Cruises for Singles Meat Markets?

Sandra1616

Hi there,

When I think of cruises for singles, (not people going solo) I think of cruises and the destinations as back drops for singles looking for partners for quick sex and possibly good partners.  I visualize hoards of eager singles making advances on singles they find attractive, who respond by dodging these advances or visiting cabins and making quick changes of clothing before finding someone else, then singles on the prowl again.  Am I right?  Sandra

Edited by Sandra1616
Clarity

On 2/22/2020 at 11:43 PM, Sandra1616 said:

I visualize hoards of eager singles making advances on singles they find attractive, who respond by dodging these advances or visiting cabins and making quick changes of clothing before finding someone else

Not really, sort-of, maybe sometimes.

You make it sound like some kind of Peppy-La-Peux cartoon, which it definitely is not.

There are dances and cocktail parties and excursions and dinners together. There are those that want to hook up, and those that don't or aren't sure. But regardless of intent, it's mature adults acting respectfully. And generally speaking, those that do hook up tend to either stick with each other as couples for the remainder of the trip, or remain low-key and you wouldn't even know they were together.

Also, regardless of whether you hooked up or not, you make a lot of friends who you keep in touch with afterwards, and will very likely go to reunions and side trips with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Definitely NOT!  I cruise single because I'm not in a relationship and find myself good company!  I enjoy doing what I want to when I want to.  Sometimes MDR is a bit intimidating but not usually. Many times I'll be seated at a table solo and next table guests will start asking when my SO is coming in. They are amazed a woman would cruise alone for some reason. Only bad part is no one's food to taste if you had a partner with you! 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It may depend on your age as I don't know if there's that many people say past 45 looking strictly for uh something casual and fun. I went on a Caribbean cruise with friends in my early 20s. Met a ton of 20somethings and there definitely was a lot of "hooking up" going on. This was on a NCL ship before they became solo cruiser friendly. I went on 2 Alaskan cruises solo also on NCL. Neither had solo cabins. The first time I did meet someone and kept in touch with him after the cruise for a little bit (yeah we probably would have dated if we lived near each other). I met him in a hot tub. At the time I was too shy to go to the solo cruiser events. The last time was last year. I did go to the solo cruisers hosted meets and overall had a good time. There was someone I was crushing on, but he wasn't interested lol. 

I think generally if you show your face constantly at night in the clubs, you will probably meet someone just for fun. I just don't really do the club thing as I've never liked the atmosphere of them. 

• 1 month later...

"It may depend on your age as I don't know if there's that many people say past 45 looking strictly for uh something casual and fun."

Well.... as to that...

If you just go on a cruise by yourself (solo cruising), yes, you're probably right. Not much hooking up.

But this thread was about Singles Cruises, which are organized group travel for people who are single, and a significant proportion, if not the majority, are over 40. That's a bit different. There are a lot of people who might be concerned that if they go on one of these trips it will be all about hooking up. It's not ALL about hooking up, it's more about making friends. But there is hooking up. More than just going on a cruise by yourself and hanging out at the nightclub.

• 1 year later...

I had a good chuckle at this question, @Sandra1616. I went on a MSC cruise as a single mom with my three kids a few years ago. They saw in the Daily newsletter that there was a Single Meet and Greet and encouraged me to go. I thought, sure, what the heck? Well!! It was so funny because only ONE other person showed up! He was probably about 70 years old - and I was 50. He was very sweet and talked the whole time about how much he missed his late wife. I think it would have been great if I could have met someone more my age to have a drink with or go to the gym or something. Maybe next time?!

• 1 year later...

Hoards of singles...no, and I have been on an Atlantis cruise. I can only share my personal experience as a single dad of 2 sons, I am a bodybuilder so that has to be taken into the equation.. I will divide this up into 3 classes, because that is how I distinguish cruise lines.

Inexpensive- Yes on these short 3/4 night cruises out of ANY Florida port, on day 2 it can begin to feel a  bit meat market like, but I have found if you hold firm, be polite, most will leave you alone. Most people on vacation are a bit friendlier  than they might usually be, they might drink a bit more, but if you stay firm and say you are just wanting to enjoy this short time away from  work, they will leave you be.
Now if you want to not be left alone? Going swimming instead of going to see a show after dinner, it really does work.

Mainstream-This can be hot or miss, depending on the length of the cruise or the departure port. I am a gym rat, I train hard, I relax hard. By day 2 if you want to get picked up spend some time in the thermal area of the Spa, you know those heated ceramic lounges? They should have a sign on them says Please Bother me Even though I look like I am Sleeping. Or in the Solarium. I find on these cruises, it is durning dinner that things can get akward, After getting to know each others table mates you might feel pressured into taking an excursion with someone or they will tell you about bar or a restaurant in a certain port. It can be akward relizing you have to politly keep saying no while you have an hour left to eat. Its hit or miss, I have met some really cool men and women at dinner, and sometimes you click and things work out fine. Bars are always worse after 10 in my opinion on these
cruises.

Luxury - If you really want to be left alone, these cruises are for you. You will meet mostly freindly couples, who have saved up a long time for this cruise, and its more couples orientated. I have still met or been "adopted" by some amazing couples or sometimes groups of freinds on a cruise and Have never had a bad experience on these ships. If you are looking for a wild time luxury cruises will not be for you.

Any questions just email me ,

Mitch

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 8:43 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there,

When I think of cruises for singles, (not people going solo) I think of cruises and the destinations as back drops for singles looking for partners for quick sex and possibly good partners.  I visualize hoards of eager singles making advances on singles they find attractive, who respond by dodging these advances or visiting cabins and making quick changes of clothing before finding someone else, then singles on the prowl again.  Am I right?  Sandra

Don't know if you're right or not, Sandra, but it sounds like a lot of fun.  Just kidding.  Seems to me that the result of finding someone attractive would be a nice long conversation over  dinner together, or teaming up for a shore excursion.  The quick sex thing isn't the only reason people want to get together.  At least not the ones I'd find attractive.