Another Price Drop After Final Payment Gripe

gmbhardy

My 12 day European cruise on the Escape this May has dropped $2,000. TA called and I was offered an upgrade from a BE to a MB. This was the third time we have called for restitution after a price drop (I realize that technically I’m not entitled to anything) and have never been offered OBC. We accepted the upgrade, but was wondering how so many people are able to negotiate OBC. The amount mentioned by most posters is 25% of the price drop. In my case that would be $500. Really could have used that for shore excursions.

7 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

My 12 day European cruise on the Escape this May has dropped $2,000. TA called and I was offered an upgrade from a BE to a MB. This was the third time we have called for restitution after a price drop (I realize that technically I’m not entitled to anything) and have never been offered OBC. We accepted the upgrade, but was wondering how so many people are able to negotiate OBC. The amount mentioned by most posters is 25% of the price drop. In my case that would be $500. Really could have used that for shore excursions.

Same discussion on my roll call for Escape TA on 4/18. Seems like people who have a Norwegian cruise consultant are the only ones getting OBC.  My TA offered me an upgrade from MC to MA but a guarantee only so I stayed with my original cabin.

11 minutes ago, klscaz said:

Same discussion on my roll call for Escape TA on 4/18. Seems like people who have a Norwegian cruise consultant are the only ones getting OBC.  My TA offered me an upgrade from MC to MA but a guarantee only so I stayed with my original cabin.

We had our MB cabin assigned so I guess we were lucky there was still a lot of inventory. I’ve turned down other upgrade offers because I always book angled balconies and I hate giving up the extra balcony space.

We had our MB cabin assigned so I guess we were lucky there was still a lot of inventory. I’ve turned down other upgrade offers because I always book angled balconies and I hate giving up the extra balcony space.

I guess the mini suites are all mid ship except for those on deck 8 forward with the large balconies. 

1 hour ago, klscaz said:

Not true. I was only offered an upgrade which was 25 % off, this was even after asking for an obc through cruise  consultant. 

12 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

Not true. I was only offered an upgrade which was 25 % off, this was even after asking for an obc through cruise  consultant. 

Maybe it depends what your Latitudes status is with them. 

So, you know you are not entitled to anything (you have a contract, not a technicality), yet all three times NCL has made a good will gesture and offered you a free upgrade....yet you are posting to gripe?  Aren’t you looking the gift horse in the mouth?  Your original budget covered $xxx for cabin plus $yyy for shore excursions; doesn’t that budget still hold?  Enjoy the extra space and be glad the cruise line made the goodwill gesture.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

So, you know you are not entitled to anything (you have a contract, not a technicality), yet all three times NCL has made a good will gesture and offered you a free upgrade....yet you are posting to gripe?  Aren’t you looking the gift horse in the mouth?  Your original budget covered $xxx for cabin plus $yyy for shore excursions; doesn’t that budget still hold?  Enjoy the extra space and be glad the cruise line made the goodwill gesture.

Yes I know that and somewhat agree with you. My point was that I don’t understand why some people are offered upgrades and others OBC. It appears to be totally discretionary. I have cruised with NCL 16 times in the past four years (four times in the Haven), have five more future cruises booked (two in the Haven) so at the risk of sounding arrogant, I think from a business prospective, it’s in NCL’s best interest to keep me happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

Yes I know that and somewhat agree with you. My point was that I don’t understand why some people are offered upgrades and others OBC. It appears to be totally discretionary. I have cruised with NCL 16 times in the past four years (four times in the Haven), have five more future cruises booked (two in the Haven) so at the risk of sounding arrogant, I think from a business prospective, it’s in NCL’s best interest to keep me happy.

Do TAs ask for the OBC? I don't think it would change their commission but if they don't ask, you won't get a choice. Another reason I won't give up control of my reservation.

3 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Mine dropped $500 and I got $115 OBC. Son's dropped $1200 and he got $250. No upgrade.

On my last cruise there was one cabin left in our category and they were fire sailing it at a price point 2k/person less than what we paid for ours - so I called my TA and he got NCL on the phone and they offered us a free upgrade from our penthouse suite to an owner's suite - or half the difference in Future Cruise Credit. The reason given for these two choices was that the $$ amount was greater than what they give OBC for. I took the FCC and booked my next cruise.

10 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Mine dropped $500 and my TA called and said I can only upgrade to a mini from my angled balcony.  I wanted to keep my cabin and asked for $125 OBC (25%).  Got it!  Maybe should have asked for more?

I don't think you could have gotten more OBC, but you might have been able to get $250 in future cruise credit.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:27 PM, JamieLogical said:

I don't think you could have gotten more OBC, but you might have been able to get $250 in future cruise credit.

Future cruise credit? Never heard of that but I’m getting more and more ticked that I was only offered an upgrade for a $2,000 price drop.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:41 PM, gmbhardy said:

Umm...it IS totally discretionary!! They have no written rules for it, none of it is written into your contract so you are not guaranteed anything. Therefore anything they offer is discretionary - including whether you get options to choose from or just one option.

You can always hang up and try a different rep to see if you'll get a different answer. 

11 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Future cruise credit? Never heard of that but I’m getting more and more ticked that I was only offered an upgrade for a $2,000 price drop.

On my December sailing on the Bliss, the price dropped significantly after final payment. We were offered an "upgrade" to a mini-suite with large balcony, 25% of the difference in OBC, or 50% of the difference in future cruise credit. We had no interest in the lack of privacy on the large balcony mini-suites and we already had plenty of OBC for this particular sailing, so we opted for the future cruise credit, which paid down a BIG chunk of our upcoming March sailing. I believe it was $345 per person.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

On my December sailing on the Bliss, the price dropped significantly after final payment. We were offered an "upgrade" to a mini-suite with large balcony, 25% of the difference in OBC, or 50% of the difference in future cruise credit. We had no interest in the lack of privacy on the large balcony mini-suites and we already had plenty of OBC for this particular sailing, so we opted for the future cruise credit, which paid down a BIG chunk of our upcoming March sailing. I believe it was $345 per person.

Wow, that was a great settlement. I’m going to show my TA this thread (and others) to give her more ammunition next time she calls concerning a price drop. Did you talk to a sales agent or a manager?

Wow, that was a great settlement. I’m going to show my TA this thread (and others) to give her more ammunition next time she calls concerning a price drop. Did you talk to a sales agent or a manager?

I talked to my PCC and she put me on hold while she called into another department to get me the offers and then came back to me with what had been offered. I had to decide right then, while she still had that other department on hold. It was a one-time offer so I didn't even have time to call/text my SO and ask what he thought, just had to pull the trigger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I talked to my PCC and she put me on hold while she called into another department to get me the offers and then came back to me with what had been offered. I had to decide right then, while she still had that other department on hold. It was a one-time offer so I didn't even have time to call/text my SO and ask what he thought, just had to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the info. It’s appreciated

Short Version:

It took time and determination but we got $500 OBC on a $1850.00 USD price drop.

Long Version:

We have a group of 10 rooms booked, most people are on their own for room payment. It took about 90 minutes on the phone, six transfers, much time On Hold,

but we got it.

The first call, after a few transfers, the agent we got was less than helpful, claimed the room category price I was seeing on-line didn’t exist and when we wanted to talk to a supervisor, they actually said call back later and hung up on us.

The second call also had some transfers but the agent we got was the complete opposite of the first one. We never actually talked directly to a supervisor but spent time On Hold while our phone agent negotiated for us. She also had problems seeing the rate drop but she went on-line like a regular person would, saw the drop, screenshot it, and forwarded it to a Supervisor. We were first offered Future Cruise Credit but refused because this is our first time and last time on Norwegian. Outside of this person, their Customer Service has been horrible and not worth going through again. We were then offered a Haven upgrade, not worth it since we booked one of the Bow Balconies for that location, are near our friends, and will be a large group. If it was just us we probably would have taken it. Eventually they agreed to $500 OBC for us AND the one other room under our control. 

• Like 1