Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

2 hours ago, villauk said:

A cruise ship is being held in Norway with suspected positive passengers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51716375

If they are confirmed, it will be interesting to see if they deal with it differently than the Diamond Princess.

According to the NYT the passengers are not being allowed to disembark awaiting the results of the tests so even if they are negative this is a bummer for the cruise.  Norway is a large cruise destination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The old adage applies here: "It's not over till it's over."  This is the summer to enjoy a domestic road trip.  At least you will have some control of your destination, and you won't be confined to your cabin wondering, "What next?"

Edited by riversights
spelling
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, villauk said:

A cruise ship is being held in Norway with suspected positive passengers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51716375

If they are confirmed, it will be interesting to see if they deal with it differently than the Diamond Princess.

I have more faith in Norway than Japan. Though Norway doesn't have the medical facilities that Japan does.

Edited by Coral

Hopefully this is my last message regarding our Cruise that isn't going to happen (at least for us) . . . I finally was able to speak to Customer Care @ Princess regarding our Mediterranean cruise on (Crown Princess) 04/11/20.  Heads UP, Princess is NEVER going to call /email regarding your cruise.   They are NOT offering to move cruise dates or offer incentives to remain with Princess for a future cruise.  We do have Princess Vacation Protection "Cancel for any reason" but will NOT get a full refund even if our DR has recommended we NOT travel at this time.  We can have our funds remain with Princess for a future cruise but will not have the funds returned to us. We were told to file a claim.  Princess does not consider cancelling because of the Caronavirus crisis a medical reason.  Seriously, even though the CDC has recommended no non-essential travel for Italy.  Oh and by the way, we have to file a claim for the penalty fees because we are less than 40 days from cruising.  If we  do not cancel before 03/14 the penalty fees will be 50% of our cruise.  I have not contacted AON Travel Ins. but will contact them today.  Good luck fellow travelers with your cruise plans.  (Also BTW, Princess told me there are many other ports besides stops in Italy that the ship can go to.  We specifically booked this FOR Italy.  Also we know that many ports are denying entry at this time so if the cruise departs as scheduled does anyone even know where it's going?)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, riversights said:

The old adage applies here: "It's not over till it's over."  This is the summer to enjoy a domestic road trip.  At least you will have some control of your destination, and you won't be confined to your cabin wondering, "What next?"

I appreciate this because I have just gotten word from half of my family group that they want to cancel our June family cruise because of all this coronavirus mess. I always book with Princess Platinum insurance (Cancel for any reason) thank goodness. Need to make a decision before our final payment is due in 3 weeks...am disappointed but not surprised. 

We (retirees) cancelled our February 29thCaribbean cruise on 2/6/2020.

Insurance claim filed on 2/6/2020.

Claimed received by AVON 2/6/2020 for reviewed.

Princess Insurance – Elite

“Cancelled for any reason”.

Two (2) Certificates issued (one for my wife and one for me) by Princess for partial amount on 2/24/2020.

Certificates must be used by 12/31/2021.

Balance (less certificate amount) credited to my Visa credit card on 2/24/2020.

As expected – insurance amount not covered ($191.94).

We still plan on taking 2 cruises later this year. 

Alaska in the summer and Canada/New England this fall.

John       

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bluesea321 said:

According to the NYT the passengers are not being allowed to disembark awaiting the results of the tests so even if they are negative this is a bummer for the cruise.  Norway is a large cruise destination.

passengers are clear to disembark

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/03/03/world/europe/ap-eu-virus-outbreak-norway-cruise-ship.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John99 said:

We (retirees) cancelled our February 29thCaribbean cruise on 2/6/2020.

Insurance claim filed on 2/6/2020.

Claimed received by AVON 2/6/2020 for reviewed.

Princess Insurance – Elite

“Cancelled for any reason”.

Two (2) Certificates issued (one for my wife and one for me) by Princess for partial amount on 2/24/2020.

Certificates must be used by 12/31/2021.

Balance (less certificate amount) credited to my Visa credit card on 2/24/2020.

As expected – insurance amount not covered ($191.94).

We still plan on taking 2 cruises later this year. 

Alaska in the summer and Canada/New England this fall.

John       

Did you find AVON easy to deal with....I have heard stories that sometimes they are not cooperative.

If I understand it the process....we have CFAR Princess Vacation Insurance.....we will be penalized by Princess 50% and receive Princess Certificates.  Then we apply to AVON and they refund the rest of our payment minus the insurance payment?

Did I understand correctly and do you have any other advice when canceling?

We will be spending quite a few weeks on the Ruby in about 5 weeks.  We will take the usual precautions that we take every cruise for maladies such as noro.   It never entered our minds to not take the cruise.  One cannot hide at home thinking they are safe witness those who died in Nashville in their own homes and most likely beds.  Life is a gamble and we all now the end.  Go now and enjoy life while taking reasonable precautions. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

while taking reasonable precautions

It doesn’t matter what precautions those on Diamond took, the final result was out of their hands. It’s like saying we’ll take hard-hats in case our ship is pelted with bricks and boulders like on the Sun. There are so many unknowns in the current climate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villauk said:

It doesn’t matter what precautions those on Diamond took, the final result was out of their hands. It’s like saying we’ll take hard-hats in case our ship is pelted with bricks and boulders like on the Sun. There are so many unknowns in the current climate.

Also until everything about this virus is known (and that won't be for a while yet especially if it mutates as most new viruses do in their early years, initially usually to more potent then over time to less so).  What we regard as reasonable precautions now may not be actually be enough in the cold light of day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kalynan said:

A different cruise line I know, however they've announced a Temporary change to their cancellation policy..........

https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Interesting. I would think that would encourage some to book or keep their bookings rather than cancel at final payment and yet keep the revenue by giving future cruise dollars vs a refund. 

Maybe that will start a trend other cruise lines will follow.

I have a 21 day cruise scheduled to leave Barcelona on April 11. There are number of stops in Italy, starting with Genoa. I am not worried about the flu, but do not want to end up being closed out of ports, 

I

The update doesn’t offer much detail but indicates the 2nd passenger from the Crown Princess has tested positive for the virus. Apparently there will be a press conference this morning to explain more. If true this will not help those already reconsidering cruising anytime soon. 

Edited by gottagocit

19 hours ago, wishIwascruising said:

Hopefully this is my last message regarding our Cruise that isn't going to happen (at least for us) . . . I finally was able to speak to Customer Care @ Princess regarding our Mediterranean cruise on (Crown Princess) 04/11/20.  Heads UP, Princess is NEVER going to call /email regarding your cruise.   They are NOT offering to move cruise dates or offer incentives to remain with Princess for a future cruise.  We do have Princess Vacation Protection "Cancel for any reason" but will NOT get a full refund even if our DR has recommended we NOT travel at this time.  We can have our funds remain with Princess for a future cruise but will not have the funds returned to us. We were told to file a claim.  Princess does not consider cancelling because of the Caronavirus crisis a medical reason.  Seriously, even though the CDC has recommended no non-essential travel for Italy.  Oh and by the way, we have to file a claim for the penalty fees because we are less than 40 days from cruising.  If we  do not cancel before 03/14 the penalty fees will be 50% of our cruise.  I have not contacted AON Travel Ins. but will contact them today.  Good luck fellow travelers with your cruise plans.  (Also BTW, Princess told me there are many other ports besides stops in Italy that the ship can go to.  We specifically booked this FOR Italy.  Also we know that many ports are denying entry at this time so if the cruise departs as scheduled does anyone even know where it's going?)

Thank you for the heads up. I’m on the Ft. Lauderdale to Rome segment, and keep wondering if Princess will let us know where we stand. I’m still betting that Princess will not end the cruise in Rome, or stop in any other Italian port, because it won’t want the liability of docking in a port where the CDC advises against travel.  They will most likely divert to other ports instead, which is not good for those of us with air tickets back from Rome. Princess may not be able to withstand the financial shock of paying to cancel the cruise, though, and may feel the need to carry on.  

Edited by Mackenzie1

2 hours ago, gottagocit said:

Interesting. I would think that would encourage some to book or keep their bookings rather than cancel at final payment and yet keep the revenue by giving future cruise dollars vs a refund. 

Maybe that will start a trend other cruise lines will follow.

You would hope so, this is a class act by Viking!

19 hours ago, wishIwascruising said:

We will soon be in your position with a June cruise and final payment date coming. We also have the CFAR Platinum coverage. So it sounds like if we cancel before final payment date, we get all money refunded. If we wait and cancel after final payment date, we would get a (ninety percent of fare) future cruise credit and then have to file a claim with Aon for the (ten percent cancellation fee) back  --- minus the insurance premium. And then as time goes on, the cancellation fee increases from ten percent to 50 percent, and then to 75 percent closest to the cruise date. Am I understanding this correctly? 

2 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

We will soon be in your position with a June cruise and final payment date coming. We also have the CFAR Platinum coverage. So it sounds like if we cancel before final payment date, we get all money refunded. If we wait and cancel after final payment date, we would get a (ninety percent of fare) future cruise credit and then have to file a claim with Aon for the (ten percent cancellation fee) back  --- minus the insurance premium. And then as time goes on, the cancellation fee increases from ten percent to 50 percent, and then to 75 percent closest to the cruise date. Am I understanding this correctly? 

Is that what it actually is??  this is what the insurance brochure says:

Platinum Vacation Protection “Any Reason”
Cruise Credits...................Up to 100% of the non-refundable prepaid cruise vacation cost Provided by Princess Cruises and/or
Princess Tours*
In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise
restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Cruise Vacation Protection, Princess Cruises
and/or Princess Tours will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% (100% if Platinum Vacation Protection was
purchased) of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation
prepaid to Princess Cruises and/or Princess
Tours, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered exclusively by
Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours as a special service to guests that purchase this passage contract
Cancellation Fee Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout
periods) may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of  cancellation must be given to Princess Cruises and/or
Princess Tours prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours,
please contact the Program Administrator at 1-877-846-8833 regarding cruise credits.

So I assumed I WOULD get my 100% back as a cruise credit (minus the insurance premium)  If this is incorrect I REALLY need to rethink this.

I have posted this twice before and this will be the last time..........lol

I cancelled after final payment for my TA which was to leave March 26

I received all money back to my CC within 5 days except the cost of the insurance and the future cruise credit I used for $100. Basically I lost only $379.

I think a lot of this depends how much you whine or you to talk to. I just emailed my Princess Travel Planner and it was done very quickly. This why I DO NOT use TA.

Kahy

• Like 1

The Grand  Princess is now in the same situation.  2 people who left on the last sailing have been diagnosed - 1 of whom died today.

The ship has missed it's last ports and is now on it's way back to SF.  The people who were doing a back to back have been told to stay in there cabins until they are checked and released.  No idea what happens next.

Edited by fragilek
  • Like 1