Spirit of Discovery - any current onboard reports re Norovirus?

Harry Peterson

every ship I have been on there have been people with gastric upsets.

In many cases they are caused by changes of diet rather than anything suspicious, so in mild cases just taking over the counter remedies and carrying on would be a reasonable response as these are rarely highly contagious.

Norovirus and the associated rotavirus bugs, which are highly contagious, usually cause quite a severe response - immodium would not work, and projectile vomiting (sorry) is pretty noticeable.

So if people are actually able to keep things under control well enough to be out and about, they almost certainly have something a lot less unpleasant than norovirus, which in turn should mean that your cruise will be fine.

Previous experience with Saga is that the standard of cleaning is good, and they keep outbreaks of anything under control - which is why I am so puzzled that it has got so out of hand on this new ship.

back to the subject heading... I hear that as of yesterday (10th March) situation has not improved, still pretty much all facilities closed and bug still present. ++Norovirus/gastric - not coronavirus+

The SoD is expected to return to Southampton am on 14th and depart as scheduled (15th) for her next cruise, so looks as if a proper deep clean may get carried out this time. Hope they also give the crew an extended break, as they must surely need it.

Edited by nosapphire
clarify