So, if one person is refused boarding...

Sun Queen II

Was reading all the posts related to Coronovirus and looking at Oceania’s website.  According to them, if a passenger is showing signs of illness (e.g., temperature, coughing), they will not be permitted to board the ship.  

So what happens to the spouse - is he/she refused boarding as well, or must they sail on their own or risk losing their money?

Assume our travel insurance would cover spouse who is ill, what about the other one?

A wonderful question to address to your TA pans/or source of your travel insurance. I have personally never seen or experienced that situation. Most people sailing are couples and wouldn’t consider leaving their SO on the dock sick in Hong Kong or Rio as they sailed away. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sun Queen II said:

Was reading all the posts related to Coronovirus and looking at Oceania’s website.  According to them, if a passenger is showing signs of illness (e.g., temperature, coughing), they will not be permitted to board the ship.  

So what happens to the spouse - is he/she refused boarding as well, or must they sail on their own or risk losing their money?

Assume our travel insurance would cover spouse who is ill, what about the other one?

We had an awful situation occur in St Martin of all places where Jims leg was broken very seriously by a rogue wave mid cruise (this was not on Oceania).

After the accident but before the ship sailed EVERYONE in authority encouraged Stan to continue on alone loudly and often (thank heavens he refused).  

After the ship sailed, in any situation where insurance was applicable,  his expenses were treated as "our" expenses and were universally covered.  We were stuck there for an extra four days, so this included rental car, lodging and food for Stan while I was in the hospital.

It is worth noting that his lodging was not in a hotel, but at a rooming house for locals which had been recommended by the Cruise Line (HAL) because the incident took place during peak season (Carnival). 

Edited by StanandJim

Not sure how it works under the current situation with the Corona virus   I would guess if one spouse is ill  they would deny boarding to both

It is  a question for the insurance company

In other situations  the insurance has covered both of us as both names were on the policy

DH got sick the day before  sailing  the ins paid  for both of us

DH got sick part way through a cruise   we flew home  & the ins paid  for the part of the cruise fare  plus private pre paid tours & airfare home

The crusher here is that these forehead scanning temperature-taking devices can be off.

Saw various reports on the weekend where they tried off-the-shelf models and they could be off by up to 4C or 7F. They're built for industrial use/precision, not human medical use.

The ones off by that much don't scare me... any such readings would be dismissed as ridiculous. Nobody runs a fever of 106. 

Ones off by, oh, 1/4 to 1/3 that much, well... that's a recipe for denying healthy people boarding if the scanners are running high, and for  allowing sick people aboard if they are running low. 

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The cruise lines should have these , or similar, procedures all the time. Consider the number of Noro virus outbreaks that would be stopped at the dock before boarding!

that is not correct

I was perfectly fine   until  the noro  hit me

No fever no pains  until I was in the throws of it

In fact I thought it was food poisoning  from airport food  on the flight home

On 2/24/2020 at 7:27 AM, LHT28 said:

Not sure how it works under the current situation with the Corona virus   I would guess if one spouse is ill  they would deny boarding to both

It is  a question for the insurance company

That sure makes a lot of sense.  Insurance aside, the other spouse would have been exposed so should be excluded from boarding.  

Additionally, refund or insurance aside, I can't imagine continuing on a cruise with Mrs Ldubs left in the terminal.  

So DH called our insurance provider yesterday, and they told him that this was the first question that they have had regarding Coronovirus and ships denying boarding of someone who appears ill.  They didn’t have a clear answer for him, and basically said that if you are denied boarding because of cold symptoms and the ship’s fear that it may be something more, that the spouse does not have to board, but that there is no guarantee that the insurance will reimburse the cost of the trip, They will have to assess on a case-by-case basis.  This is is with Manulife 😞

27 minutes ago, Shawnino said:

Admit it: I cannot be the only one who would love a cruise without my spouse.

😉

😂😂

When the cat is away!!

Just having access to the bathroom , aboard ship, whenever you want would be a new experience!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shawnino said:

Admit it: I cannot be the only one who would love a cruise without my spouse.

😉

You seem to be forgetting that the cruise will end and you have to go home!!  What are the chances that your key will work?

• Like 1