Weather in New Zealand

cruisingbarb

We are sailing 3/8 from Sydney for a cruise around New Zealand. For those of you currently on a ship or just off a ship, what was the weather like! We’ve been looking at the webcam and see overcast and raindrops on the camera lens at some of the ports. I’m in a quandary as to what to pack other than my rain jacket. I am planning on layers but should I pack shorts or is it too cool? Any help would be appreciated. 

New Zealand weather is always variable so pack those layers, rain jacket, plus a warm hat, gloves and scarf for the Fiordland scenic cruising. Auckland seems to be having lovely warm weather this week, up to 27C/80F but who know what it will be like in two weeks time. 

This is the NZ Metservice website https://www.metservice.com/?alias=home. You should be able to get a decent idea of expected temps from that before you leave. Bear in mind it could be cooler there further south you go.

We just got off our cruise in Auckland.  I agree that you should pack for a variety of weather.  Weather was much cooler than we anticipated, but as posted previously, quite variable. On the cruise 14 days and only one day could have been bathing suit weather.  But two days prior to boarding in Sydney, it was 100 degrees. Thankfully that was the one time when my overpacking instincts helped me out!

Catherine 

What would you suggest for a jacket? My friend is packing her puffy jacket which I thought would be too warm but now I am rethinking it. We have booked the overnight tour from Milford Sound to Dunedin so won’t be on the top deck going through the Sounds, unless the tour gets cancelled due to weather. 

Any rhoughts? 

2 hours ago, cruisingbarb said:

What would you suggest for a jacket? My friend is packing her puffy jacket which I thought would be too warm but now I am rethinking it. We have booked the overnight tour from Milford Sound to Dunedin so won’t be on the top deck going through the Sounds, unless the tour gets cancelled due to weather. 

Any rhoughts? 

We went to the Sounds in November '18, it rained and was quite cold to start the day. As we entered Milford Sound, we were on our balcony and I had on my puffer jacket with hood, scarf and gloves. The gloves were removed as I found it to hard to take photos. By late morning up on deck we had removed layers but later in day, jacket and scarf were back on. If you can pack your jacket without too much trouble, I would take it. 

Leigh

There is no point in asking about weather conditions recently in NZ.

When you cruise it could be 100% different.

See attached - morning in Milford Sound on Noordam & same afternoon just after leaving the 3rd Sound passing Maasdam.

1-Noordam Milford Sound.JPG

4-Maasdam off S. NZ.JPG

We will be cruising New Zealand and the sounds mid March 14, 15 arriving first in Sydney on March 9th.  We will be watching the weather network but we always pack in layers.  Should the weather be warm, we always have a pair of gym shorts (mainly for the gym, but perfectly fine for walking about in should we encounter warmer weather) during the cruise.  Hat, gloves, scarf, puffer jacket and rain jacket always with us as when we leave Canada, it is cold and we still need to be warm as we travel to the airport.  Also, an umbrella is a must.  

15 hours ago, cruisingbarb said:

Any rhoughts? 

I always take a fleece and a rain jacket that will fit over it. That way I can layer to suit the conditions.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:39 PM, cruisingbarb said:

We are sailing 3/8 from Sydney for a cruise around New Zealand. For those of you currently on a ship or just off a ship, what was the weather like! We’ve been looking at the webcam and see overcast and raindrops on the camera lens at some of the ports. I’m in a quandary as to what to pack other than my rain jacket. I am planning on layers but should I pack shorts or is it too cool? Any help would be appreciated. 

I’m glad you asked this question, I’m packing for this cruise also!  Sounds like we don’t need much in the shorts/swimsuit department.  I have a rain jacket and wind shirt, now I’m thinking I’ll throw in a fleece vest also.  

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the February 17th cruise...Auckland to Melbourne...we were in shorts for 1/2 the time...some days started overcast but quickly became warm and sunny....short sleeves with a lightweight fleece all weather jacket....used earmuffs for the windy morning in the sounds...crazy weather...

• 3 months later...