New travel recommendations from CDC

Gray Eagle02

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Jackie, for your edification, this is just one of many reports:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/11-chinese-migrants-found-hiding-inside-furniture-moving/story?id=67620551

Marc

Interesting article but not about coronavirus.  Having lived in Los Angeles for 50 years, I used to see these type of articles all the time.

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Nope - was not me.  My long post was about the disinfectant wipes that we use and the viruses that it kills.  I "got" the joke immediately and appreciated the lighthearted humor!

See Post #21 on Page 1 of this thread.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Nothing to do with coronavirus but everything to do with closing the southern border.  I guess we lived in LA same time; I was there 58 - 74.

Marc

We were there from 52 - 2002.  We lived in the San Fernando Valley most of that time.

Okay - off topic.  Back to the negativity!

21 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

That isn't the post that I was referring to., however, in that case I did not "get it".  Will try to find the one that I was referring to.

Too many pages to go through.  The joke had to do with Veuve Clicquot.

Mudhen:  If you are there, did you make that post?  I ask because it sounds like you🍾

Update:  After the death of a person with coronavirus yesterday, lines outside of Costco are around the block.  Panic buying is in full swing.  If it hasn't occurred where you live yet, you may want to stock up (this does not mean hoarding) some canned goods - just in case you are unable to go to the store for a month or so.We have enough cat food and non-perishable items to last approximately that long.  

Here's something of interest I copied and paste.  Maybe it's for you or not, just FIY: From SF New

A DOCTOR ADVISES DOCTORS RE THE CORONAVIRUS:

"Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources. 

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April. 

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove. 

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts. 

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been. 

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth. 

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available. 

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Update:  After the death of a person with coronavirus yesterday, lines outside of Costco are around the block.  Panic buying is in full swing.  If it hasn't occurred where you live yet, you may want to stock up (this does not mean hoarding) some canned goods - just in case you are unable to go to the store for a month or so.We have enough cat food and non-perishable items to last approximately that long.  

Really?? Wow, things are really getting out of hand. Why doesnt the press report in the same breathless tone a daily countdown of people that die from the flu ? (CDC estimates in the current season as many as 46,000 deaths in the USA). Why is there no panic buying caused by the flu? Could it be because this Coronavirus is being drummed incessantly by the media , day in day out, whereas the flu isn't? What am I supposed to stock up? Water? Food? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Too many pages to go through.  The joke had to do with Veuve Clicquot.

Mudhen:  If you are there, did you make that post?  I ask because it sounds like you🍾

No it wasn't me, but I did respond to whomever posted the Clicquot cure....haha!

I did appreciate a little humor in this otherwise dire thread....

Rick, thank you much for posting that article. Good to know that some of us are already doing these things (and I hope other posters will follow suit.

Maria, agree with everything that you posted.  We already had enough canned and boxed soups but purchased cans of tuna, various beans for chili and other dishes. Also purchased extra pasta - we have stuff for sauces.  Had not thought of water. We have great water but have no clue if our water sources will be affected.  We also have meat and chicken so no need to purchase more.. 

I was able to order more gloves (thick nitrile) This week at Amazon and found generic hand sanitizer at Walmart.  We have masks. Amazon is gouging prices. The box of disinfecting wipes was also from Amazon - there were about 180 large wipes in a bag. I have decanted them into medium plastic slider bags

I would do one shopping with things that you and your husband can eat at home for up to a month.  Then try to find items that can be used for protection. 

For some reason this is easier than packing for the cruise. I’m purchasing things that we always purchase (alleviating perishable items since we will be on vacation.

at this point I prefer not to go to stores or restaurants likely because want to keep ourselves ultra healthy for our upcoming cruise. We get pet food from Chewy. They have good prices, 2 days free shipping with a $50 order. The free shipping includes heavy cases of food as well very heavy cat litter boxes

hope some of these ideas work for you..

Mudhen I have to think of who likes that champagne as much as we do. It was a funny post. Now that It is almost time for you to wake up, it it time for bed. 

On Monday we’ll learn challenges for the weeK.  Hope that you all have a safe and healthy week

That article was VERY interesting - thank you ronrick.   

This morning I heard that our parliamentarians (who start their spring session today) have been instructed not to shake hands and not to kiss each other.  In a culture where everyone shakes hands and most people kiss twice or even three times this is quite a statement.  Wise I think!

I am off to find more wipes and some disposable gloves.  Had not thought of those!!

Disinfect car keys - maybe not one's own but certainly rental car keys...  Pens used to sign CC slips ??  We haven't signed a CC slip for more than 10 years here.  Don't tell me the US is still using signatures and not machines with PINs ?  If I do have to sign though I shall certainly use my own pen.  Thanks for the warning!!

If it is any reassurance -- Ken went to buy some more wipes this morning and they are out of stock!  To be fair, there weren't many on the shelf when I bought ours 10 days ago.

You can keep up to date on cases here. 
I'm with the rest of you, don't panic BUT be prepared. 😊
Yes........ I am prepared. 
Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0-icSuO0h1c6H8L-1zsWBQAe8d-2z_V7JVNtU3We1vjP6M8uxFItxvajQ#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

12 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

I don't understand the repetitive posts about people panicking nor what the posts have to do with this Regent board.  As for buying recommended supplies, the bottom line is that in the face of uncertain circumstances in a potential epidemic if everyone purchases what is recommended then, yes, there may well be shortages.  But purchasing recommended supplies is not the same as panicking. 

As an example, last year in California there were warnings about electricity blackouts that might last several days.  People went out and purchased generators, and guess, what?  Many stores ran out of generators.  So is reasonable to say that people panicked and bought too many generators?  I don't think so. 

And yes, I'm sure some people will purchase more of something than they really need.  But without concrete examples of this among Regent travelers, I don't understand the relevance of the issue to Regent or this board.

There is tremendous uncertainty about lots of issues related to travel right now.  The virus is clearly spreading worldwide. Health officials continue to warn about the spread of the virus to new areas.  More quarantines and ship schedule changes are possible in parts of the world.  Many large meetings are being cancelled in cities.  So if someone decides that under the circumstances it would be less anxiety-provoking to stay home, that is not an example of someone panicking.  

You’ve explained this very well. Besides, no one on these boards is qualified (other than in their own mind) to say what others should or shouldn’t buy, who’s panicking and who isn’t, who should and shouldn’t travel.

8 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Really?? Wow, things are really getting out of hand. Why doesnt the press report in the same breathless tone a daily countdown of people that die from the flu ? (CDC estimates in the current season as many as 46,000 deaths in the USA). Why is there no panic buying caused by the flu? Could it be because this Coronavirus is being drummed incessantly by the media , day in day out, whereas the flu isn't? What am I supposed to stock up? Water? Food? 

At first, I thought you were saying that the Coronavirus was getting out of hand, given it is a global epidemic that is close to becoming a global pandemic. But no, evidently you think that there’s too much of a big deal being made of it because the flu is kinda bad too. Wow.

Practically every article I read on the coronavirus mentions the flu infection and death rates.  Here's one article that, from a layperson's point of view, does a good job of putting the two viruses in the context of one another:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/does-coronavirus-compare-flu-171248744.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

At first, I thought you were saying that the Coronavirus was getting out of hand, given it is a global epidemic that is close to becoming a global pandemic. But no, evidently you think that there’s too much of a big deal being made of it because the flu is kinda bad too. Wow.

that’s not how I read the post. There are very real downsides to a media-induced panic over Coronavirus. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

that’s not how I read the post. There are very real downsides to a media-induced panic over Coronavirus. 

Could not agree with you more.  

Since we are all concerned, if any of you have Phone Soap (a sanitizing device), in addition to sanitizing your phones, you can put your car keys in it and sanitize them (or any item that will fit).  If you are not familiar with Phone Soap, here is their website https://www.phonesoap.com

Edited by Travelcat2

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thanks for this update.  Those located near the outbreaks in Washington State are in our thoughts.  Certainly hope that the situation near you is OK and that you'll be able to proceed on your upcoming cruise without any issues. 

2 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Thanks for this update.  Those located near the outbreaks in Washington State are in our thoughts.  Certainly hope that the situation near you is OK and that you'll be able to proceed on your upcoming cruise without any issues. 

I'm now using the over-used phrase due to "an abundance caution", we are avoiding crowded areas, restaurants, etc.  In plain English, the cruise is important to us and we simply need to get the heck "out of Dodge" (American slang).  Actually, at this moment, the virus is active about 90 miles south of where we live.   I am alerting people because the run on groceries can happen overnight.

Gerry - if your car keys are not placed on tables or anywhere else where they are germs, you likely do not have to disinfect them.  I tend to misplace my keys once a day - sometimes a cat has pushed them onto the floor (too frequently) so I feel better spending 30 seconds to disinfect them (at least during this crisis).  In terms of pens (this was brought up on our neighborhood website), there are many instances where we use "pens" (or electronic pens).  When I go to the bank to get small bills for tips on our cruises, I need to sign for the money.  When I go to pick up Sudafed (a controlled over-the-counter drug for allergies), I sign an electronic device with an electronic pens.  I also sign for Fed-X and various other things.  We live in a small community with some "Mom and Pop" restaurants that still use paper to sign.  In any case, I'll use a wipe to sign electronically and a pen to sign other things.

Doing everything that we can so that we can see both of you a week from Saturday!

Jackie

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Yeah, that's my opinion. And the flu is not just "kinda bad too", tell that to the thousands of people in the USA that die in a year, yet we're not panicking

• Like 1

Well, we're outside of Tampa at this time of year, and I've never been the hand-sanitizer type, although I do wash my hands a lot.  It just occurred to me that my local Walgreen's is probably going to be having a run on hand-sanitizer with these two covid-19 cases reported in Tampa. And zinc lozenges.

But we're going to two baseball games this week, and going out to restaurants as usual.  But I will check the Walgreen's next time I shop.  I don't anticipate stockpiling food, however.

We are both in our 70's, with various compromises from various ailments.  I've read one article that stated the morbidity rate for this demographic as high as 9%.  I also read a doctor in China recommending drinking lots of hot water; he said that it would kill the virus.  I'll take that with a grain of..., ah, zinc!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer