Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mashisback

How smokey are the royal Caribbean casinos?

Recommended Posts

How smokey are the casinos, i know there are 'non smoking areas' but i assume these still get a bit smokey as well, and i dont really want to be restricted to just the non smoking areas... for example i like to play tables and i assume they will be in smoking area.

 

I was able to cope with it in vegas but i assume they are better air conditioned than a cruise ship and all the casinos are massive in vegas with high ceilings etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

much like the quality of food, it depends on perception of the individual.  My wife cannot stand it at all and even refuses to walk through the casino area when it is closed.  For me it is just barely tolerable, I would spend more time in there if it was non-smoking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can speak for Liberty. VERY. Seems like there is no time of the day without smokers. We have never stayed in the Casino, to play. On the bright side, does save me money.

Will be on the Enchantment next month. Post an update after cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an ex-smoker, and people smoking doesn't normally bother me, but after three nights of visiting the casino, I had developed a cough that I haven't had for many years.

Thankfully, our upcoming cruise is out of Australia, where there is zero indoor smoking on any ship.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote a long letter to Royal about smoking in the casino. I've placed some of it below. The response from Royal was a canned letter that was worth abut the price of the paper it was written on...  They really do not care.

 

This letter is to let you know of our displeasure with your Casino Royale smoking policy.
Smoking is limited to a very few areas onboard your ships. Casino Royale allows smoking. You usually set aside an area for nonsmoking. Passenger traffic through the casino makes these areas useless. We have noticed a great number of smokers using the casino as a smoking only area who do not participate in any of the gaming you provide. This has turned your casinos into dens of smoke even in the nonsmoking areas. We are also concerned with the second hand health issues.

The concentration of smoke in the casino, not only a second hand health issue, has become so strong we feel uncomfortable in the Casino Royale (they smell like an old cigar). Staying away from your casino is good for our health and wallet, bad for your bottom line. Remember, all those smokers not gaming are just polluting the air for those of us who do.

 

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT PASSENGERS USING THE CASINO AS A SMOKING AREA ONLY ARE NOT CREATING ANY REVENUE FOR YOU AND ARE CHASING MANY OF US AWAY…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on Enchantment Whitney Royal was resting no casino smoking. They did this for a month. It was so nice. Too bad they didn’t continue this policy. MB said they lost too much revenue during that test. Such a shame. I believe more would play if they knew that smoking would not be allowed in the casino. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  have a hard time walking through just to get from the forward to aft part of the ship. Even when it is closed the place still stinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mashisback said:

Anthems of the sea

I believe on sailings from the UK, smoking will be banned in the casino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As one of the PP's noted, it really depends on the ship.  We were on the Harmony last month and didn't find the smoke bad on the non-smoking side of the casino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I believe on sailings from the UK, smoking will be banned in the casino.

If this is the case... you have made my mind up! I was just about coming to the conclusion i dont want to go for the cruise because of replies but this swings things completely 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mashisback said:

Anthems of the sea

It was horrible when I sailed on her in November.  The casino is not set up like most Royal casinos and the smoking area is actually not separated.  Love the ship but hate the casino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mashisback said:

If this is the case... you have made my mind up! 

Anthem has not yet sailed from the UK but other ships have had this - we won't know for sure until her first sailing after dry dock. Maybe @little britain can confirm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mashisback said:

How smokey are the casinos, i know there are 'non smoking areas' but i assume these still get a bit smokey as well, and i dont really want to be restricted to just the non smoking areas... for example i like to play tables and i assume they will be in smoking area.

 

I was able to cope with it in vegas but i assume they are better air conditioned than a cruise ship and all the casinos are massive in vegas with high ceilings etc.

very.  if you need true smoke free, sail Celebrity.    on a few ship's it is so bad  that you can't even get near the entrance.

 

I need to by pass that end of the deck completely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mashisback said:

Anthems of the sea

 

There are slot machines on Anthem that are not too smokey.  The non-smoking area is larger on Anthem and if you play the machines that are closer to the Music Hall it isn't too bad at all.  If you play table games, it is really smokey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember they used to make formal nights, non-smoking nights on several of the ships.  This lasted a few years, and it was great 🙂 Somehow this initiative went away, and now it is very difficult to even walk through the casino at any time because the smoke is so thick. I agree with the previous poster who suggested that the smokers go to the casino not necessarily to partake in gambling, but to hover in groups around ashtrays, then promptly leave without spending any $.  I thought the non-smoking formal nights was a good compromise - I think RC should consider bringing it back for those of us who otherwise can't stand the casino, and would actually spend a bit of $ in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SC_Floaters said:

I wrote a long letter to Royal about smoking in the casino. I've placed some of it below. The response from Royal was a canned letter that was worth abut the price of the paper it was written on...  They really do not care.

 

This letter is to let you know of our displeasure with your Casino Royale smoking policy.
Smoking is limited to a very few areas onboard your ships. Casino Royale allows smoking. You usually set aside an area for nonsmoking. Passenger traffic through the casino makes these areas useless. We have noticed a great number of smokers using the casino as a smoking only area who do not participate in any of the gaming you provide. This has turned your casinos into dens of smoke even in the nonsmoking areas. We are also concerned with the second hand health issues.

The concentration of smoke in the casino, not only a second hand health issue, has become so strong we feel uncomfortable in the Casino Royale (they smell like an old cigar). Staying away from your casino is good for our health and wallet, bad for your bottom line. Remember, all those smokers not gaming are just polluting the air for those of us who do.

 

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT PASSENGERS USING THE CASINO AS A SMOKING AREA ONLY ARE NOT CREATING ANY REVENUE FOR YOU AND ARE CHASING MANY OF US AWAY…


If Royal Carribean would make more money from smokeless casinos, that’s what they would be. Unfortunately the reality is cruise lines, not just RCI, know from experience that casinos that allow smoking generate more revenue. I actually like their current policy, because it basically eliminates any desire I have to gamble on a cruise because I am not a fan of smoking and being around it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your going to get many responses and feelings on this so I thought I would throw in mine.  I'm a non smoker who loves to play the slots.  Even thought they set aside a non smoking section that only means you will not have a smoker beside you.  In reality it is all one big room and smoke drifts.  There is no getting away from the smell.  

Having said all that, I did not find it a problem but I'm not one of those who say they can't be around it because it makes them sick or whatever.   Yes, you know there are smokers in the room however with the ventilation they use the smoke itself dissipates rather quickly.  Smell is always there, it has seeped into everything.  Once I'm done in the casino I toss anything I was wearing into the laundry.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jalves said:

As one of the PP's noted, it really depends on the ship.  We were on the Harmony last month and didn't find the smoke bad on the non-smoking side of the casino.

That has been my experience on the Oasis class ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No smoking in the Empress casino is wonderful.  Just cruised on Ovation from Sydney.  No smoking in the casino was wonderful.  Like the UK, Oz bans indoor smoking.  

 

On other ships it varies.  If the weather is bad the ship has a smoking lounge that also features some gambling.  On Voyager class ships this tends to waffle over into Boleros and Starbucks when a ship has one or the Schooner Bar on the other end.  When the weather is good many smokers go to the pool deck so the casino cigarette loading is reduced.

 

Somehow Celebrity casinos survive being non-smoking.  It's just a matter of time before Royal goes non-smoking.  Maybe Bayley is or was a smoker so he continues to allows it on Royal ships.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...