CCL stock dips below 40

Farts

Well I finally did it after weeks of considering it, bought 200 shares today (100 @ $8 and 100 @ 8.30). I regretted not buying it when it got down to $8 last week or whenever that was. Was only planning to buy the 100 shares as a long term investment and for the OBC perk, but I'm hoping it will jump back up to $15-$16 rather quickly again so I can sell off 100 and make my money back and still have my 100 shares for the long-term haha.

We will see how it goes. I'm a bit nervous since most of the experts seem to be saying it's too risky to buy right now, but I was seriously considering buying it when it got down to $20 so I couldn't pass it up after it dipped this low a second time haha.

• Like 1

Picked up 200 shares at 7.99 today. We're in it for the long haul. I've always gone with "invest in what you love." It'll take a good while, but I think Carnival will be just fine. Very few people are going to give up cruising, and there are far more people who are now looking forward to cruising again at some point more than ever. 

• Like 1

We tried to buy when it went under $8 last time but it took forever for the bank to set up our account.  Finally bought our first 100 at $8.13 today.  Waiting to see if we can snag another 100 a bit lower.

8 hours ago, PaulieG13 said:

I have 150 shares of CUK stock (100 @ $9 last week, 50 @ $8 Yesterday).  This stock is consistently around .50 - $1 cheaper than CCL going back over 52 weeks.  You get the same OBC with CUK as you do CCL and until this week, the same dividends (well actually still the same dividends, $0).  

So, question for the group.  Why is anybody who is buying small amounts (like most of us in here are talking about) only talking about CCL stock?

What is CUK ??

13 hours ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

I wish I understood how to invest in the stock market. I tried googling it but it was so confusing. I wouldn't want to spend so much money and not even know what I was doing

It is all about taking the risk even the brokers probably do not know more then you do. Buying CCL at 8.00 Dollars a share is a good bet if you look at the past earrings. The stock will go up how long it takes that is the question. 

Edited by shipbound2

6 hours ago, milamber said:

Is there any difference between the original shares and the new issue if we were looking to buy?

not any more, you have no idea what you "get". but the new shares are just issued to specific banks at a specified price. they then take it to the market to sell at the open price. the banks make a little money on that usually.

You do realise your stocks are being diluted   more and more shares.

Will never get back to 50.00  sith all the debt they are creating.   The 6 billion at 10.5 %    will let them survive probably,  if not your shares are zero.

Edited by wilsonqbc

6 hours ago, wilsonqbc said:

You do realise your stocks are being diluted   more and more shares.

Will never get back to 50.00  sith all the debt they are creating.   The 6 billion at 10.5 %    will let them survive probably,  if not your shares are zero.

I don't understand how that works. Say, theoretically, a company had only 4 shares of stock. I own one so I own 25% of the company. Then they can just issue a 5th share, and suddenly I own only 20% of the company? It doesn't seem like that could be right. It seems like that 5th share would have to be giving up some privately held portion of the company or something. (Which would imply I never owned 25% of it in the first place)

Edited by Earthworm Jim

57 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't understand how that works. Say, theoretically, a company had only 4 shares of stock. I own one so I own 25% of the company. Then they can just issue a 5th share, and suddenly I own only 20% of the company? It doesn't seem like that could be right. It seems like that 5th share would have to be giving up some privately held portion of the company or something. (Which would imply I never owned 25% of it in the first place)

No your 1st statement is more in-line with reality.  The market cap of a company doesn't magically increase. So when you add more stock you dilute the per share value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I don't understand how that works. Say, theoretically, a company had only 4 shares of stock. I own one so I own 25% of the company. Then they can just issue a 5th share, and suddenly I own only 20% of the company? 

In a word, yes.  And you not only own less of a company, that company simultaneously took on a lot of debt at a high interest rate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EBONI325 said:

I've never bought any stock, how would I go about it? TIA

Do you have a Roth IRA? If not, and your adjusted gross income is below $122,000 you can contribute up to $6000 in 2019 up until July 15 (the new tax deadline for 2019) into a Roth IRA. The great thing about a Roth IRA is that our money grows tax free and there are no taxes on your withdrawals in retirement.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/investing/what-is-a-roth-ira

Then go to an online broker, I use Vanguard (Roth IRA) and TD Ameritrade (taxable account), and open up a Roth IRA. After you link your bank accounts with your brokerage, you will be able to buy stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and more. 

Of course, you can do all of the above in a taxable brokerage account, but that should be your last resort since you will pay taxes on capital gains. Please post again if you have any questions as many people here are willing to help.