Can we rent a driver in Tahiti for a day? Recommendation?

Gracelyn

17 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

We had planned on renting a car but have decided not to. We are looking for a service with a car and driver to drive the island. Stop here and there and just enjoy the scenery. Is this odd? Or possible?

gracelyn

It is very possible 🙂 We like Yota Tahiti but I'm certain many others will chime in with their experiences with excellent drivers/tours. Tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309679-d14214402-Reviews-YOTA_TAHITI-Tahiti_Society_Islands.html.

Website https://yotatahiti.com/index.php/en/

29 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

It is very possible 🙂 We like Yota Tahiti but I'm certain many others will chime in with their experiences with excellent drivers/tours. Tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309679-d14214402-Reviews-YOTA_TAHITI-Tahiti_Society_Islands.html.

Website https://yotatahiti.com/index.php/en/

Thank you. I’m looking at his site to see what our options can be. We really just want to stop and go. Snorkel somewhere and sit back. This may work if we had him to ourselves. 

2 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

Thank you. I’m looking at his site to see what our options can be. We really just want to stop and go. Snorkel somewhere and sit back. This may work if we had him to ourselves. 

Don't know what size ship you're on but if it's one of the larger ones and you want a private tour (Yota does them) I would book soon. Even the tours with 6 passengers tend to sell out fast.

51 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Don't know what size ship you're on but if it's one of the larger ones and you want a private tour (Yota does them) I would book soon. Even the tours with 6 passengers tend to sell out fast.

None available. Thanks tho 

Edited by Gracelyn
Spelling

6 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I wouldn't think about snorkelling on Tahiti.  There really isn't anywhere.  Get your driver to take you as far as Tautira - the best coastal scenery and a glimpse of what Tahiti was like 100 years ago.  Robert Louis Stevenson lived there before he moved to Samoa. 

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I wouldn't think about snorkelling on Tahiti.  There really isn't anywhere.  Get your driver to take you as far as Tautira - the best coastal scenery and a glimpse of what Tahiti was like 100 years ago.  Robert Louis Stevenson lived there before he moved to Samoa. 

Thank you for that advise still searching for a driver or a tour with loose plans

gracely

13 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

We had planned on renting a car but have decided not to. We are looking for a service with a car and driver to drive the island. Stop here and there and just enjoy the scenery. Is this odd? Or possible?

gracelyn

Not sure why you decided against renting a car.  If you cannot find a driver, I would recommend renting a car.  We rented from Avis in downtown Papeete. Easy coming and going.  Took about 1/2 day to go around the island with multiple stops. Good road with good mile markers.  Just have a guide book that gives you the mile markers of the sights that you want to see so that you do not miss the turnoffs. There is quite a bit of traffic in Papeete, but easy to get out and back to the rental office. Little traffic around the island. We also rented in Bora Bora and Raiatea since we were at all the islands twice.  The Bora Bora office is right at the tender dock and at Raiatea, they picked us up at the dock.

53 minutes ago, salmn said:

Not sure why you decided against renting a car.  If you cannot find a driver, I would recommend renting a car.  We rented from Avis in downtown Papeete. Easy coming and going.  Took about 1/2 day to go around the island with multiple stops. Good road with good mile markers.  Just have a guide book that gives you the mile markers of the sights that you want to see so that you do not miss the turnoffs. There is quite a bit of traffic in Papeete, but easy to get out and back to the rental office. Little traffic around the island. We also rented in Bora Bora and Raiatea since we were at all the islands twice.  The Bora Bora office is right at the tender dock and at Raiatea, they picked us up at the dock.

We are seriously looking into renting for the day   What is closer to manava resort, Papeete or airport to rent? 

Edited by Gracelyn

10 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

We are seriously looking into renting for the day   What is closer to manava resort, Papeete or airport to rent? 

The Manava would be closer to the airport than downtown, but if you are staying at the Manava, it looks like Avis has an on-site rental office at the Manava in Punaauia.

9 minutes ago, salmn said:

The Manava would be closer to the airport than downtown, but if you are staying at the Manava, it looks like Avis has an on-site rental office at the Manava in Punaauia.

9 minutes ago, salmn said:

T does. But it’s a small compact manual. We are 4 people, driver very tall and won’t fit. It’s the only car they rent via Avis 

31 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

T does. But it’s a small compact manual. We are 4 people, driver very tall and won’t fit. It’s the only car they rent via Avis 

Have a wonderful idea for you Gracelyn. As mentioned earlier snorkeling is not good in Tahiti but there is a highly rated snorkel trip about 2 min drive from Manava at Marina Taina. (see Google map). The excursion is Tahiti Lagoon Paradise, and the operator goes to areas not accessible from shore.

Here's the review on Tripadvisor- rated #1.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g309679-d10118825-r488917667-Tahiti_Lagoon_Paradise-Tahiti_Society_Islands.html

We're doing the Turtles and Shipwrecks tour in April. It's a 5 passenger boat. The price was pretty steep but we were able to talk him into $100pp.

Edited by Petoonya

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Have a wonderful idea for you Gracelyn. As mentioned earlier snorkeling is not good in Tahiti but there is a highly rated snorkel trip about 2 min drive from Manava at Marina Taina. (see Google map). The excursion is Tahiti Lagoon Paradise, and the operator goes to areas not accessible from shore.

Here's the review on Tripadvisor- rated #1.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g309679-d10118825-r488917667-Tahiti_Lagoon_Paradise-Tahiti_Society_Islands.html

We're doing the Turtles and Shipwrecks tour in April. It's a 5 passenger boat. The price was pretty steep but we were able to talk him into $100pp.

Ohhhhhhhh....that sounds wonderful! Going to look at that now THANKS

Has anyone ever rented a car in downtown Papeete and dropped off at the airport? Our Wind Spirit cruise has us disembarking at 9:00am and our flight home is not until 8:00pm. There will be 4 of us and I want to spend that last day of vacation driving around Tahiti. It would be easier to get an earlier start if we don't have to go to the airport to pick up the car.

With 4 people sharing the cost of the rental we would get a larger vehicle so as to have a place to keep the luggage for the day.

It's done all the time   ..... I do it every trip. 

You can have Avis pick you up at the ship/security area or Hertz will do the same.

Avis is within walking distance if you want to have someone from your group walk up to the office and then bring the car back but you will need to do temp parking probably next door next to the ferry terminal which is all of 200 feet from the ships. 

Temp parking is circled in yellow ..

Avis where yellow pointer is

Hertz is circled 

parking.JPG

ships.JPG

• Thanks 1