Is there an immigration or passport check when boarding Pride of America?

Plombir

I assume you have some immigration status issue...don't forget that the plan right now is for October+ flights to require RealID which requires proof of citizenship/status.  Now, I don't know how that aligns with non-expired foreign IDs...can you still fly?  Does RealID imply an immigration check?  I have no idea.  But think about that if you have to make your way to Hawaii after that goes into effect.

In case you are wondering about domestic flights this is the ruling as of 2019 but as far as how that fits in with RealID again I don't know.  Honestly probably why they keep pushing that date back and rightly so imo.  Please don't flame me, these are people too and neither I nor you know their stories.  We are the land of the free after all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/11/customs-officers-cannot-randomly-check-papers-domestic-flights/1700254001/

Here is one more data source for you https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1898994-flying-domestically-foreign-passport.html

I think you will be OK but I would talk to an immigration atty re the RealID situation.  The ship doesn't leave US waters so there is no reason whatsoever for immigration checks and if there are then it looks like according to precedent that those would have to be voluntary.  

Edited by SunnyTahitianDaze
typos

Thanks. I don't have any problem to fly. I fly every month and I've been to Hawaii twice. On read on nlc website: There's no need for a passport when you sail on any Hawaii inter-island cruise. If your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. which includes a passport or a valid driver's license with a photo. So I hope I'm good and I already bought a cruise on April.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Plombir said:

Thanks. I don't have any problem to fly. I fly every month and I've been to Hawaii twice. On read on nlc website: There's no need for a passport when you sail on any Hawaii inter-island cruise. If your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. which includes a passport or a valid driver's license with a photo. So I hope I'm good and I already bought a cruise on April.

Let's put this into context for further discussion:

For cruise travel on the POA all in USA waters you presently need a drivers license -

AFTER October 1 2020 a REAL ID drivers license ? 

While a Passport is not required - a Passport will be sufficient to replace any drivers license document

for ID purposes but not driving !

A Global Entry or Passport ID card maybe also be sufficient ?

Realize that there are a lot of sights in the Hawaiian Islands that are government facilities and if no Passport or

GE card the REAL ID maybe necessary for access to pass the sentry gates Hickam Pearl Harbor Fort Shafter

Kaneohe MCS Camp Smith Schofield etc. Veterans have their own ID

One curious thought - How did you get to Hawaii on a airline without identification of any kind ?

Yes, the only wrinkle could be the Real ID driver's license.  If your driver's license has the gold star in the corner, it is Real ID compliant, which will be fine for domestic travel after the deadline this year (if it doesn't get pushed back again), and for all government facilities.

10 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

For cruise travel on the POA all in USA waters you presently need a drivers license -

AFTER October 1 2020 a REAL ID drivers license ? 

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the only wrinkle could be the Real ID driver's license.  If your driver's license has the gold star in the corner, it is Real ID compliant, which will be fine for domestic travel after the deadline this year (if it doesn't get pushed back again), and for all government facilities.

To date the government has not included cruising as a form of travel requiring REAL ID. The October 1, 2020 REAL ID deadline will not affect those using a drivers license as proof of ID for boarding cruise ships.

Edited by njhorseman

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

To date the government has not included cruising as a form of travel requiring REAL ID. The October 1, 2020 REAL ID deadline will not affect those using a drivers license as proof of ID for boarding cruise ships.

Not directly, but you'd still need a REAL ID or a passport to get to Hawaii in the first place.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes...I specifically said it is not required "for boarding cruise ships" so I was addressing that issue only.

Yes...just as I specifically said that it would be required in order to travel TO Hawaii so I was addressing that issue only.

IOW, you may not need it to get ON the cruise ship, but you will need it to get TO the cruise ship..so anyway that you slice it, you'll still need it.

This comes up from time to time. A person here legally who is applying for a longer work visa cannot leave the country during the visa application process. That can take six months or more. So a flight to Hawai'i, and a cruise on the POA, fits the prohibition without endangering the visa status. They can fly on their foreign passport domestically.