Favourite Dessert on Cruises

Sandra1616

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When was the last time I actually interacted with the MDR's Maitre d'?  Coral Princess in August, 2019.  And that was because I kept being assigned to tables during second seating when no one else showed up.  (Service at such tables was truly great, however!)

rkacruiser,

Our interaction with the MDR Maitre d is actually and truly honest on each and every sailing.

Having a Culinary Background education and exposure may have helped with our interactions.

The last sailing we were happy to have had a Flambe each dinner dessert and 3 out of 7 days a Tableside Entree since the other choices were too good to have passed up.

MDR Maitre d do enjoy interacting with passengers and display their talent and encourages other passenger to try Tableside.

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Our interaction with the MDR Maitre d is actually and truly honest on each and every sailing.

If I remember correctly, you indicated that you were in the Club Britannia section of the Britannia Restaurant.  Correct?  Was the "MDR Maitre d'" the Maitre d' for the Britannia Restaurant or the Maitre d' for the Club Britannia section?  I am just curious.  

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If I remember correctly, you indicated that you were in the Club Britannia section of the Britannia Restaurant.  Correct?  Was the "MDR Maitre d'" the Maitre d' for the Britannia Restaurant or the Maitre d' for the Club Britannia section?  I am just curious.  

The Club Britannia is now divided into two dining rooms. One on the port side by Elevator D behind the Britannia Restaurant. And there is a second dining room on the starboard side by D. That one was part of the Britannia Restaurant till they added Deck 13 Cabins on the refit.

To answer your question, the Maitre d' was assigned to the tables in the Club specifically. We were on the Port Side dining room. There are approx. 20 tables in that area. The rolling Flambe Table was outside the dining room. It was easy to get the ingredients for the different dishes since the DR's were just outside of the Port Side rear Kitchen Doors.

When we were served by the Maitre d' in the Britannia Restaurant in the earlier days, the Flambe table was by the alternate entrance of the restaurant under the Upper Staircase.  

12 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

When we were served by the Maitre d' in the Britannia Restaurant in the earlier days, the Flambe table was by the alternate entrance of the restaurant under the Upper Staircase.  

Thank you for answering my question.  When I sailed on QM2, Club Britannia did not exist.  The table that I had in the Britannia Restaurant was a round 6 top by a window near that alternate entrance to the Restaurant.  We had a good view of the guests descending into the Restaurant on that staircase.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2020 at 7:31 PM, gator489 said:

I love the Grand Marnier Souffle on Celebrity - it is so delicious!

It so depends on the ship's Chefs as to how successful souffle's are, in my opinion.  Don't recall having a souffle on Celebrity Eclipse, but have ordered such on both HAL and Carnival ships.  Most have been enjoyable.  One souffle that I ordered in the Pinnacle Grill on a HAL ship was so disappointing that I stopped eating it after a few spoonfuls.  

• 10 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:23 AM, roomba920 said:

Pavlova

Well made, yes, it's a good dessert.

Sometimes, something simple makes a good dessert as well.  I like to sample the cookies that are offered in the buffet restaurants.  Often, the assortments are near the ice cream station.  Holiday cruises always have holiday cookies--Gingerbread Men, etc.--that are always so good.  

Sometimes, a very simple dessert satisfies the most.  HAL once served Haagen Daz ice cream at their Ice Cream Station in the Lido Restaurant.  I discovered a Coconut Pineapple flavor there that I search for at my grocers now.  Sometimes, I am successful in finding the ice cream.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Sometimes, a very simple dessert satisfies the most.  HAL once served Haagen Daz ice cream at their Ice Cream Station in the Lido Restaurant.  I discovered a Coconut Pineapple flavor there that I search for at my grocers now.  Sometimes, I am successful in finding the ice cream.  

We recently came back from a vacation in the Hudson Valley, a place we go for the last 42 years, and they introduced Basil Ice Cream and Royal Rose Ice Cream. The Basil I wish I could have taken  it home.

Have to find it somewhere. So Flavor. Like sucking a Basil Leave...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not a most favorite cruise dessert, but a dessert that I discovered on a few HAL cruises at the ice cream station in the Lido Restaurant that I can find at home on occasion.  Haagan-Dazs Pineapple-Coconut Ice Cream.  Eating this takes me back to the tropics!  

52 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Not a most favorite cruise dessert, but a dessert that I discovered on a few HAL cruises at the ice cream station in the Lido Restaurant that I can find at home on occasion.  Haagan-Dazs Pineapple-Coconut Ice Cream.  Eating this takes me back to the tropics!  

rka,

I know what you mean trying items on Carib cruises.

I like either Coconut Ice Cream or Sorbet. Also Guava is very tasty of pureed right and frozen like a granita.

• Like 1

@BklynBoy8

I took the pic on the german cruiseship „Mein Schiff 6“ (TUI Cruises).

There are 2 of these icecrembars, one in the buffet restaurant, one at the pooldeck.

You do not have to pay for the icecream, the Crêpes and the waffles, it is all inclusive.

The icecream is delicious!

F5263163-8304-40F7-8106-AB92B45003A1.jpeg

7B786355-61E9-4F68-BFEC-8FFDC485B0D3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gelato has never been my preferred ice cream type dessert, but what I have had, I have enjoyed.  

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

IMHO, never saw an Ice Cream Bar on a cruise ship like in the photo.

I know Ice Cream is offered on board but not like Gelato setup.

Interesting. 

Agree that this display of Gelato exceeds any that I have seen and in two different venues!  That's surprising to me.  MSC Meraviglia had a section of Gelato, but, being of little interest to me, I didn't pay much attention to it.  I recall that there were many choices.  

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Gelato has never been my preferred ice cream type dessert, but what I have had, I have enjoyed.  

Agree that this display of Gelato exceeds any that I have seen and in two different venues!  That's surprising to me.  MSC Meraviglia had a section of Gelato, but, being of little interest to me, I didn't pay much attention to it.  I recall that there were many choices.  

Rka,

I don't know anyone who hasn't tasted Gelato and not like it. Only those with lacoste really have a problem.

Coming from Bensonhurst/Bath Beach or the little Italy of Brooklyn on Smith or Court Street near the Brooklyn Terminal, we are really blessed with the best Gelato then little Italy in Manhattan.

I think even Williamsburg near Peter Luger's turning Yuppie, are up and coming with Italian Desserts.

My favorite is Italian Expresso Roast Gelato with Chocolate Wafer cookies...

• 4 months later...

On Royal I had a key lime pie in the MDR that was served on a pastry crust not graham cracker.  It was incredible.

Also souffle.  I've never had a bad souffle on any line yet and will always order one because it is too difficult to make at home.

11 hours ago, GatorGirl1313 said:

Also souffle.  I've never had a bad souffle on any line yet and will always order one because it is too difficult to make at home.

We always look forward to Souffles on the QM2. We always have to order it the day before for the dinner time.

Always a treat!