Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have 2 cruises  booked as B2B  starting April 18th to the Mexican Riviera  followed by a 7 night cruise to coastal California . both cruises are on the royal Princess . 

We are 80& 81  with under lining medical conditions  which weaken our immune system .Should we bethinking of cancelling  .We are in penalty now ? 

We watch what is going on with this virus  on our daily news . From this point of view it doesn't look promising ;except if warmer spring weather stops the virus from spreading  

What do you think we should do ?

This is so difficult to answer. This site:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

offers statistics related to fatality rates by age. It indicates preliminary data shows it is fatal for 14.8% of those in their 80’s who contract it. There is no way of knowing how that will change as time passes and more is known about the virus. If the trip is a once in a lifetime trip that you’ve dreamed off I would not make a decision now but would continue to follow its progression and make a decision as close to your trip as possible. If you are a regular cruiser I would not risk it and would cancel vs taking the risk given your age and the unknowns at this stage. 

If it’s not too late I would suggest you consider increasing your princess insurance coverage to the platinum level which will give you 100% cancel for any reason coverage later if you need it. It may be too late for that. 

I have never been on a cruise where I or my husband(or someone we are traveling with) have not gotten sick.  We are usually on longer cruises, but one of us always gets sick.  We are not old, in our late 50's.  We are healthy for the most part but always manage to get sick.  After our Greenland cruise I was sick for a month after the cruise with a terrible cough.

So, that leads to the question of how can they tell if I have the coronavirus or just a "regular" cold on board? So, for us, until we see how this  plays out, we will not be cruising in the near future. 

We cruise for the ports and missing ports would not be fun for us.  In fact, we were booked on the Westerdam (which was out to sea for 14 days and only allowed into one port) and cancelled due to the virus.  We are so glad we did because it would have been horrible for us to just be at sea for 13 days. 

Edited by Level six
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I have a really long cruise to/in Europe coming up. I have to say I am beginning to get spooked. Not necessarily of getting sick but having someone with a cough on our ship and the port not letting our ship in. I may have a cruise to nowhere for a month.

I'm with you - that's my worry too.  We're paying $$ for the whole family to go on this cruise.  Id rather have the money back if it's a cruise to nowhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gottagocit said:

This is so difficult to answer. This site:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

offers statistics related to fatality rates by age. It indicates preliminary data shows it is fatal for 14.8% of those in their 80’s who contract it. There is no way of knowing how that will change as time passes and more is known about the virus. If the trip is a once in a lifetime trip that you’ve dreamed off I would not make a decision now but would continue to follow its progression and make a decision as close to your trip as possible. If you are a regular cruiser I would not risk it and would cancel vs taking the risk given your age and the unknowns at this stage. 

If it’s not too late I would suggest you consider increasing your princess insurance coverage to the platinum level which will give you 100% cancel for any reason coverage later if you need it. It may be too late for that. 

Are we sure that Princess Platinum insurance will still fully protect (100% future cruise credit I believe) if you cancel at last minute due to concerns about coronavirus even if the cruise is not cancelled?

i know typically it says cancel “for any reason “ but these are strange circumstances 

we have our final payment coming up in a few days. We are planning on buying the princess platinum insurance when we make the final payment. I just hope it works that way in case things get a lot worse in next few months.

Our cruise is just in the Caribbean 

We are concerned and watching the situation carefully but at this time are still planning to cruise on our Tahiti to Hawaii itinerary in 23! days.

If matters get worse or it seems likely the ship will not be allowed to dock at multiple ports, we will decide at that time what to do.  So far being cautiously optimistic, but realistic. 

We will be taking extra precautions on the plane and on the cruise, for sure.

• Like 2

I also am among those not greatly concerned about the virus itself, but about the possibility of being treated harshly and impersonally because of the illness of another aboard a cruise ship, or not being able to dock. That will not stop me from going on my upcoming cruise, but at the slightest hint of trouble I am out of there.

• Like 1

I am taking a wait and see attitude. We are booked to cruise to Mexico in April and I'll be disappointed if we have to cancel because we both really need a vacation.  One travel agent on the local news says Mexico and areas south should be OK since the virus isn't there yet.  Hmmm....I'm not sure I agree because one person on a ship from Wuhan infected a lot of the people on the Diamond. We've purchased the insurance, I guess I need to check if it's Platinum insurance or not. 

I'm concerned about the virus.  I saw on the news tonight that the USA isn't as prepared as some of the other countries. The president says it's under control, but some of CDC says they need more money and time to make it happen.  

I'm also worried about Italy, since I have a lot of family in the region that's infected. 

My antivirus on my computer just sent me a message that hackers are sending out emails about the corona virus to panic people.  It says if you get one delete it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoopTennis said:

Are we sure that Princess Platinum insurance will still fully protect (100% future cruise credit I believe) if you cancel at last minute due to concerns about coronavirus even if the cruise is not cancelled?

i know typically it says cancel “for any reason “ but these are strange circumstances 

we have our final payment coming up in a few days. We are planning on buying the princess platinum insurance when we make the final payment. I just hope it works that way in case things get a lot worse in next few months.

Our cruise is just in the Caribbean 

It does work that way. You don't have to give a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sunshine 229 said:

And if you could, what good would that do? By now the virus is active very  in Italy too, so you're going to have to avoid Italians as well as Asians and what about that nice blue eyed blond American who just happened to be vacationing in Wuhan when the virus became active? 

This virus might have started in China but Asians are not the only ones who can be infected or can pass it on. 

Yes, that was my point. People who think they can avoid the virus by avoiding the geographic area where it started have a false sense of security. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have 2 cruises  booked as B2B  starting April 18th to the Mexican Riviera  followed by a 7 night cruise to coastal California . both cruises are on the royal Princess . 

We are 80& 81  with under lining medical conditions  which weaken our immune system .Should we bethinking of cancelling  .We are in penalty now ? 

We watch what is going on with this virus  on our daily news . From this point of view it doesn't look promising ;except if warmer spring weather stops the virus from spreading  

What do you think we should do ?

As noted by others here, no one can decide for you whether or not you should cancel. But knowing who is most at risk from this virus, and why it becomes life-threatening to some people and not others might help you to decide whether or not you should avoid cruising right now. I found the following article to be well written and answered a number of my questions.  A weakened immune system,  and chronic conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure are noted as putting someone at high risk. Hope this helps.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/19/how-coronavirus-kills/

15 hours ago, gottagocit said:

I called our Princess agent and she said I could not move up to Platinum level as it was after final payment date.  If that is incorrect I'd like to know.  

I wouldnt worry that much unless you are traveling to Asia. Europe is safe at the moment (dont mind news from Italy. those few sicilians dont count). Any Baltic or Atlantic cruises will be alright. Also, you can travel to Latin America and Caribbean and feel safe. I would (just in case) take a med.kit with me just feel safe. And make sure to check with your doctor beforehand

But if what I am hearing is correct, some cruise ships are now being denied docking in ports just because they have a passenger who has some symptoms that might possibly be indicative of covid-19.

If this is a cruise that you have saved for and is meant to be your cruise of a lifetime, how will you feel if you can't get into many of the ports you were looking forward too?

Not trying to panic anyone but just weighing in on the discussion of whether or not to cruise or to cancel at this time. Even if no one around you gets the virus, it could affect your cruise in major ways.

Also, I've seen comments above indicating that some people think that warm weather will stop or slow down the spread of this virus but I do not understand the reasoning here. The virus is spreading now in countries where the weather is quite warm and the warmth does not seem to be slowing it down there. 

• Like 1

We are on the Star Princess out of LA at the beginning of April.....wow...the good old "USA"  could be in a big mess by that time in a month....it does not take long for problems to spiral out of control....not sure if we will go...having second thoughts.... and can cancel soon and not lose  a ton of $$$$....for this close at home cruise I did not buy the Platinum insurance for us.....stupid I guess but that was back in November before all the bad new.....live and learn I guess.....

5 hours ago, sunshine 229 said:

But if what I am hearing is correct, some cruise ships are now being denied docking in ports just because they have a passenger who has some symptoms that might possibly be indicative of covid-19.

And this is the 64 million dollar question for cruise lines. One passenger or crew out of say 4000 people will likely display one of the symptoms on every cruise with nothing more than a cold but that may ban entry to ports. And then it’s a domino effect. 

The comment made about forgetting those Sicilians must be made in jest surely? It’s the northern regions of Italy that are in lockdown and it’s only just touched into Sicily. Geography not their strength it seems. And the north includes Venice. 

Edited by Pushka

5 hours ago, Mikel1733 said:

I called our Princess agent and she said I could not move up to Platinum level as it was after final payment date.  If that is incorrect I'd like to know.  

Yes, that would be correct.  Princess insurance must be added/purchased before final payment.  However, if you have the Standard level insurance I believe that it has 75% coverage for cancel for ant reason.  Reimbursement would be as future cruise credit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And this is the 64 million dollar question for cruise lines. One passenger or crew out of say 4000 people will likely display one of the symptoms on every cruise with nothing more than a cold but that may ban entry to ports. And then it’s a domino effect. 

Most of us will eventually be exposed to this virus, but what makes me apprehensive is the "panic" reaction to it. Look at Diamond Princess; quarantine everyone in their cabins for two weeks but still the virus spread. One "sick" person on a cruise and look out for the overreaction with quarantine and refusal to dock. I'm not saying this is not serious but overreaction to anything creates more of a problem than the problem itself.

We now know there is no stopping this, so we must prepare in a sensible way for what is coming.

• Like 2

I am trying to stay positive about out July Enchanted cruise that  we have planned for over a year, but I just don’t know. I am not afraid of catching the flu, but of being quarantined for 14 days and/or having ports refuse to allow the ship to dock. Being gone for that extra time is a deal breaker. So, this weekend we’ll do some research of other types of vacations that won’t involve being stuck on a ship for 14 extra days.  I’m still hopeful, though. 

• Like 2

I have a Caribbean cruise in May with NCL, same as most, not overly concerned with the virus but I am with the possibility of ncl cancelling it or worse, being unable to visit some ports. Ive read already of several ports refusing cruises, is there any complied place where I can read about them?

Same "boat" as many of you.  🙂  We are facing final payment in 2 1/2 weeks for a Princess cruise to the Norwegian fjords in June from Southampton.  Right now that whole area looks safe... but just today Norway had their first positive coronavirus diagnosis.  And who would want to spend 14 days rocking around in the North Sea if the ports decide not to let cruise ships in?  I'm not so much afraid of the virus as I am the quarantine for a long period of time - either in Europe or in the US upon return.  And, of course, I don't want to miss the point of the trip - visiting the ports.  Decisions, decisions.  

• Like 3

Already started....virus in Northern California......what will it be like in a month down in San Pedro waiting to get on the ship......still have 7 days left to cancel and eat only 50% of my cruise cost......looking at the bright side ....we will be comfy in our home not sitting on a ship with sick people and not being able to get off.....what a bummer.....

• Like 1