Going to Bermuda for 1 day -- probably too cold to swim, WWYD?

Kfamilycruise

Hey CC. My family and I are taking the Escape to Bermuda for 1 day -- really more for relaxing days then to visit a port, but excited to go to Bermuda for the first time. I'm not convinced we'll be able to get into the water in early April though -- although my kids might. I was thinking we would take the minibus to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Thoughts on alternatives that the kids would enjoy yet doesn't require getting in the water?

Thanks in advance!

42 minutes ago, Kfamilycruise said:

I'm not convinced we'll be able to get into the water in early April though -- although my kids might.

The water temperature is going to be hovering around 70 degrees-- too cold for us but we've seen some brave it that early. Air temps will be in the mid to low 70s which will be nice-- you miss the humidity you get in the summer months. 

43 minutes ago, Kfamilycruise said:

I was thinking we would take the minibus to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Thoughts on alternatives that the kids would enjoy yet doesn't require getting in the water?

While Horseshoe is a beautiful beach, there will not be much to do unless you plan on swimming or sunbathing. An alternative might be to take the ferry to Hamilton and walk around town for a bit-- theres the Ocean Discovery Center and Fort Hamilton which might interest the kids. Then in the afternoon take a quick taxi ride over to Elbow Beach where there is a full service restaurant and beach bar. Or you could go past Elbow and head over to Horseshoe for a couple hours. 

Another option would be to head to St Georges and check out the caves-- something that kids enjoy. Little bit more travel involved in this as it's the opposite side of the island. The Aquarium is also out this way. 

1 hour ago, Kfamilycruise said:

Hey CC. My family and I are taking the Escape to Bermuda for 1 day -- really more for relaxing days then to visit a port, but excited to go to Bermuda for the first time. I'm not convinced we'll be able to get into the water in early April though -- although my kids might. I was thinking we would take the minibus to Horseshoe Bay Beach. Thoughts on alternatives that the kids would enjoy yet doesn't require getting in the water?

Thanks in advance!

I think April is too cold for swimming. YMMV. Where are you from? As for alternatives to the beach there are plenty but first what day of the week? What day in April? No ferries to St. George until April 13. No ferries to St. George’s on the weekend. Some  things are not open yet in early April. 

Edited by Charles4515

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I think April is too cold for swimming. YMMV. Where are you from? As for alternatives to the beach there are plenty but first what day of the week? What day in April? No ferries to St. George until April 13. No ferries to St. George’s on the weekend. Some  things are not open yet in early April. 

Thank you both for your responses. We'll be there Thursday, April 9th I think so no ferries. We're from Asheville, NC now, Maryland before -- so the kids may enjoy the beach still, but definitely a no for me.

If the ferry isn't going because of time of year, are there other alternatives?

1 hour ago, Kfamilycruise said:

Thank you both for your responses. We'll be there Thursday, April 9th I think so no ferries. We're from Asheville, NC now, Maryland before -- so the kids may enjoy the beach still, but definitely a no for me.

The weather in Bermuda is similar to the Carolinas. That should give you an idea. I live in Maryland and it would be too cold for me to swim April 9. But a disclaimer, I find it too cold to swim in Bermuda in early May.

Ferries run to Hamilton all year so taking a ferry over there is an option. You can walk around there or take a bus or taxi to other attractions. A bus or Taxi to the Zoo/Aquarium  is doable. Another option is a taxi tour from the Dockyard. On a taxi tour you could get to see some of the beaches without doing a beach. 

16 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The weather in Bermuda is similar to the Carolinas. That should give you an idea. I live in Maryland and it would be too cold for me to swim April 9. But a disclaimer, I find it too cold to swim in Bermuda in early May.

Ferries run to Hamilton all year so taking a ferry over there is an option. You can walk around there or take a bus or taxi to other attractions. A bus or Taxi to the Zoo/Aquarium  is doable. Another option is a taxi tour from the Dockyard. On a taxi tour you could get to see some of the beaches without doing a beach. 

Wonderful, thanks. And I understand taxis that give tours have a blue card or flag or something to differentiate themselves from other taxis? Do you know how much they tend to cost pp?

31 minutes ago, Kfamilycruise said:

Wonderful, thanks. And I understand taxis that give tours have a blue card or flag or something to differentiate themselves from other taxis? Do you know how much they tend to cost pp?

The blue flag drivers have a blue ID badge. That means they have taken a class and passed at test.  At the Dockyard there has been a designated zone for finding the island taxi tours. They have divided up the area between the two docks into zones. Assuming no changes this year the taxi tour drivers would be to be found in zone 3. There are signs. Taxi rates are regulated by the Bermuda government. The rate for taxi tours is by the hour. If you have 1-4 people it is $50 an hour. For 5-7 the hourly rate is $70 an hour. There is a three hour minimum. 

As for the map below they been known to tweak in between seasons so I can’t guarantee that will be the exact location. 

C1C7F3CC-1CAF-4A07-B0FD-69462162CF8B.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, Kfamilycruise said:

There's the public bus.