Vista or Horizon?

Sersee

I know they are sister ships and probably mostly the same. I have only ever cruised on the Breeze and we really enjoyed it. It was out of Port Canaveral and a very easy process.

The Vista is out of Galveston and goes to Cozumel, Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. I have not been to any of these. I have been to Jamaica only in an all inclusive.

Horizon is out of Miami and goes to Aruba, Curaçao, La Romana and Amber Cove. Been to Amber Cove.

Im traveling with my daughter (22), her bf(24), my other daughter(18) and son (15). My husband is going too Lolol.

I have read a lot of hate about the Vista class ships. Although a lot don’t review when it’s a positive experience. 

We are able to have connecting balcony cabins in both ships(not Havana). The horizon cabin is on Deck 11 and Vista in 10. Looking at the a decks it seems these are ok areas for cabin? Meaning not so much noise?

Thank you for Any  insight.

Horizon for that itinerary more than the ship. I like the Horizon a lot. Never been on the Vista. But the southern itinerary is my favorite, so that’s the way I’d go.

Ive never been on deck 10 or 11, but not sure why there would be a ton of noise. Is either near the gym?

Edited by Hoosierpop

Not sure if you were looking at specific dates but Vista rotates weekly 2 Western Caribbean itineraries in 2020 (Cozumel/Grand Cayman/Jamaica or Cozumel/Belize/Honduras).  

Horizon rotates an 8 day Southern Caribbean followed by a 6 day Western Caribbean.  

I’m sure both are great and we’re going on the 6 day Horizon in October since we’ve never been to Miami and am originally from the Houston area.

Edited by soonernstlouis
  • Like 1

The ships are going to be basically the same so I would base it on ports. I'm assuming you're flying in. If so you may want to make sure you check into transportation from the Houston airport to Galveston. It's about an hour ride on the interstate. I think Miami will be a lot easier and cheaper to get to the ship. On your Horizon cruise I have only been to Amber Cove. You have as well so you know what to expect there. I'm going to Aruba this summer. They say the ABC's are one of the best cruises. You'd be hitting two of them.

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are probably the two most popular ports on the western side. You will have a lot of options at either port. Montego Bay....not so popular. I will recommend Dunn's River Falls there but it is a long day from Montego. I'm talking first off the ship and last back on. 

I have given a positive review for Vista. I'm going on Panorama Saturday if you want to join my live review thread. Currently my favorite ship is close between Vista and Breeze. If you would like a breakdown of the differences, I have that here:

https://saintgregtravel.com/dream-class-vs-vista-class/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are probably the two most popular ports on the western side. You will have a lot of options at either port. Montego Bay....not so popular. I will recommend Dunn's River Falls there but it is a long day from Montego

Greg, I forgot in my earlier post to mention the Western Caribbean trip for Horizon also rotates bi-weekly either Montego Bay or Ocho Rios.  We’re going on the one that has Ocho Rios since Dunn’s River Falls is on my wife’s bucket list.  So really Horizon does 3 different cruises every 4 weeks.

17 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

Greg, I forgot in my earlier post to mention the Western Caribbean trip for Horizon also rotates bi-weekly either Montego Bay or Ocho Rios.  We’re going on the one that has Ocho Rios since Dunn’s River Falls is on my wife’s bucket list.  So really Horizon does 3 different cruises every 4 weeks.

Ocho Rios would definitely be a lot more convenient for Dunn's River Falls than Montego.

It’s specific dates so the itinerary is what I had stated..  Amber Cove is ok. I’m not sure about La Romana? But Aruba and Curaçao seems incredible. I think I just made my decision 😂😂

If I liked the Breeze ... will the Horizon be a step up?

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Both are great ships with plenty of stuff to keep you busy. There are some complaints of certain venues, but the majority of people have a great time. I'm in the camp that the ship choice of the same class doesn't matter as much as the other things like itinerary, port, etc.

Even though Cozumel is frequent, I love it there. Grand Cayman is also a beautiful place. Montego I could do without.

The Horizon would be my choice though. 1 extra day of cruising is always a winner for me. Plus, Aruba and Curacao are great places to go. I haven't heard the most glowing reviews of La Romana though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sersee said:

It’s specific dates so the itinerary is what I had stated..  Amber Cove is ok. I’m not sure about La Romana? But Aruba and Curaçao seems incredible. I think I just made my decision 😂😂

If I liked the Breeze ... will the Horizon be a step up?

This is very subjective, but Breeze is a much nicer ship than VIsta or Horizon. I base that on we (my wife and I) enjoy the thalassotherapy pool and attending shows, especially comedy shows. Vista class ships don’t have a thalassotherapy pool and their theaters/lounges are significantly smaller than the ones on Breeze.  Now if you don’t care about the thalassotherapy pool and aren’t in to attending shows, that eliminates a big negative with Vista class ships. Like others have said, I would pick Horizon based on the itinerary. Curacao is my favorite port in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

Nope, don’t care about the thalassotherapy pool. On the Breeze we attended a show but thought it wasn’t good. We didn’t get a chance to go to the comedy club. 

We enjoyed the good. The Breeze was awesome with my sons allergies. We don’t care about the pools at all(they sleeve me lol). We had a great time at all the activities like trivia, shopping events and the deck parties. Loved our CD. His 80’s trivia was hysterical. 

My husband and I really enjoyed the Dive  in movies.

I looked in the port board but what does everyone do(recommend)while in Aruba, Curaçao and La Romana?

we definitely want beach. My husband is advents enough to try another excursion company so it needs to be through Carnival. Unless it’s safe enough to go into a taxi?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sersee said:

I looked in the port board but what does everyone do(recommend)while in Aruba, Curaçao and La Romana?

We definitely want beach

Best beaches in Aruba @:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147247-Activities-c61-t52-Aruba.html

Best beaches in Curaçao @:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147277-Activities-c61-t52-Curacao.html

Best beaches in La Romana @:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147292-Activities-c61-t52-La_Romana_La_Romana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

Use Google or a search engine of your choice & simply begin researching your ports of call. For Aruba, in regards to beaches, I'd recommend Palm Beach or Eagle beach.

No ship or private excursion necessary, do your homework/research, hop in a taxi, and you're off to the beach.

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Sersee said:

we definitely want beach. My husband is advents enough to try another excursion company so it needs to be through Carnival. Unless it’s safe enough to go into a taxi?

In La Romanna, look for a day pass at a nearby resort, or go with a reputable company on an atv or truck tour to waterfalls.  Aruba is a beach or shopping mecca, and Curacao is known for its diving and snorkeling.

Aruba and Curacao .. I should not have any issues with Taxi's ? I would love the beach and shopping lol. I guess what I was asking is more about the sketchy safety level as well. When we went to Montego Bay, it was a little sketchy and we were in a resort transfer. 

That is a great idea about a day pass. I saw the one that Carnival has, but I also heard that is where everyone goes. I will see what resorts are close.

Aruba and Curaçao are happy islands!!!!

La Romana the beach Bayahibe isnsafe thing is with Dominican Republic if you speak Spanish you're safe . 

Even Aruba and Curaçao if you know Dutch and pamiento and Portuguese and Spanish and African languages you're okay. But Aruba and Curaçao are literally happy places.

7 hours ago, Sersee said:

Aruba and Curacao .. I should not have any issues with Taxi's ? I would love the beach and shopping lol. I guess what I was asking is more about the sketchy safety level as well. When we went to Montego Bay, it was a little sketchy and we were in a resort transfer. 

That is a great idea about a day pass. I saw the one that Carnival has, but I also heard that is where everyone goes. I will see what resorts are close.

On 2/23/2020 at 4:25 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

This is very subjective, but Breeze is a much nicer ship than VIsta or Horizon. I base that on we (my wife and I) enjoy the thalassotherapy pool and attending shows, especially comedy shows. Vista class ships don’t have a thalassotherapy pool and their theaters/lounges are significantly smaller than the ones on Breeze.  Now if you don’t care about the thalassotherapy pool and aren’t in to attending shows, that eliminates a big negative with Vista class ships. Like others have said, I would pick Horizon based on the itinerary. Curacao is my favorite port in the Caribbean. 

Each has pros and cons. The Breeze is a fantastic ship indeed that may be the better choice for some people. The Vista includes heavy hitters like a Brewery, SkyRide, Imax, Havana, and more specialty dining. Those things may not be for everyone either.

• Like 1