The reason they are so close. None of them have any FREE perks. Any cruises offering FREE anything are usually more expensive. You are paying partially for those so called FREE perks just like NCL charges an 18% gratuity on your so called FREE drink package. Yup the drinks are free but you will pay the gratuities Drink the drinks or not. If they just charged the 18% on each drink you had that would be fine. Now, on NCL. If you do nto want the FREE drink package the price of the cruise will be much lower. Many do not know that. All other lines. FREE drinks have no added expanse. Just a higher cost for the cruise.

True. But with Carnival you pay for the drink package and still pay 18% gratuity. 

As far as fare comparisons go we have a 21-day Panama Canal cruise booked with NCL on the Bliss (4/19/20-5/10/20).  We have a "Sail Away Mini-Suite". Total cost of the cruise was $3,946 for 2 of us. Of course we have to fly to NYC & home from SEA but with taxes & port fees that's about $94 per day/person. That rate is still available 🙂

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

There is no such thing as a free lunch.  

10 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Feed me Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Clean my cabin.

Have Alcohol so I can buy my drinks.

Do your best to get me to Ports we are scheduled for.

I'm Happy.

Anything else is a plus plus.

And who say you are not easy to please

All I know is this....I definitely cruise Carnival because I am platinum with about 120 days.  If they remove my status there will be no reason to continue with Carnival and I will move on, probably to MSC.  I have three cabins on the Breeze in November, so I hope they make whatever changes in time to cancel if I need to.