Changing our Dining Preference

Wife and I are going on our first cruise, RCC Grandeur of the Seas, embarking from Baltimore on 2/28.  We orig. told our TA that we wanted late dining; however since then we decided to request My time.  Our TA looked, not avail. as of last week; she suggested we contact the maître de when we board and that we could probably get it switched.  Anyone ever been in this situation?  My fault totally, should have requested My Time to begin with but "ignorance is bliss...." 

Your situation is not uncommon as many cruisers want to change their dining preference.  Since you are dealing with a last minute change, it is unlikely that your TA can get anything done.  Once you board the ship you can ask where to go to request a change.  It is usually at one of the Main Dining room doors where a Maitre'd will deal with change requests and this will happen for several hours on embarkation afternoon.  It is likely that you will go to the Lido buffet, as soon as you board, to get lunch.  There will be multiple senior dining staff at the buffet and you could also ask any of them what time and where to go to change your dining preference.  Just keep in mind that it is possible you will not get the change you want if that preference is already filled.  In such a case they will usually put you on a wait list and might be able to honor your request within a day.  If it makes you feel better, these kind of change requests are very common on all cruise lines.

Hank

Hopefully the OP will get the dining time changed to their new preferred window.  They should know that loyalty program cruisers get priority seating, and many will have already chosen early or ATD.

One way around MDR seating, is to arrange dinners closer to their time preference at specialty restaurants.  This might cost a bit for a package, but the food is far superior to the MDR service.

MTD is limited in space as it uses part of the MDR along with the set early and late seating guests for the MTD guests as well.  So it can close and not be an option to make a late change close to the sailing date.  Available times also can close out due to advance reservations. There may be very little a TA (or the cruise line directly for that matter) can do. 

However, once on board the Matire D may be able to accommodate this as he will have the ship's passenger dining schedule at hand and maybe can find available times offer or other passengers with opposite changes that will work to your benefit.  Certainly worth asking and I would suggest going immediately to the Maitre D in the MDR - he will be there - after you board to discuss.