Loyalty levels to change

iltutcruiser

1 hour ago, Chief93 said:

All I know is this....I definitely cruise Carnival because I am platinum with about 120 days.  If they remove my status there will be no reason to continue with Carnival and I will move on, probably to MSC.  I have three cabins on the Breeze in November, so I hope they make whatever changes in time to cancel if I need to.

So.... if you keep your status your good?

10 hours ago, Chief93 said:

All I know is this....I definitely cruise Carnival because I am platinum with about 120 days.  If they remove my status there will be no reason to continue with Carnival and I will move on, probably to MSC.  I have three cabins on the Breeze in November, so I hope they make whatever changes in time to cancel if I need to.

The only reason you cruise on Carnival is because you are Platinum? What exactly is it about being Platinum that keeps you with Carnival?  I have been Platinum for awhile and actually had cruises booked with Carnival that would have gotten me to Diamond. However, for several reasons I cancelled these cruises and now have several cruises booked on Royal Carribean. There are a lot of reasons I have cruised on Carnival often and like I just mentioned several reasons why I have decided to cruise with Royal Carribean for the forseeeable future. However, being Platinum with Carnival never factored into my decision making process when booking any of these cruises. 

11 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

To say you don't like Carnival without Platinum perks, and you'll go elsewhere if they're taken away, is the same as saying you don't like the product Carnival has to offer. The product alone isn't enough to keep you there. So why keep cruising them at all?

While I would never choose a line specifically for the perks, that is part of the product they are getting.  If that changes, then it may make another line seem to be a better fit for them.  

• Like 1

Off the freedom a few weeks ago and the PD party was in the international lounge (aft lounge). While it was enjoyable the lounge was packed. All the beer (in the ice bucket) and hors d'oeurves were gone and we were only about 5 min late. We managed a glass of wine tho. Just saying i dont think this is sustainable unless they make changes to P/D levels. On the glory next week and we'll get there a few minutes early

We are Diamond. How did we become Diamond? We liked what Carnival had to offer. A lot of great cruises long before becoming Diamond. What do we like about Diamond. Mostly the vip priority when checking in. The get together with the officers is very nice. One time it was in the steak house and we had an excellent steak dinner. That was real nice. Other small perks are nice, but if we were not Diamond they would not really be missed. The chocolate covered strawberries are in dark chocolate and we do not car for dark chocolate. I always take it to the customer service desk. They give a very big smile and a thank you. We enjoy the cruises especially the Halloween cruises we do with Carnival every year. Carnival is NOT or favorite cruise line. However it is one we cruise on often.

2 hours ago, rukkian said:

While I would never choose a line specifically for the perks, that is part of the product they are getting.  If that changes, then it may make another line seem to be a better fit for them.  

Just to reiterate, that user said they only cruise Carnival because of their Platinum perks and would leave the line without them. That sounds like they're choosing the line specifically for the perks. If the product alone isn't enough to keep them cruising with Carnival, why bother staying? They're essentially saying they don't like the product, but the perks make it tolerable. Sorry, but I think it's silly to stick with a product you don't even like. From a business perspective, people like that aren't loyal to the brand, they're loyal to the free stuff the brand gives them, and that's something Carnival doesn't want.

We all start at the bottom of the ladder. Blue, Red, and Gold get little to no perks. For those of us who keep coming back to Carnival, it's not because of a free bottle of water or one free drink. It's because we like the product. It just doesn't make sense to me for anyone to stay with a cruise line if they don't like the base product.

11 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Just to reiterate, that user said they only cruise Carnival because of their Platinum perks and would leave the line without them. That sounds like they're choosing the line specifically for the perks. If the product alone isn't enough to keep them cruising with Carnival, why bother staying? They're essentially saying they don't like the product, but the perks make it tolerable. Sorry, but I think it's silly to stick with a product you don't even like. From a business perspective, people like that aren't loyal to the brand, they're loyal to the free stuff the brand gives them, and that's something Carnival doesn't want.

We all start at the bottom of the ladder. Blue, Red, and Gold get little to no perks. For those of us who keep coming back to Carnival, it's not because of a free bottle of water or one free drink. It's because we like the product. It just doesn't make sense to me for anyone to stay with a cruise line if they don't like the base product.

I didn't see that he only chooses it for the perks, just that that is what sways it in Carnival's favor.  It is a piece of the product, whether you use it or not.  If somebody values the perks (saving on FTTF and not having to try and snag it before it disappears can be a big plus for people).  I, personally don't think I would ever get to a point on any line that the perks are worth it, but it is a piece of the decision that goes into choosing a cruise for some people.  It may not be the only reason, but if that small thing is what sways them towards Carnival, then that can worth it to the company.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rukkian said:

I didn't see that he only chooses it for the perks, just that that is what sways it in Carnival's favor.

We're going to have to agree to disagree because I'm seeing something totally different. For someone to say, "All I know is this....I definitely cruise Carnival because I am platinum with about 120 days.  If they remove my status there will be no reason to continue with Carnival and I will move on," is a clear indication, to me, that they only sail the line for the perks.

14 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

You underestimate the power of a free bottle of water.

I doubt it. Yeah, there are a lot of loyalty perks out there (not just with Carnival) that keep customers coming back, but no one's spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a cruise because of a $4 bottle of water. There has to be an enjoyment for the product when the "perk" is that minuscule.

With that said, a couple years ago, a couple of execs did mention that they'd like to look for ways to give first and second-timers a little more. To Carnival, three cruises was a magic number where many of them kept returning, so they wanted to entice first & second-time cruisers to number three. Whatever their reasons, I think that would be a good move.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I doubt it. Yeah, there are a lot of loyalty perks out there (not just with Carnival) that keep customers coming back, but no one's spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on a cruise because of a $4 bottle of water. There has to be an enjoyment for the product when the "perk" is that minuscule.

All I'm saying is, I've seen some pretty wild tantrums thrown in hotel lobbies when certain elite members depending on the program don't get a free bottle of water which technically isn't even a benefit.

Why is everyone speculating on this. This rumor started in 2015 and continues to this day. 5 years of nothing and still going strong. The only changes that were made in 2015 Gold no longer can attend the VIFP party that Platinum and Diamond are invited to. Those tiers have increased in size. On some cruises they have separate parties for Platinum and separate for Diamond. I find nothing that there will be any changes added or subtracts to the tiers at all. Total speculation and talk from those that have been saying tier changes are coming.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Why is everyone speculating on this. This rumor started in 2015 and continues to this day. 5 years of nothing and still going strong. The only changes that were made in 2015 Gold no longer can attend the VIFP party that Platinum and Diamond are invited to. Those tiers have increased in size. On some cruises they have separate parties for Platinum and separate for Diamond. I find nothing that there will be any changes added or subtracts to the tiers at all. Total speculation and talk from those that have been saying tier changes are coming.

If it's true that they're bursting at the seams with Platinums, then something's gotta give sooner or later. Changes will be made to relieve some of the pressure, so to speak.

As far as non-speculative indications that changes are in the works, I read an article back in 2017 interviewing the Chief Marketing Officer at the time and a newly appointed position (I forget the title) to do with partnering with other companies and brand loyalty. I'd have to dig around the web for it. Yes, we can sit here and speculate on what we think the changes would look like, but actual changes, although not imminent, are more than just speculation.

4 hours ago, rukkian said:

I didn't see that he only chooses it for the perks, just that that is what sways it in Carnival's favor.  It is a piece of the product, whether you use it or not.  If somebody values the perks (saving on FTTF and not having to try and snag it before it disappears can be a big plus for people).  I, personally don't think I would ever get to a point on any line that the perks are worth it, but it is a piece of the decision that goes into choosing a cruise for some people.  It may not be the only reason, but if that small thing is what sways them towards Carnival, then that can worth it to the company.

That's the way I saw it too.  I think if a person likes line A and line B equally, the perks could be what tips the scales.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I have heard it directly from several Carnival officials to include officers at Diamond special events and John Heald himself on a cruise ship that they need to change the VIFP program, especially to address the large number of Diamonds and especially Platinums that increase every week. So there is no doubt in my mind Carnival is going to change their VIFP program sooner or later. The big unknown is if it will be sooner or later, although Carnival doesn’t seem in any rush to make changes. 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 9:25 PM, Organized Chaos said:

To say you don't like Carnival without Platinum perks, and you'll go elsewhere if they're taken away, is the same as saying you don't like the product Carnival has to offer. The product alone isn't enough to keep you there. So why keep cruising them at all?

No it's not. 

Simply put, I can afford one 7-8 day cruise with a balcony every year.  While I have noticed and lamented the decline in the product, it is no way a bad product.  The value for the buck remains, therefore I continue to cruise Carnival based on the price. 

We have now arrived at the point where the price is equal to other lines.  I very much value getting on and off the boat first, and having my cabin ready.  I usually fly in the day before and have been kicked out of my hotel by 1100, so it is very convenient to be on the boat by 1300.

Take away that perk, and suddenly the playing field is level with all the other lines offering the same itinerary (or better) for the same price.  It's not Carnival bashing.  It's a simple matter of economics.  With my perks, Carnival has an edge on where I spend my cruise dollars.  Without the perks that edge goes away, and the temptation to try another similarly priced products increases.

Edited by Chief93
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's the way I saw it too.  I think if a person likes line A and line B equally, the perks could be what tips the scales.

Thank you for your sane reply.

In my case I like A and have never tried B.  I've never tried B because A's perks tipped the scales.

My upcoming cruise in October will be the third time I've done the EXACT same itinerary.  Plus I've been to every port at least 2 other times on a different itinerary.  So clearly I like the product.  But...is the product on MSC better?  The ships look nice.  I enjoy walking onto a Carnival ship, it's familiar, I know where to go and what to do.  I'm not sure I want to start on the bottom of some other line's loyalty program though.  But, move me down in the one I'm in now and it doesn't look as bad.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Except that's not what the user said...at all.

53 minutes ago, Chief93 said:

Thank you for your sane reply.

In my defense, you did not go into detail in your first comment. You simply said you sail Carnival because you're Platinum and you'd go elsewhere if they took it away from you. That comment alone doesn't give off a very strong vibe that you enjoy the product. Whether you thought my reply was sane or not, I don't care, because people interpret written text differently, as seen here. With that said, I'm going to step away from beating this dead horse.

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have heard it directly from several Carnival officials to include officers at Diamond special events and John Heald himself on a cruise ship that they need to change the VIFP program, especially to address the large number of Diamonds and especially Platinums that increase every week. So there is no doubt in my mind Carnival is going to change their VIFP program sooner or later. The big unknown is if it will be sooner or later, although Carnival doesn’t seem in any rush to make changes. 

That they need to change not they are changing it.

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It isn't like they have massive benefits that cost them tons of money (though there is some opportunity costs related to FTTF and Laundry). My choice to book Carnival is largely based on trying to earn Platinum benefits, which then of course will encourage me to continue sailing Carnival since I'd have added benefits.

• Like 1

We turned Gold on our last cruise.  It will be a long while before we hit Platinum.

The Gold perks are "meh" - the Gold Pin is nice but probably boring as all get out by the fourth or fifth cruise as Gold.

The free drink is pointless for us, since we always get Cheers.

Even the free (large) bottles of water in the cabin are mildly "meh" because of Cheers - we can get a free (small) bottles of water whenever we want.

We cruise Carnival because we really enjoy the "Fun" factor.  

But I would look forward to early access to the cabin when Platinum just to unload a backpack or two.  A bit of free laundry wouldn't hurt, but we don't exactly panic about sufficiently clean clothing now.

My wife is Platinum and I'm 7 days away from it (we have a 7 day Mardi Gras cruise in November).  With that being said, if we were really really worried about status, we'd be booking only Carnival cruises.  We tend to look more at itineraries, which is why we took an NCL cruise last summer, we're taking another one this summer, and we have one booked for summer 2021.  Carnival doesn't sail very much in Europe, and that's what we're into right now.

Honestly, the only perks that make Platinum worth having are the early boarding and the free laundry.  The P/D party isn't much of a draw, especially if you already have a beverage package.