Christmas Cruises and Kids

Elsie26

We just got back from our first cruise last Sunday and booked our second one on Saturday. We decided on a Christmas cruise out of Galveston aboard Jewel of the Seas. It's an 11 day cruise from 12/22-1/2 and hits many bucket list ports. Would like to hear from those with experience how many kids we should expect. Since it's a small ship without all the fancy amenities, I'm wondering if families avoid it. 

I don't dislike kids, and there weren't that many on our cruise, but was surprised at how many were unchaperoned. 

There will be many unchaperoned kids/teens on your cruise. It’s one of the only times families can take a cruise longer than 7 days and as you said - it’s a great itinerary!    

And honestly - the main reason that my family enjoyed cruising 30 years ago when I was a teen onboard and that my current family that includes kids (currently 9 and 13) is that the kids don’t need constant supervision, thus their parents can get a little down time to!! 

of course I expect my kids to be well behaved, to use activities as they are intended, and to make good choices that “would not embarrass us if our boss were watching them” -  but they will definitely be unsupervised (but checked in on) regularly!!!   

But - I genuinely hope that you enjoy your cruise!!!   Use the Solarium on Jewel as a quieter place! 

We just did Brilliance this past Christmas.  Lots of kids and big groups of extended families.  I did not experience the same degree of unsupervised kids running around that I have on past cruises during Spring Break week.  The Christmas week crowd seemed mellower overall.