Internet on Trans-Atlantic

Vinnyv20032003

Wondering if anyone can share their recent experiences (past few years) with MedallionNet specifically on Trans-Atlantic cruises. We are interested in booking the cruise, but would like some peace in mind on connectivity across the Atlantic before pulling the trigger. Thank you

We were on the Emerald westbound transatlantic in November. For the most part, internet service was great, so much better than it used to be. There were occasional spots where it was slow and one period of time when it did not work at all. I can't remember if that was due to poor satellite service or some issue onboard.

6 hours ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Wondering if anyone can share their recent experiences (past few years) with MedallionNet specifically on Trans-Atlantic cruises. We are interested in booking the cruise, but would like some peace in mind on connectivity across the Atlantic before pulling the trigger. Thank you

What ship?

Was on the Sky and it was terrible.

Someone else was on the Crown a few months ago and it was horrendous.

We were on the Crown for the same transatlantic and felt that the speed was acceptable.  Was it as fast as home, no. Were we able to keep up with things at home, yes. As an example we were able to listen to XM radio every night as we went to bed.  To me it’s all about expectations, we were fine. 

The internet worked but just excruciatingly slow. I could read my emails but I couldn't download my hometown paper. Streaming videos was definitely out of the question. We didn't try streaming just music. It took up to five minutes to include each photo in my live thread. 

11 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What ship?

Was on the Sky and it was terrible.

Someone else was on the Crown a few months ago and it was horrendous.

We are hoping to cruise on the Regal eastbound trans-atlantic in April. Just need the connectivity to be good enough to be able keep in touch with home via email. 

• Like 1

I think some of this is expectations.  People are very dependent on the internet these days and want what they want.  I'm always amazed at the number of people walking around looking at their phones, this is the age we live in now.

I take long cruises, 25+ days, many transatlantic, need to check things at home.  I've been able to do this, pretty sure I will do same in Sept. on the Sky.  My expectation it will not be as fast as my home system, not even close.  As long as I can do what I need to do, check in with my 80 year old sister, no problems.

I am not trying to upload anything, do anything with pictures, all I want to do is send an email or two, make sure I have no emails from my bank as I set everything up to be paid while I'm gone.

10 hours ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

We are hoping to cruise on the Regal eastbound trans-atlantic in April. Just need the connectivity to be good enough to be able keep in touch with home via email. 

We sailed the Regal eastbound TA last April. Averaged 4 Mbps down from Fort Lauderdale to Ponta Delgada. From Ponta Delgada it degraded as we moved north. I think I was still able to get e-mail or surf the web, but streaming was spotty.

Following are a couple of comments I posted:

4/16/2019

Currently on Regal Princess TA from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen. Download speed averaging 4Mbps down, 4Mbps up since leaving port. Fast enough to stream, but still much slower than what I had anticipated based on previous reviews.

4/20/2019

Well, after using it for the past week, I have to say it has been adequate. Might take a while to load, but I have been able to stream Netflix and Prime as well as my local tv programs. It has been a steady 4 Mbps all week as we make our way across the Atlantic.

9 hours ago, susancruzs said:

I think some of this is expectations. 

Princess advertises "The fastest Wi-Fi on the high seas."

That is what sets my expectations.

Per the Princess web site:

"We offer the fastest wifi on the high seas making it easier for you to stream movies, stay connected on social media and even text with friends and family on board with you! Our internet is fast and affordable and can be pre-purchased before you even step on board!"

"The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

Fast. Reliable. Unlimited."

• Like 1

I'm not doing the streaming of movies or TV,  trying to upload anything.  I probably shouldn't have said the expectations because I'm not paying attention to the Best Wi-Fi at Sea they claim.  

I travel alone so don't need to find others, family members.   I use the Internet Cafe to check my email, now and then.  If it works well, fine, if not I try another day.

2 hours ago, billco said:

We sailed the Regal eastbound TA last April. Averaged 4 Mbps down from Fort Lauderdale to Ponta Delgada. From Ponta Delgada it degraded as we moved north. I think I was still able to get e-mail or surf the web, but streaming was spotty.

Following are a couple of comments I posted:

4/16/2019

Currently on Regal Princess TA from Fort Lauderdale to Copenhagen. Download speed averaging 4Mbps down, 4Mbps up since leaving port. Fast enough to stream, but still much slower than what I had anticipated based on previous reviews.

4/20/2019

Well, after using it for the past week, I have to say it has been adequate. Might take a while to load, but I have been able to stream Netflix and Prime as well as my local tv programs. It has been a steady 4 Mbps all week as we make our way across the Atlantic.

Thank you for your insight, much appreciated! 

Yes we have an ill family member and we just are hoping to keep in touch via email.

Having done many TAs including two on ships with Medallion net.  While Medallion Net can be very good when it is working properly there is guarantee that it will work fast or at all.  In fact, on our August CB cruise, the Internet was completely down for nearly two days between Iceland and Canada.  They even put a sign in the computer room making it clear the system was down and there was nothing that could be done.  But last year when doing a TA on the regal we had good Internet all the way across the big pond.

Having spent an awful lot of time on cruise ships one learns not to count on having decent Internet.  When it is good it is just a nice bonus.   As to sick family and other bad news you might want to consider that when you are far out to sea there is nothing you can do but get depressed.  The good and bad news will still be there when you get to a port.   We also miss not getting daily news updates from our family, but that is the nature of long distance cruising.

Hank