Navigator of Seas review February 17

jandj1224

We had a great trip on Navigator of Seas.   We were traveling as a family of 4 with two kids ages 11 and 9.  We cruise at least once a year and have had varied experiences ranging from inside rooms to Haven on NCL and Star class on Allure. 
We spent the night before the cruise at the Intercontinental Miami. We had a good experience. We chose this hotel due to the proximity to the port. The morning we boarded, we called an Uber around 10:20. The process of getting checked in and through security was quick. 
I had booked the unlimited dining package and was anxious to make my dining reservations. When I booked it was $99 per person for our 4 day cruise.  I had no problem getting reservations at each of the restaurants. 
After a quick trip up to the pool deck to check things out we headed to chops for lunch (much to my kids dismay). My husband’s favorite is the shrimp cocktail.   By the time we finished lunch they announced rooms were open. 
We had booked two adjoining promenade view rooms on deck 8. When coming down the hall to our rooms we found our suitcases scattered through the hallway. I guess the new process is to leave bags in the vicinity which left people searching for bags. 
I wanted connecting rooms and the price was right for the inside promenade view.  The kids liked being able to look out to the parties going on at promenade. Our rooms were directly across from Playmakers which was a frequent hang out spot and convenient to our rooms.  The connecting door was locked on our arrival and required a call to guest services to get someone who could come to unlock.  Overall room served its purpose. It was nice having two bathrooms and really only slightly more expensive then 4 of us in one cabin. We did miss balcony and will consider if cost is worth it for future trips. 
The kids changed into their suits and we headed to water slides around 2:30.  Not before stopping for ice cream cones. Their favorite part of any cruise.  Wait times were moderate about 25-30 min for raft slide. We spent some time by the pool and then headed back the room to get settled before muster drill. 
We changed for dinner and headed to the silent dance party. So much fun!  Kids really enjoyed. We had dinner at 7:30 at hooked so went straight there from the party.   Dinner was very good. I had the crab cake and filet with lobster tail and my husband had the mussels and lobster. 
Day 2 brought us to CoCo Cay. We enjoyed breakfast in the Windjammer and were walking on the pier by around 9:20. We had booked passes for the CoCo Cay beach club.  We made a quick stop at the kids free waterslides on our walk over there. We got there around 9:40. Checked in and were given VIP bracelets.  I was concerned due to so few reviews that it would be crowded. It wasn’t. The pool was cold. Kids went in few times but it was even cold for them. We settled in some lounge chairs and spent the day relaxing. We had an early lunch. Food was good but service wasn’t great.  
Overall we had a nice experience. Walking back to the ship through some of the free areas I don’t think we would book the beach club again. I’m pretty sure we would have been able to have a perfect day without the added expense. 
Dinner on day 2 was at Chops. My third Filet mignon of the trip!  
Took my younger daughter to the production show that night. Have to say wasn’t too impressed with the production shows on board.  Seemed like shows weren’t too crowded so maybe not a priority on shorter cruises. 
On the sea day the kids waited again for waterslide. We had been planning to do earlier ice show but that didn’t work out as wait for waterslide was pretty long.

For lunch I ordered a lobster roll to go from Hooked. They told me would be about 45 min so I went back to pick it up. I had planned to get sushi, which was  supposed to be open for lunch as per cruise planner, however was told they were doing a sushi class and it was closed. That was annoying.  Lobster roll was delicious. Would highly recommend. 

We ended up at the 3pm ice show. Show was great. We sat across from the reserved seats which they opened up a few minutes before the show started so we had great seats. 
We went to open skating. Got there about 30 min early and were in the first session. Sessions run 30 min so skated 5:30-6. 
Dinner day 3 was in Jamie’s Italian. The show was someone who did Juggling. It was ok. The performer was very nice and we actually ended up seeing him in Windjammer the next morning at breakfast. He came over to talk to us after we said hi. 
Day 4 was Nassau Bahamas. We had debated doing a beach excursion but having been to the Bahamas several times decided to spend the day relaxing on the boat. We went to waterslides shortly after they opened but found the lines to be long. A tip here... give it about an hour. By 12 kids could walk right up and go on with no waits. I had a massage appointment at 1pm. I don’t typically go to spa because I hate overpaying for something but they had a special $99 for 50 min. Still a rip off but I had a nice massage experience.  
Girls wanted hair braids so we walked just off the ship to get done. Prices advertised are definitely negotiable. 

They had laser tag starting at 4:30. By the time we got on line around 4:20 the line was very long. They take groups of like 12 with each session lasting 15 min.  We waited and didn’t end up playing till about 6pm. So be warned. Get there early to be in first group or be prepared to wait. 
After laser tag we made a quick stop at rock climbing wall and then pick up soccer game on sports court. It was a great day of adventures. 
We had originally planned on chops but truth be told I was getting sick of filet. We switched and did Jamie’s again. Kids decided they would rather go to camp then sit at dinner.  Again went to production show which wasn’t very impressive. 
We walked off with our luggage around 9am. We were in an Uber to airport by 9:25. 
Overall we had an excellent vacation!  4 days was definitely not long enough. 
Final thoughts: I felt the unlimited dining package was a great deal. In addition to specialty dinners each night we got Johnny Rockets several times, snacks and desserts at Playmakers and lunch on embarkation and sea day.  My understanding was that when going with kids we would be charged $10 per child for specialty dining. They never charged us for the kids. Friends we were with who did not have the unlimited package were charged for the kids in specialty restaurants.  So while I’m not sure if this is policy or if we got lucky it was a great bonus!  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the review.  We are taking Son, DIL, and GD on this cruise in November, just reversed.  I surprised the lines for the slides were so long, would have thought this would be more off-season for the kiddos.  Did you do Izumi at all?  I believe they have Hot Rocks instead of Hibachi and curious how that is.  The kids love sushi but we prefer cooked items, and that doesn't include California Rolls.  We had the UDP in December and thought it was great so debating whether to get it on this cruise.  DH loves the hamburgers from Playmakers and Son can turn into a hot wing....

Edited by jk04

Thanks for your review!   Given that it’s a super busy week (Presidents’ Day / school vacation week etc) - I would have had reservations for cococay as well!  

we are going on NAV April 20th (MA school vacation week) with our 9 and 13 year olds and we have the dining package for the 2 of us adults!   Reading that part of your review was excellent!  When your kids joined you - did they eat off the restaurants kids menu?  And when did you make reservations? Boarding day or daily? And did you make them for 4 people?  Any penalty for kids not showing up?   My son being 13 is killing me - he does not want to be spending time at long meals especially when stand up Flowrider time is near dinner and there is an El Loco Fresh - but I also know he will want to join us at least once..I’ve been torn between getting him the UDP or just the Chops+1...but reading about the smoothies and playmakers stops is making me think about this differently! 

Laser tag is a priority for us - we are regular Disney goers so I feel like we should try to employ a ‘rope drop’ strategy to it and have one of us be in line an hour early to be in the first group or something...Im sure if bribed with a smoothie or milk shake I can also get my kids to wait in line too! Ha!    And thanks for the pro-tip on the slides!   We have tentatively gotten a snorkeling excursion at 2:30 on our Nassau day (day 2 for us) but a little unsure if we are keeping it.   

Did your kids enjoy the kids club?  I’m hoping my 9yo will go - our last cruise she was with the 6-8 and did not have nearly as much fun there as she did when she was 6 in the 6-8s!!  But I think she will be happier with 9-11/12s!    And I know my 13yo will have fun with anyone in the teen area or anyone at a sports court - he is a good joiner, a good athlete, 5’9” tall and super cute (even with the dorky braces) - so these situations are easier for him than most other humans!!   

16 hours ago, Cel_cruise said:

When your kids joined you - did they eat off the restaurants kids menu?  And when did you make reservations? Boarding day or daily? And did you make them for 4 people?  Any penalty for kids not showing up?   I’ve been torn between getting him the UDP or just the Chops+1...but reading about the smoothies and playmakers stops is making me think about this differently! 

The first lunch in chops they didn't offer a kids menu and they ordered off regular lunch menu.  All other times they ordered off a kids menu.  We made all dinner reservations when first getting on the boat.  We switched venues on the last night about an hour before hand.  Depending on if you think your son will be with you, we had no issue ordering multiple items from playmakers or johnny rockets with our credit and sharing with kids.  So if you think you'll be together UDP might not be necessary. 

Laser tag is a priority for us - we are regular Disney goers so I feel like we should try to employ a ‘rope drop’ strategy to it and have one of us be in line an hour early to be in the first group or something...Im sure if bribed with a smoothie or milk shake I can also get my kids to wait in line too! Ha!   

I am also a super planner and hated that I couldn't plan for show times etc. ahead of time.  I don't know if you need an hour early but maybe 30 min before activity starts.  My kids were fine overall waiting.  You enter the area and sit and wait with about 3 groups ahead of you so you are moving around a little.  I actually didn't realize how long it took till I went back to look at my picture time stamps. 

Did your kids enjoy the kids club?  I’m hoping my 9yo will go - our last cruise she was with the 6-8 and did not have nearly as much fun there as she did when she was 6 in the 6-8s!!  But I think she will be happier with 9-11/12s!    And I know my 13yo will have fun with anyone in the teen area or anyone at a sports court - he is a good joiner, a good athlete, 5’9” tall and super cute (even with the dorky braces) - so these situations are easier for him than most other humans!!   

My girls did enjoy the kids club.  Being such a short cruise there was really only limited times they could use it.  On our trip they had all 6-11 together in one area.  My older daughter also hates sitting at restaurants for long meals and skipped last dinner (with no penalty to us for being only 3).