Vintage car tours in Napier

Blackduck59

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, I went several pages back and didn't really find what I wanted to know.

I have seen several different companies offering the vintage car tours of the Art Deco town and wineries in the area. 

Has anyone taken these tours and if so which tour compny did you use? I understand these tours are priced "by the car" as opposed to per person. They say max 4 passengers, but I think max is 3 comfortable. I doubt there are many vintage cars where 3 people will fit comfortably across the seat.

Any first hand experience would help us choose who we would like to book with.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Lyle

Edited by Blackduck59

We recently visited the charming port of Napier and did not take any of the vintage car tours (we did the Hawkes Bay Express Train - delightful!) however, we spent the afternoon in the area and saw many vintage cars - many are parked across from the i-Site Visitor Centre where are ship shuttle (Regatta) dropped us off.  Our observation is that 4 in the rear seat looked somewhat tight; it was a warm day, so not sure if 4 together was ideal. 

p.s. you will need lots of sunscreen as most vintage cars we saw were convertibles.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2020 at 3:14 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, I went several pages back and didn't really find what I wanted to know.

I have seen several different companies offering the vintage car tours of the Art Deco town and wineries in the area. 

Has anyone taken these tours and if so which tour compny did you use? I understand these tours are priced "by the car" as opposed to per person. They say max 4 passengers, but I think max is 3 comfortable. I doubt there are many vintage cars where 3 people will fit comfortably across the seat.

Any first hand experience would help us choose who we would like to book with.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Lyle

Did you try TripAdvisor Lyle, for reviews?

We are leaning towards the tours by the Art Deco Society, we have been in touch with them and got a price for a couple of wineries. Those tour seemed to focus on the wineries and less on the art deco town. I enjoy a nice winery tour and tasting but I can get that just a few hours away in my home province. An art deco town on the other hand, not so much. I have been on trip advisor and will look again. One of the thing I like is to hear from locals who know their town and the operators; local knowledge is a good thing.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are leaning towards the tours by the Art Deco Society, we have been in touch with them and got a price for a couple of wineries. Those tour seemed to focus on the wineries and less on the art deco town. I enjoy a nice winery tour and tasting but I can get that just a few hours away in my home province. An art deco town on the other hand, not so much. I have been on trip advisor and will look again. One of the thing I like is to hear from locals who know their town and the operators; local knowledge is a good thing.

Can you squeeze in a land trip to  Queenstown it’s pretty good.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The main part of the town, where most of the art deco buildings are, is easily walkable. You can get a map from the iSite information centre where the shuttle buses drop off. There are also walking tours and you can probably join one of those on the day.

Thanks Flyingron, Gotta love those Packards. We are really leaning towards the Art Deco Trust I like that some of the money gprs to the trust. We are really hopeful that the current world crisis passes soon and we can be cheerful in the planning for our trip next January/February.